Best Choice?

marktheboilerman

Jul 9, 2006
My girlfriend and I are planning our first trip to Punta Cana in December. There are 3 resorts in the price range we are looking at: Occidental Grand Punta Cana, Ocean Blue and Riu Naibao. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Depends what you are looking for in a resort...pretty good choices. Ocean Blue is the newest of the bunch and I have only viewed it from the beach, looks great and have heard good reviews.
I personally love the RIU resorts as a complex as you will have access to 3 other RIUs if you choose the Naiboa, so it adds a dimension of variety. Be aware that it is not beachfront if this is important to you.( a 3 minute walk). Occidental Grand is a good resort in a great central location if you wish to walk to the nearby shops and has a very happening nightclub (so do the RIUs but not as big as Mangu) if this is a requirement for you guys.
Good luck with your decision-making and happy planning.Enjoy!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Marktheboilerman,

Welcome to DR1. This is the place to get the answers to those question that you have concerning the DR. Drloca has given you some insight and others will shortly also.

We know that you will have a wonderful time on your vacation and we would enjoy it very much if you could give us a report of your experiences in our "Trip Report" forum when you get back home. Your report lets us know how we have done in preparing you for your trip and informs other new members as to what to maybe do or don't do, where to go, what to see etc.

Rick

marktheboilerman

Jul 9, 2006
After the advice and studying the various hotel sites, we are leaning toward Occidental Grand Punta Cana. We will probably book it tomorrow on a discount site that we've used before, we even found a flight from our local airport that's only $80 more pp than flying out of Cleveland.

Any other suggestions on activities/excursions would also be appreciated.

One more quick question, the Occidental site says the nightclub drinks and Sprortsbar after 11pm aren't included. But are they reasonably priced?
Thanks
Mark

marktheboilerman

Jul 9, 2006
Just booked 8 nights at Occidental Grand with RT airfare from Canton, OH for $1,070 per person on Hotwire! I think I got a pretty good deal, whaddya think? We're pretty excited!! Five months away though.

marktheboilerman

Jul 9, 2006
Well, my girlfriend and I just split this past week after 7 years. On the bright side the vacation package was pre-paid(no changes allowed) and booked under my name, but paid with her credit card! I guess I'm gonna have fun!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I can't wait to see the look on your face when she shows up to the resort with her new boyfriend!