Portable Air Conditioners

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I was in the process of buying and bringing a couple of portable air conditioning units to POP on my next trip, until I found out that I'm limited in checked baggage weight to 50lbs.

Can someone tell me where I can possibly purchase self evaporative (if possible)portable air units in the range of 10-12,000 BTU's, to work off of the standard 110 volt outlets? My assumption is that a quick answer is in Santiago. Can someone specify exactly where, and how I would go about getting there? Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
jackquontee said:
I was in the process of buying and bringing a couple of portable air conditioning units to POP on my next trip, until I found out that I'm limited in checked baggage weight to 50lbs.

Can someone tell me where I can possibly purchase self evaporative (if possible)portable air units in the range of 10-12,000 BTU's, to work off of the standard 110 volt outlets? My assumption is that a quick answer is in Santiago. Can someone specify exactly where, and how I would go about getting there? Any help, as always, is appreciated.
I'm not sure about "self evaporative" or 10/12 units, but I've seen the other I think 10 model at Price Smart in STGO. Cost is reasonable but I've been told but a pain in the butt as they must be emptied regularily. I opted for a 12 split. About 20,000.00 RD installed.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've seen them at Pricemart, Santiago just a short time ago.

There are different ways to get there, but the way I take cause I continually get lost, is to go straight at the first roundabout into Santiago toward Hache. Just after Hache go on the elevado past Supermercado Nacional. Carry on straight and don't bear right to take the turnoff to Santo Domingo ... Go under the bridge and in about 2 or 3 kilometers, Pricemart is on the left.

Someone may give better/different directions than these, but they get me there every time...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
Your instructions would even get me lost. LOL. "Just pulling your leg." It is PRICE SMART though.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Eddy, Chris, thanks to the both of you for your help.

Chris, don't worry about the directions, they're more than I had previously, and for that I'm grateful. I have a map of Santiago and with a bit of studying, and what you've offered, I think I'll probably be alright. Again, thanks.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Pricesmart

Chris said:

There are different ways to get there, but the way I take cause I continually get lost, is to go straight at the first roundabout into Santiago toward Hache. Just after Hache go on the elevado past Supermercado Nacional. Carry on straight and don't bear right to take the turnoff to Santo Domingo ... Go under the bridge and in about 2 or 3 kilometers, Pricemart is on the left.

Someone may give better/different directions than these, but they get me there every time...

The directions you're giving seem to imply that you're coming from Navarrete or say, Puerto Plata via highway 5. Para que la gente se ubique...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Paulino said:
The directions you're giving seem to imply that you're coming from Navarrete or say, Puerto Plata via highway 5. Para que la gente se ubique...
Well, Hache is the ubiquitous landmark for newby's in Santiago. And whether you come in on Route 5, or take one of the scenic routes, you still get in mostly in the vicinity of Hache. So, whatever you do ... get yer ass to Hache and from there it is a straight shot.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Eddy said:
Your instructions would even get me lost. LOL. "Just pulling your leg." It is PRICE SMART though.

Yeah! yeah! -- it is really easy though, you must admit. It is just if you're a newby, that it may be a little confusing. Santiago still gets me confused from time to time.