Swimming pool construction

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I will be building a house in the Sosua area and would like some input on what type of swimming pool to install. It appears that fiberglass pools are not manufacured in the DR. Apparently poured concrete or gunite construction are the best and most expensive. Concrete block construction is the least expensive, but prone to cracking and leaking, especially with any earth tremors.

It would be great to save money and put in a concrete block pool. If anyone has any advice or experiences to share, I would be very grateful. - Danny

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Danny! Talk to Eriberto Polanco of EYO Construction.SA. 1-696-8849 (Cel).
He put in a superb pool for me, poured concrete, lots of steel. Excellent work. Price included walkways, pumphouse , pump, filter,etc. Canadian Bob.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Bob, can you send me the info as well? Thanks.
(Or post the info on the board)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Something to think about!

A few years ago I designed my pool and instead of the "normal" logic of making one end "too" deep for anything but swimming across it and/or diving, I made the pool "ALL" one depth, approximately 4-4 1/2 feet deep.

My Dominican wife was all upset with my design, that is until the pool was finished. Then she loved it. It is great for playing around in and for games. The normal pool with the "deep" end usually ends up hardly ever using about half of it because it is "over" evryones head.

We have had some fabulous times in my pool, using "all" of it, instead of just a portion of it. Four to four and a half feet is just about perfect for everyone. Great for volley ball, etc.

Just something to think about...... especially if you have alot of young kids using it!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
SantiagoDR said:
A few years ago I designed my pool and instead of the "normal" logic of making one end "too" deep for anything but swimming across it and/or diving, I made the pool "ALL" one depth, approximately 4-4 1/2 feet deep.

My Dominican wife was all upset with my design, that is until the pool was finished. Then she loved it. It is great for playing around in and for games. The normal pool with the "deep" end usually ends up hardly ever using about half of it because it is "over" evryones head.

We have had some fabulous times in my pool, using "all" of it, instead of just a portion of it. Four to four and a half feet is just about perfect for everyone. Great for volley ball, etc.

Just something to think about...... especially if you have alot of young kids using it!

My brother built an indoor pool the same depth as yours all around. He swears by it and everyone loves it. They play games using the entire pool just like you do. I'm just afraid someone will bang their head diving in.

What type of construction is it? - D

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Danny W said:
My brother built an indoor pool the same depth as yours all around. He swears by it and everyone loves it. They play games using the entire pool just like you do. I'm just afraid someone will bang their head diving in.

What type of construction is it? - D

First: "Don't" dive into it! - It's not a diving pool, besides how many dives would people take, not worth the extra expense of making it deep at one ene for very little use. Diving pools normally stay empty at one end, what a waste of pool footage.

Second: It was a combination of blocks and concrete with re-bar. The sides were blocks, but they also used re-bar and concrete for the bottom. The sides were then very thick white concrete, like a very thick stucco.

My engineer(?) thought you had to paint the pool blue to make the water look blue! Even after seeing it with water in it, he claimed the water looked blue becasue of the blue tile around the top of it. He was not a pool builder.

Gitana

Jul 10, 2006
Deep "end"

SantiagoDR said:
A few years ago I designed my pool and instead of the "normal" logic of making one end "too" deep for anything but swimming across it and/or diving, I made the pool "ALL" one depth, approximately 4-4 1/2 feet deep.!

I've seen some where the deep "end" is in the middle of the pool. Works awesome for games like volleyball and still lets you dive in.

Just a thought.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Mine's a combo of poured and block, with about a foot of wall coming up from the deck so the water is a little above ground level.

I put in a deep end and love it. Instead of just bouncing around in the shallow end, I like that my feet don't touch when I'm in the deep end. To each his own.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Pool construction.

james said:
Bob, can you send me the info as well? Thanks.
(Or post the info on the board)
James & David!! Pool is 25x15x5ft, poured concrete, kidney shape, lots of rebar, 2 lines of tile around top, wall 1 1/2ft x1 1/2 ft high completely around pool except at entry steps, acts as seating & contains pipes, & soaks up heat during day, keeps water at 85*f (+-) pumphouse underground (silent). Pool is partly above ground (terrain). I built pool 4 yrs ago, so my cost isn't pertinent now. Get several all-inclusive quotes. Cuidite! Canadian Bob.

