Is there any way to aviod...

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i know this might be gross, but is there anything one could do, or take, that would prevent one from getting diarrhea when visiting the DR? Is it just me, or does everyone else get the same thing when they go there? What about the people who have moved and live there, does it eventually go away? Is the only way to not get it to not eat the typical Dominican cuisine? that would mean going to jumbo many times a week and a hefty bill every time.
I only drink bottled water, but i sometimes think it may be the bottled water...They do cook with soooooo much oil i can't stand it. Even the way they prepare spaghetti, the stuff is shiney as can be when its done, soaked in oil. Any suggestions?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I wouldn't think the oil would get to you (unless it has the same effect at home).

It could be the ice, or some of the fruits or vegetables. Normally, I don't eat any raw fruits or vegetables that don't have any skin (lettuce, tomato's, apples, etc). I even avoid cole slaw.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
audboogie, where do you eat most frequently. I must say that even when we came here to visit, besides being careful with water and ice, we never suffered too much whatsoever. Where do you eat most frequently?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Chris said:
audboogie, where do you eat most frequently. I must say that even when we came here to visit, besides being careful with water and ice, we never suffered too much whatsoever. Where do you eat most frequently?

most frequently i would have to say i eat at the house so his mom is cooking, and i must say that the last time i went and it got bad it was after i ate breakfast at this little joint in la romana on the main drag where u walk in and order johnny cakas (sp) with salami and this tasty sauce and this really really good juice that is pinkinsh in color but i don't know what fruit it was. Everyone eats standing up at the counter where u order. So the majority of the time i eat at home but not all, throughout the day we may stop somewhere or i may be asked to try something which i usually do but for some reason i get it every time i go down there. My daughter had liquidy movements as well the whole time we were down there, and threw up several times at night which was pretty scary. I know one time she threw up those gigantic grapes they have down there, she had eaten to many at the beach that day (she was 16 mo last time we were down there).

And no, oil doesn't bother me here, however rarely do i eat greasy food.

so none of you guys get the runs while down there? Do you EVER eat food off the street or no? Its rare that i eat the food off street, but i can't say i never ever do. and whenever i get it i think of the food i ate previously and its usually the food everyone else has eaten but for some reason most of the time they never are sick

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
audboogie said:
...and this really really good juice that is pinkinsh in color but i don't know what fruit it was....

I know one time she threw up those gigantic grapes they have down there...
As I said, I avoid fruits and vegetables where you can not peel off the skin.

I would also avoid the juices, unless you know they are pasteurized, or they are fresh squeezed and you know what kind of fruit they came from.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
rellosk said:
As I said, I avoid fruits and vegetables where you can not peel off the skin.

I would also avoid the juices, unless you know they are pasteurized, or they are fresh squeezed and you know what kind of fruit they came from.

it was chinola juice

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
audboogie said:
it was chinola juice
I believe (not 100% sure) that chinola juice is made from Passion Fruit. (That would be on my list of okay fruits to eat in the DR). However, they may add some water or ice when they make it.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I live here, and I will never eat in the street.

A good local remedy is to squeeze 2 limes every evening, add a spoonful of salt to the juice, and drink it just before bedtime. You will wake up without the runs, and can go off for another day.

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
I was there 7 months of the last year and I never got it, the only thing I do is drinking bottled water, i just eat/drink all the rest (although if i buy something in the street/cafe/busstation and it looks kinda nasty i will leave it...
But I was more carefull in the beginning then I am now.

But i have to admit, i have a pretty strong stomach, i have been 3 months to Guatemala, and 3 months to Ghana and had no problems there either.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I think I have a pretty strong stomach too, never have had any problems during travels to many different countries, except for two occasions:
one time after eating in a classy restaurant in Turin, Italy, the other after eating at Porterhouse restaurant in Santo Domingo (the first was pretty bad, the second mild). I do eat street food, chimi's, street fruit, etc, in the DR without hesitation, never a problem. Goes to show you can get something bad anywhere... (or maybe my stomach has a particular problem with very good food LOL)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
audboogie said:
most frequently i would have to say i eat at the house so his mom is cooking, and i must say that the last time i went and it got bad it was after i ate breakfast at this little joint in la romana ...... My daughter had liquidy movements as well the whole time we were down there, and threw up several times at night which was pretty scary. I know one time she threw up those gigantic grapes they have down there, she had eaten to many at the beach that day (she was 16 mo last time we were down there).

I only eat food off the street if I know where it comes from and can see the level of hygiene.

