Presidente Lite V. Normal

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Hello everyone, I'm back from a beautiful vacation in SD!!!

I will like to share something I found very different about Presidente beers.

Please note that I came to L.A. in 1999, went back to the DR in 1997 and back on June the 29th! but I noticed that everybody is drinking Presidente lite, you can hardly find a regular Presidente beer anymore, I don't understand it.!!

Do they realize what that beer is doing to them financially and healthlly speaking??

I'm talking from my point of view, because when I do deside to drink, it's because I want a buzz, not to sit there and indulge on beers, spend more money buying more trying to find the buzz, and to top it up I'm going to end up with more calories and fat than drinking the regular beers, because it doesn't say that there are any calories reduction but alcohol reduction!!

Can someone explain what happened or how this lite beer got so popular??

Do you think it is just an in thing??

I don't get it!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
perlanegra said:

Please note that I came to L.A. in 1999, went back to the DR in 1997 and back on June the 29th! but I noticed that everybody is drinking Presidente lite, you can hardly find a regular Presidente beer anymore, I don't understand it.!!

Do they realize what that beer is doing to them financially and healthlly speaking??

I'm talking from my point of view, because when I do deside to drink, it's because I want a buzz, not to sit there and indulge on beers, spend more money buying more trying to find the buzz, and to top it up I'm going to end up with more calories and fat than drinking the regular beers, because it doesn't say that there are any calories reduction but alcohol reduction!!

I don't get it!!

????

As soon as I saw Presidente Lite I thought this is what I'm gonna drink when I go there, but if it is as u say, you are completly right, why drink it if it only has less alcohol and no difference in calories??? no lite beer for me!

It must be an 'in' thing. You gotta be with the In crowd :paranoid:

!HAVOC!

Jun 29, 2006
www.need2speed.com
in my experience, 90+ % of the country only has regular Presidente, Santo Domingo is the only place that I have seen sell presidente lite.

I drink bud light here in the states, don't like the taste of regular budweiser at all, So, most the time in DR, have to settle for Regular Presidente, but when lite is available, i enjoy it much more.
alc.gif

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I got back from 2 weeks in sosua yesterday and didnt see the lite stuff at all, drank plenty of the real stuff tho, dont think i'll find it here tho :(

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
M.A.R. said:
????

As soon as I saw Presidente Lite I thought this is what I'm gonna drink when I go there, but if it is as u say, you are completly right, why drink it if it only has less alcohol and no difference in calories??? no lite beer for me!

It must be an 'in' thing. You gotta be with the In crowd :paranoid:

Do you want to know what the worst part is???

That's what most of the people are drinking there!! So, if you were used to invite 2-3 friends for a drink and after 6-9 beers they were going down!! Get ready with your pockets!!! You will need at least 20 jumbos for them to start slowing down!! So, do you know what I did??

I always asked for regular ones and if they wanted (demanded) lite, I made sure they were paying for it!! I don't want to sound cheap, but I'm not picking up money from the trees here in the states as of many Dominicans think of us!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is this really true? the "lite" here refers to the alcohol, not the calories or fat (as in Bud Light, Coors Light, etc...? That never dawned on me!!

BTW, It is available at the Playero in Sosua and Janet's Supermercado in Cabarete... I would assume other places as well... Ive never asked for it at a bar (or bought it from the supermarket for that matter)...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
DavidZ said:
Is this really true? the "lite" here refers to the alcohol, not the calories or fat (as in Bud Light, Coors Light, etc...? That never dawned on me!!

BTW, It is available at the Playero in Sosua and Janet's Supermercado in Cabarete... I would assume other places as well... Ive never asked for it at a bar (or bought it from the supermarket for that matter)...
I was in Santiago a week ago and I brought some lite presidentes at the colmado across from my mom's home. The taste and buzz seemed the same to me. I could be wrong but I agree with DavidZ, I believe the lite refers to calories not alcohol content just like the states.

Milosos

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 2, 2006
perlanegra said:

I don't get it!!

You get less calories with less alcohol

1 Oz of 100 proof alcohol= approx 100 cal
1 Oz of 70 proof alcohol =approx 70 calories

so it takes one third more Presidentes to get same calories and "buzz"

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
thanatos said:
I was in Santiago a week ago and I brought some lite presidentes at the colmado across from my mom's home. The taste and buzz seemed the same to me. I could be wrong but I agree with DavidZ, I believe the lite refers to calories not alcohol content just like the states.

I'm total against all those light, fat-free, lite, sugar-free, etc..... items out there, to me they are nothing but a diferent way of making themselves sellable, and when it isn't the taste is the side effects, so forth when I found something with any of this labels I go straight to the chart in the back and bang!!! There I find where the killer is!!

I took the time to read it before even tasting it, and there was nothing diferent in between the calories and junk in the chart, than the regular one.

I felt the diference in the alcohol part!!

Here in the states I drink Heineken and even they are selling the lite version. I will stick to the regular stuff, lesser liquids and a sure buzz!!

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Milosos said:

At 60.00 each??

I'll stick to the old fashion ones!!

Thanks for the facts! by the way where did you find them?? I was in the Presidente's website and they don't offer it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Milosos said:

I agree with you to a point. There are beers with less calories but the alcohol content remains the same. In Presidente's case you may be right. Were did you get info on Presidente.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
nickijay said:
I got back from 2 weeks in sosua yesterday and didnt see the lite stuff at all, drank plenty of the real stuff tho, dont think i'll find it here tho :(

The lite is available at most places in Sosua including playero and the many bars.

Milosos

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 2, 2006
thanatos said:
I agree with you to a point. There are beers with less calories but the alcohol content remains the same. In Presidente's case you may be right. Were did you get info on Presidente.

No specific information on Presidenete, just relating that Alcohol accounts for almost all of the calories and carbohydrates in Beer. There is a direct correlation between "Sugar alcohols" and carbohydrates

Basically, lite beer is less carbs due to less alcohol

The 1 oz of 100 proof lets you calculate the calories obtained from alcohol

I have no idea the actual content of Presidente, but most Lite beers advertise 1/3 less calorie's and most Lite beers are 1/3 less Alcohol.

I suppose some beers may add "something" that increases caloric value, no idea what, but calories from alcohol is pretty uniform based on that formula. So if you have a 6% beer, a 4% "Lite" beer will have 1/3 less calories and 1/3 less alcohol

So in essence it will cost you 1/3 more to get the same "buzz" from Lite Presidente than regular, or should you simply wish to enjoy the beer, you will get only 2/3 as intoxicated and 2/3 as many "empty" calories by drinking Lite Presidente

May 31, 2005
Not everyone drinks beer to get a buzz. That is why lite does it for some. Other people have to drive and do not want to be drunk when they drive.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Dragonfly32837 said:
Not everyone drinks beer to get a buzz. That is why lite does it for some. Other people have to drive and do not want to be drunk when they drive.
Could not have said it any better, if driving go lite.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Fan of Lite

For years we have found that the regular stuff seems so heavy, especially in such a warm climate. We soon tire of the beer & must find something else to imbibe. We were happy when the lite became available in 2005. While the lite is not available in many bars/restaurants, we purchase it at the local store. I guess if the only reason your are drinking is to get drunk, the regular would be a better deal for you. Rum would likely be cheaper though.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
All these answers, and you missed the reason for the existence of Presidente Light: it does have less alcohol, so therefore Light is charged less taxes than regular Presidente by the Dominican Government. Ergo, it's also a bit cheaper.

The campesinos still tend to drink Bohemia though, because it's cheaper yet. It also tastes better if it gets a little warm, or if the luz has been gone and the beer in the cooler warmed up.