Spyderdiaz

Jul 15, 2005
Swimming Pool Construction/EYO Construction

Espy, I just sent you a private message. Canadian Bob.

Hello Canadian Bob! I too would like to know what you were charged for this pool construction as well as the size. I'm currently building a house and would also like to build an inground swimming pool.

Thanks,

Spyderdiaz

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
Danny! Talk to Eriberto Polanco of EYO Construction.SA. 1-696-8849 (Cel).
He put in a superb pool for me, poured concrete, lots of steel. Excellent work. Price included walkways, pumphouse , pump, filter,etc. Canadian Bob.

hey brother, before i ask eriberto...and i know him . i want to get an idea of what a pool may cost
4m*5m (1.5m deep flat floor). i ve heard he's excellent but will quote a little high. this will be a basic pool not including pump. Just a rough guess will be fine so i can aim for around that amount
cheers

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Swimming pool construction referral in the general Cabrerra - Rio San Juan area?

I will be building a house in the Sosua area and would like some input on what type of swimming pool to install. It appears that fiberglass pools are not manufacured in the DR. Apparently poured concrete or gunite construction are the best and most expensive. Concrete block construction is the least expensive, but prone to cracking and leaking, especially with any earth tremors.

It would be great to save money and put in a concrete block pool. If anyone has any advice or experiences to share, I would be very grateful. - Danny

Has any one had first-hand experiences with an excellent constructor of gunite or poured concrete pools along or near this area of the north coast?

(CABRERA - RIO SAN JUAN or somewhat nearby)

What type of equipment would you recommend? Specifics?

Thank you!

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Has any one had first-hand experiences with an excellent constructor of gunite or poured concrete pools along or near this area of the north coast?

(CABRERA - RIO SAN JUAN or somewhat nearby)

What type of equipment would you recommend? Specifics?

Thank you!

I did my house pool which has dimmensions of 44' x 30 and a depth of 5'6" to 2'0" at the entry steps, using wide strip reinforced concrete foundations, block perimeter walls, concrete filled with re bar through the block, tied to wall rebar to support the poured concrete base. For the base I used concrete with fibremesh reinforcing at a rate of 3lb/CY to prevent cracking and localised settlement. The rebar followed the contour of the slab and had 2" top cover to ensure if the walls settled, the tension stress on the pool base would be taken up by the rebar.

I had a general cover of 2" cement render with waterproofing agent, but rounded all corners and junctions to avoid cracking and finished pool with 2' deep tiling from deck to under water line. I finished the look by installing the filter return water via a cascade for noise and rippling effect. (Waterfall).

On the equipment, I used a Tagalus sand filter, Hayward skimmers (automatic type), Hayward 2HP pump running 220v (although it can be run on 110v if necessary), Hayward lighting and entry steps. Lastly finishing off with Epoxy Pool Paint, and the pool deck with a lavastone finish concrete (unstained). ( to achieve this, get some large salt rocks from the local agricentre, break into small lumps and random scatter onto the poured concrete deck, next day simply wash the salt away with a hose and you have the natural finish - the same finish used at Atlantis Nassau).

Total turn out cost was around 1.4m +/-

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
POOLS

Remember, the water volume will affect the size of the pump, I tried to keep my volume to a minimum.

I, too, have a shallow deep end - 5 1/2ft. The shallow end is 3ft
Pool is about 15 x 30 (not counting the Infinity collection area outside the swimming area.

To keep the volume down, I have narrowed the pool on the sides, under water.
There is an 18" ledge along both 30' sides reducing the H2O volume.

That ledge is 18" down form water level and 18" wide.

Comes in Handy for wallowing with a drink - just soaking up sun or if a dog fallls in.

Similarly, children can get to the edge safely or just stay on the 18" shallow ledge.

Advice for children:
Ours were raised initially in Canada where the local Y has a program for newborns.
Parent and child go into the program whils the "life in fluid" is still fresh in the baby's mind.

You just blow in their face and push them under -- instinct takes over from there.

They can swim sooner than you can believe and can get to that little ledge if they fall in.

Although, if they fell in, I think their grandmother would be in the water before the baby hit the water !!

Pool was about $20k four years ago, if I recall - maybe a bit less.

Don't ask me what construction..... not a clue.

Like the lady....
"Where did you go for vacation"

"Majorca"

"OOOOOHH, where's Majorca?"

"How should I know.............. we flew!"