When out and about, I try to have a agua de coco or something that does not need any water, or anyone to touch it with their hands. It is easy to buy a few bananas, wash them with bottled water so that your hands remain clean, and then peel and eat. Wash all your fruit and vegetables real well. The sugar in the juices could also be part of your problem.

It is a worry if a little one of that age vomits every night. That is not right for sure.

Why don't you eat only at home next time you are here and when you go out, take or make a sandwich or a snack and drink only bottled water. See how that works out and then you'll know if you have the constitution to eat off the street or not. Many Dominicans use quite a lot of oil when they cook. Make some meals yourself and use less oil. For your daughter's sake as well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Part of the problem could be the oil that is being used. If there is coconut oil in the cooking oil that could really be a cause.
As for vomiting with a 16 mo baby, that is just hygiene. Around babies, everything has to be very clean, especially is such a different environment.

Everyone gets a case of "turista" from time to time, but this is a case of "hand to mouth" poor hygiene. Usually it is the food preparers who are at fault. sorry but maybe Mama has not taken proper precautions, since, by now, she is immune to these problems....

HB:ermm:

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I visited North Coast (Sosua, Cabarete etc) in Sept 05 with my daughters now age 4yrs and 18mths and we never had any problems. Apart from sticking to bottled water and watching general hygiene I can't say I'm particularly careful about ruling out certain fruits, juices or not eating off street stalls. I took the view that we'll be moving out there and can't really live our daily lives in such a restricted manner. My youngest was still crawling for most of the time and it was very difficult to monitor what was going into her mouth!

However, it would be foolish of me to be complacent and having travelled quite extensively I'd follow Chris's advice about street food and only eat from places where you can see food being prepared and cooked. I ate at street stalls in Thailand continuously whilst backpacking and the food was always freshly cooked to order and I never had any probs. I only got severe food poisoning when I splurged on an expensive restaurant in Bangkok and ate the overpriced seafood which had probably been waiting around all day for some mug (me I'm afraid!) to pay an overinflated price for it. Admittedly, my kids aren't fussy eaters and we all have pretty strong constitutions. Always best to play safe with little ones if there's any sign of illness. With regard to your daughter it's may be an idea to rule out everything of dubious origin and gradually add things back into her diet so that you can monitor what's causing such a strong reaction (as they do with allergies).

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Different spices and seasonings are used in dishes and if your not used to them you could react. Also lettuce and raw veggies as well as some fruits. Avoid foods from street vendors also. If you do experience diahrea, drink lots of fluids and take anti-diahrea tablets. After a day or two your system becomes almost immune.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
audboogie said:
i know this might be gross, but is there anything one could do, or take, that would prevent one from getting diarrhea when visiting the DR? Is it just me, or does everyone else get the same thing when they go there? What about the people who have moved and live there, does it eventually go away? Is the only way to not get it to not eat the typical Dominican cuisine? that would mean going to jumbo many times a week and a hefty bill every time.
I only drink bottled water, but i sometimes think it may be the bottled water...They do cook with soooooo much oil i can't stand it. Even the way they prepare spaghetti, the stuff is shiney as can be when its done, soaked in oil. Any suggestions?

Never ever I had that problem. Only once, I ate about 7 mangoes!!! they had been inthe sun and were a bit warm, they always told me "no comas fruta caliente" but I did, they were soooo delicious, and I was sick like for two days, it was awful.
I suppose if you eat out a lot that could happen and yes many people use too much oil when cooking, this could be one reason.

Someone suggested here once to start eating a lot of plain yogurt a few days before the trip, the yogurt coats your intestine and replaces the bad bacteria in you GI track. And the lime juice will stop the diarrhea, make sure you also bring diarrhea medication. My children have never had a problem in any part of the island. But don't drink the water out of the faucet.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i've never had diahrea while visiting DR, but i'm sure if you avoid the water and Ice it would help.

melibrown

Jul 15, 2006
well i can tell you about a pill call "prodon" it's really good when you get the runs in santo domingo and is cheap.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Read Post #8

This is the natural remedy..I have used it before.I found out about it in South America..And it does work..Especially if you drank too many Presidentes.ect...You will wake up fine...Also don't eat anything not rinsed off in bottled water...Most places will rinse of slaad in the back where you can't see them using tap water..Stay away from the cole slaw toppings they put on hamburgers from street carts..The burgers are great with just the onions..Pass on the cole slaw topping..It is/was washed in tap water at some barrio home..Trust Me On this one....

This remedy works for the runs from food or booze....Try It.!!!!!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is also important to avoid dehydration. Heat and sun exposure as well as too much alcohol of any type will cause dehydration which will give you the "runs".