Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    On Vaction without a return ticket!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Transformer and generator suggestions

Can anyone suggest where to purchase the following:

1) 50 watt transformer. We have a 15 watt now and need to upgrade. Suggestions and experience greatly appriciated.

2) Diesel Generators. Who has good deals and where did you go to buy your generator?

Any information would be greatly appriciated.

Best regards,
    Jack

gary short

Why would you need a transformer??? Do you mean 5kw gen.??

gary short

Come on back Jackieboo I know this stuff........sort of.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why would you want to live where there is no electricity

I have been in sosua 2 weeks and aside from rocky's ribs this place sucks! There are constant blackouts no electricity internet down. Forget the blinking lights And if anyone says If You don't have anything good to say don't say anything. Well it's better the truth be told sooner rather than LAGER! Mike

On Vaction without a return ticket!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default more information

We're going to install air conditioning in the house and were advised that we need to upgrade the transformer (from what I understand the transformer is my property). Currently it's 15? we need a 50?. I'm new to the buying of transformers and generators so any information would be greatly appriciated.

After we change the transformer we need to buy a generator...

jack

Quote Originally Posted by gary short
    Come on back Jackieboo I know this stuff........sort of.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackieboo
    We're going to install air conditioning in the house and were advised that we need to upgrade the transformer (from what I understand the transformer is my property). Currently it's 15? we need a 50?. I'm new to the buying of transformers and generators so any information would be greatly appriciated.

After we change the transformer we need to buy a generator...

jack
    Yes yes, I understand now.
    Actually, I have inquired about this for a friend.
    The guys at the electric company, Edenorte were telling me where to buy one in Santiago for a good price.
    If you cannot find out yourself through them, send me an email and I'll do the homework for you.
    BTW. You have to install it well onto your private property, otherwise, it WILL become public property.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait a second. A 15k is pretty darn big for just one house, even with AC.
    Is anybody else hooked up to it?
    Are you running a lot of other stuff?
    Bear in mind, that if this house is not already made to be economical on electricity, it will soon be, once you get the power bill, then you will be looking for ways to save.
    A 15k transformer could supply approx 65 amps per 110 volt line.
    That's more power than we would ever consume here at Rocky's, with 1 AC and 7 fridges.
    Unless it's damaged, I can't see needing a bigger one.

gary short

Hey Rocky do you mean to tell me that if you want more power you have to buy your own transformer......where does it go....on the pole......who hooks up the high side and for that matter the low side......the consumer????

gary short

Jackieboo 5kw will do you fine. Thats ample for a families needs.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'transformer' story sounds funny ... especially as I know what you want to air condition. Have this checked out by a reliable electrical engineer. Perhaps the North Coasters can supply you with the name of a good ... well, even an electrician will be able to figure it out. But then it must be an electrician that is able to 'figure'. The transformer is a thing that sits outside on the pole, to my knowledge .. and you don't pay for it. If the electrical company put in too small a transformer for your area there, they have to change it out. It is their responsibility. (This sounds awfully like an undocumented 'Gringo' Tax to me!)

For a generator, the size of it must be worked out first. You'll perhaps need something between 10kW and 20kW. (Not sure what the airconditioner will eat up.) There are good places in Santiago to buy a diesel generator, both new and used and Hillbilly can help with names of companies. Again, that good electrician or electrical engineer needs to lend you a helping hand here to work out size, especially with the airconditioner.

You'll perhaps save a lot of money over the long run if you also install a inverter and battery bank at this stage, while you're spending. Most of us have a combination of an inverter and battery bank plus generator.

gary short, with respect, 5kW of Watt? and most of us will not make a recommendation unless we know what the poster wants to power. If you knew about this stuff, you would do an analysis first.
    Last edited by Chris; 07-12-2006 at 06:40 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast