Doors and windows?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
As many of you know by now I've purchased a house in the DR (Sosua). We're moving in the middle of August and you guys have been an invaluable resource.

I'm on track with the generator question posted earlier and now have a question about replacement windows and doors.

Our new house currently has tired wooden shutters and doors that need replacement.

Have any of you had experience with replacement windows and doors in the
Sosua area?

As always thank you in advance for any help.

Jack

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want wood doors and shutters, there are carpenters who do that.

If you want glass window, either a sheet of glass or louvers, and doors of glass and aluminum, there are businesses that do that.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I have looked for the last year

for Anderson/Pella type windows with double glaze e-glass.

No luck. I did see this type in Ochoa 2 years ago, but they are not there anymore.

Any information would be appreciated.

Jan 5, 2006
No E-glass stuff, but there are excellent fabricators of aluminum/glass windows, in sliding, casement, etc. styles in Santiago, and I'm sure throughout the country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pella is sold here, what's the problem??

Yah gotta know the right people...that's all..

HB

Jan 5, 2006
Hillbilly said:
Pella is sold here, what's the problem??
Yeah, but have you seen the prices? I stopped at at place on Estrella Sadhala, heading out of town, and almost had a heart attack. A local fabricator was just fine for me! :D

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're going to replace all the doors and windows and you want American/European quality products like Anderson/Pella, etc. It may be worth placing the order in US or Puerto Rico and having them shipped in.

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
Non-standard sizes

Jackie,

If your house is like most others built here, you will find that the door and window openings are more than likely non-standard sizes. That would mean that in order to use pre-made windows such as Pella, etc., you would have to adjust the openings. This could be a big job, maybe bigger than you would like. For this reason, it may be better to either use locally produced wood windows (nice but high maintenance) or aluminum windows that are made to fit the sizes of the door/window openings that your house has.

Just a thought...

Greg

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks Hillbilly

Never did that 'locator' on Pella website.

Dominican Republic
Induca, Ltd.
Ave. San Martin Esq.
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Apto. 42
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Phone: 809-541-2117
Fax : 809-567-3447
info@induca.com.do

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In Santiago: Plaza Jorge II, across the street from Pola/La sirena on Bartolomé Colon
Talk to Yineska Fernández
809 241 2117 x 223
Tell her her "Profe" sent you!!

HB :D:D

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks Hillbilly

Much thanks Hillbilly, I'll give them a call and let you know.

For the other posters; the ideal windows would NOT include glass. We are looking soley for the replacement of the shutters that are currently in the house. The ideal shutters would have a removable screen on the inside to allow for ventilation as well as ease of cleaning.

I don't have any desire to import 'American' windows to the DR. I'd rather hire a local company or craftsman to install the windows.

So, if any of you have had good experience with the replacement of your windows by a local craftsman or company their name and contact information would be greatly appriciated.

Jack

Hillbilly said:
In Santiago: Plaza Jorge II, across the street from Pola/La sirena on Bartolom? Colon
Talk to Yineska Fern?ndez
809 241 2117 x 223
Tell her her "Profe" sent you!!

HB :D:D

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Here in Santo Domingo

jackieboo said:
Much thanks Hillbilly, I'll give them a call and let you know.

For the other posters; the ideal windows would NOT include glass. We are looking soley for the replacement of the shutters that are currently in the house. The ideal shutters would have a removable screen on the inside to allow for ventilation as well as ease of cleaning.

I don't have any desire to import 'American' windows to the DR. I'd rather hire a local company or craftsman to install the windows.

So, if any of you have had good experience with the replacement of your windows by a local craftsman or company their name and contact information would be greatly appriciated.

Jack

Shutters Quisqueyansos
C/Orlando Martinez.#66 Bayona Santo Domingo
shuttersquisqueyanos@yahoo.es
tels 809-732-6739
809-531-0627
cel 809-696-4525