Transformer and generator suggestions

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Can anyone suggest where to purchase the following:

1) 50 watt transformer. We have a 15 watt now and need to upgrade. Suggestions and experience greatly appriciated.

2) Diesel Generators. Who has good deals and where did you go to buy your generator?

Any information would be greatly appriciated.

Best regards,
Jack

G

gary short

Why would you need a transformer??? Do you mean 5kw gen.??

G

gary short

Come on back Jackieboo I know this stuff........sort of.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Why would you want to live where there is no electricity

I have been in sosua 2 weeks and aside from rocky's ribs this place sucks! There are constant blackouts no electricity internet down. Forget the blinking lights And if anyone says If You don't have anything good to say don't say anything. Well it's better the truth be told sooner rather than LAGER! Mike

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
more information

We're going to install air conditioning in the house and were advised that we need to upgrade the transformer (from what I understand the transformer is my property). Currently it's 15? we need a 50?. I'm new to the buying of transformers and generators so any information would be greatly appriciated.

After we change the transformer we need to buy a generator...

jack

gary short said:
Come on back Jackieboo I know this stuff........sort of.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jackieboo said:
We're going to install air conditioning in the house and were advised that we need to upgrade the transformer (from what I understand the transformer is my property). Currently it's 15? we need a 50?. I'm new to the buying of transformers and generators so any information would be greatly appriciated.

After we change the transformer we need to buy a generator...

jack
Yes yes, I understand now.
Actually, I have inquired about this for a friend.
The guys at the electric company, Edenorte were telling me where to buy one in Santiago for a good price.
If you cannot find out yourself through them, send me an email and I'll do the homework for you.
BTW. You have to install it well onto your private property, otherwise, it WILL become public property.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wait a second. A 15k is pretty darn big for just one house, even with AC.
Is anybody else hooked up to it?
Are you running a lot of other stuff?
Bear in mind, that if this house is not already made to be economical on electricity, it will soon be, once you get the power bill, then you will be looking for ways to save.
A 15k transformer could supply approx 65 amps per 110 volt line.
That's more power than we would ever consume here at Rocky's, with 1 AC and 7 fridges.
Unless it's damaged, I can't see needing a bigger one.

G

gary short

Hey Rocky do you mean to tell me that if you want more power you have to buy your own transformer......where does it go....on the pole......who hooks up the high side and for that matter the low side......the consumer????

G

gary short

Jackieboo 5kw will do you fine. Thats ample for a families needs.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The 'transformer' story sounds funny ... especially as I know what you want to air condition. Have this checked out by a reliable electrical engineer. Perhaps the North Coasters can supply you with the name of a good ... well, even an electrician will be able to figure it out. But then it must be an electrician that is able to 'figure'. The transformer is a thing that sits outside on the pole, to my knowledge .. and you don't pay for it. If the electrical company put in too small a transformer for your area there, they have to change it out. It is their responsibility. (This sounds awfully like an undocumented 'Gringo' Tax to me!)

For a generator, the size of it must be worked out first. You'll perhaps need something between 10kW and 20kW. (Not sure what the airconditioner will eat up.) There are good places in Santiago to buy a diesel generator, both new and used and Hillbilly can help with names of companies. Again, that good electrician or electrical engineer needs to lend you a helping hand here to work out size, especially with the airconditioner.

You'll perhaps save a lot of money over the long run if you also install a inverter and battery bank at this stage, while you're spending. Most of us have a combination of an inverter and battery bank plus generator.

gary short, with respect, 5kW of Watt? and most of us will not make a recommendation unless we know what the poster wants to power. If you knew about this stuff, you would do an analysis first.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gary short said:
Hey Rocky do you mean to tell me that if you want more power you have to buy your own transformer......where does it go....on the pole......who hooks up the high side and for that matter the low side......the consumer????
No.
I assumed that the OP already has his/her own transformer and was told to upgrade.
If it is a public transformer on public grounds, then that's a whole other cup of tea.
If someone is installing their own transformer on their own property, they pay Edenorte to hook it up.
At least, that has been my experience.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This can become a can of worms if you are not careful. There are several options but you do need somebody with electrical experience to look at your particular situation.
If you PM me, I'd be happy to supply you with some suggestions, as to personnel, suppliers and such.

I certainly agree with Chris about a combo set up. We enjoy un-interrupted service on the computers and only a few second delay on the rest of the house and office. You are welcome to come see whe we have done.

HB :D:D

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Will a small portable voltage regulator be able to take 80 volts from the street power and turn it into 120 volts for one outlet? My outlets only put out about 80 volts when Im on street power, but 120 when my inverter kicks in. Is there another solution besides having to install a new transformer?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DavidZ said:
Will a small portable voltage regulator be able to take 80 volts from the street power and turn it into 120 volts for one outlet? My outlets only put out about 80 volts when Im on street power, but 120 when my inverter kicks in. Is there another solution besides having to install a new transformer?
There are other solutions.
First, the wiring.
Most low voltage conditons are caused by wires that are under the required gauge.
Then there is the other 110 line.
If you have both lines coming in, and one goes really low, usually the other one goes high, so you install a "macheti" breaker and switch to the line with the highest voltage.
The odds of a street transformer not putting out 110/110 are very low.
It is much more likely to be bad wiring or someone overloading one of the lines, thus raising the voltage on the other.
When wires are too small, they heat up like elements, eating up some of the voltage.
It's also a fire risk.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I think you're right about the smaller-than-necessary gauge for the wiring. The puzzling thing to me was that it comes through at 110+ when on the inverter's batteries, so I guess it's the main line from the street to the house...

Anyone know a decent electrician in the Sosua/Cabarete area that is honest and speaks some english (at this point the english isn't necessary anymore, but helpful!)? Id like him to check out my wiring and make recommendations on updating/upgrading it, but since I may be selling the place I dont want to put a ton of money into it. the last guy I had here basically wanted to re-do everything from scratch...which Im sure would be the best solution, but not practical for me.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Take note Jackieboo .. what could be diagnosed at first glance as a transformer problem, could be too small gauge wiring. That is why the Hillbilly and I say let someone knowledgable figure it out for you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DavidZ said:
I think you're right about the smaller-than-necessary gauge for the wiring. The puzzling thing to me was that it comes through at 110+ when on the inverter's batteries, so I guess it's the main line from the street to the house...
It's the wires leading to your inverter, so it's no surprise that you would get the proper voltage coming out of your inverter.
I'm sure you have noticed the lights get brighter and fans turn faster when the electricity goes out and the inverter kicks in.
BTW: When you measure the voltage coming out of the inverter, the figures are not accurate without an actual RMS tester, as the square wave fools the tester.
You are probably getting a real 120 volts, assuming it's a decent brand inverter.

DavidZ said:
Anyone know a decent electrician in the Sosua/Cabarete area that is honest and speaks some english (at this point the english isn't necessary anymore, but helpful!)? Id like him to check out my wiring and make recommendations on updating/upgrading it, but since I may be selling the place I dont want to put a ton of money into it. the last guy I had here basically wanted to re-do everything from scratch...which Im sure would be the best solution, but not practical for me.
Come and get me early in the morning and we can figure it out, no problem.

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
Transformer options

If you purchase a transformer and install it on the electrical post outside, Edenorte will be the new owner of the transformer. Then they and others can hook up to the transformer as they wish. The only way around that is to purchase the "pad" type of transformer that you can install on your property, hopefully inside of your fence, thereby denying anyone "connection rights".

Greg

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i think diesel is the BEST way to go. we have a 12k diesel and it's great. gasoline is too expensive.