Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there any way to aviod...

i know this might be gross, but is there anything one could do, or take, that would prevent one from getting diarrhea when visiting the DR? Is it just me, or does everyone else get the same thing when they go there? What about the people who have moved and live there, does it eventually go away? Is the only way to not get it to not eat the typical Dominican cuisine? that would mean going to jumbo many times a week and a hefty bill every time.
    I only drink bottled water, but i sometimes think it may be the bottled water...They do cook with soooooo much oil i can't stand it. Even the way they prepare spaghetti, the stuff is shiney as can be when its done, soaked in oil. Any suggestions?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't think the oil would get to you (unless it has the same effect at home).

It could be the ice, or some of the fruits or vegetables. Normally, I don't eat any raw fruits or vegetables that don't have any skin (lettuce, tomato's, apples, etc). I even avoid cole slaw.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

audboogie, where do you eat most frequently. I must say that even when we came here to visit, besides being careful with water and ice, we never suffered too much whatsoever. Where do you eat most frequently?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    audboogie, where do you eat most frequently. I must say that even when we came here to visit, besides being careful with water and ice, we never suffered too much whatsoever. Where do you eat most frequently?
    most frequently i would have to say i eat at the house so his mom is cooking, and i must say that the last time i went and it got bad it was after i ate breakfast at this little joint in la romana on the main drag where u walk in and order johnny cakas (sp) with salami and this tasty sauce and this really really good juice that is pinkinsh in color but i don't know what fruit it was. Everyone eats standing up at the counter where u order. So the majority of the time i eat at home but not all, throughout the day we may stop somewhere or i may be asked to try something which i usually do but for some reason i get it every time i go down there. My daughter had liquidy movements as well the whole time we were down there, and threw up several times at night which was pretty scary. I know one time she threw up those gigantic grapes they have down there, she had eaten to many at the beach that day (she was 16 mo last time we were down there).

And no, oil doesn't bother me here, however rarely do i eat greasy food.

so none of you guys get the runs while down there? Do you EVER eat food off the street or no? Its rare that i eat the food off street, but i can't say i never ever do. and whenever i get it i think of the food i ate previously and its usually the food everyone else has eaten but for some reason most of the time they never are sick

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audboogie
    ...and this really really good juice that is pinkinsh in color but i don't know what fruit it was....

I know one time she threw up those gigantic grapes they have down there...
    As I said, I avoid fruits and vegetables where you can not peel off the skin.

I would also avoid the juices, unless you know they are pasteurized, or they are fresh squeezed and you know what kind of fruit they came from.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    As I said, I avoid fruits and vegetables where you can not peel off the skin.

I would also avoid the juices, unless you know they are pasteurized, or they are fresh squeezed and you know what kind of fruit they came from.
    it was chinola juice

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audboogie
    it was chinola juice
    I believe (not 100% sure) that chinola juice is made from Passion Fruit. (That would be on my list of okay fruits to eat in the DR). However, they may add some water or ice when they make it.

Retired Ussername
    Post Thanks / Like

I live here, and I will never eat in the street.

A good local remedy is to squeeze 2 limes every evening, add a spoonful of salt to the juice, and drink it just before bedtime. You will wake up without the runs, and can go off for another day.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there 7 months of the last year and I never got it, the only thing I do is drinking bottled water, i just eat/drink all the rest (although if i buy something in the street/cafe/busstation and it looks kinda nasty i will leave it...
    But I was more carefull in the beginning then I am now.

But i have to admit, i have a pretty strong stomach, i have been 3 months to Guatemala, and 3 months to Ghana and had no problems there either.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I have a pretty strong stomach too, never have had any problems during travels to many different countries, except for two occasions:
    one time after eating in a classy restaurant in Turin, Italy, the other after eating at Porterhouse restaurant in Santo Domingo (the first was pretty bad, the second mild). I do eat street food, chimi's, street fruit, etc, in the DR without hesitation, never a problem. Goes to show you can get something bad anywhere... (or maybe my stomach has a particular problem with very good food LOL)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast