the cost of finishing a house

A

apostropheman

i'm trying to figure the costs involved in finishing a smaller house that is currently just a shell. the interior is totally unfinished and consists of a living area, large kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a large bathroom. specifically i'm interested in the range in prices for supplies such as interior and exterior doors, metal louver windows, floor tile, bathroom tile, a bathtub...preferably larger than usual but we'll see, kitchen cupboards, toilet and sink/vanity, etc...

this is a dominican home, not supposed to be to american standards ,but a nice comfortable finish on a budget.

i know this is a bit general but any ideas on cost of supplies?

thank you

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Some prices

Am doing some renovating myself, these prices are from Ferreteria Ochoa in Santiago:

I just spent 12k on a bathroom that measures 13 square meters and that is without a bathub or a vanity mirror.

Floor Tile and bathroom tile go anywhere from 250 to 1000 peso's a square meter. The Cenefa (the trim, decorative peice which is optional) is quite expensive and can run you anywhere from 2 to 6 thousand peso's for a bathroom.

You can get a decent toilet for under 3k
Bathtubs run from 4k to 6k depending on the material
Sink/vanity varies considerably depending on what you are looking for. A simple bathroom sink can be purchased for 1k or so with the faucet running you another 700 or so.

Ian

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
For a rule of thumb use the following:
-for Euro/American top standard finishing (sans furniture) = $200/sq.meter
-decide what fraction of "top standard" you tolerate, and take that.

Jan 5, 2006
I suggest that you spend a day going to the different ferreterias in your area to do some comparison shopping and note taking. As an example, prices in Santiago vary greatly from one place to another for the same exact item, and no one place has the best prices or even close on everything.

A

apostropheman

Redscot said:
Am doing some renovating myself, these prices are from Ferreteria Ochoa in Santiago:

I just spent 12k on a bathroom that measures 13 square meters and that is without a bathub or a vanity mirror.

Floor Tile and bathroom tile go anywhere from 250 to 1000 peso's a square meter. The Cenefa (the trim, decorative peice which is optional) is quite expensive and can run you anywhere from 2 to 6 thousand peso's for a bathroom.

You can get a decent toilet for under 3k
Bathtubs run from 4k to 6k depending on the material
Sink/vanity varies considerably depending on what you are looking for. A simple bathroom sink can be purchased for 1k or so with the faucet running you another 700 or so.

Ian

thanks redscot! that's the type of info i seek.

i've read all the construction threads here but hope for a current pricerange.

any recommendations for exterior doors? there will be a very sturdy security bar setup, and some other features i won't mention but still feel a better door is a good investment. same with interior doors to a degree.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
While to most the building of a shell (errction of a house) may seem the bigger part of the job, it is "finishing" which usually causes the larger expense. Materials as tiles, glues, plaster, wood and wood works and bath room and kitchen fixtures can equal the value of shell building materials easily. On the other hand most "handy" may be able to execute a good part of the work by them selfes at their own pace... as long there is no hurry (like an imminent move-in date).

Good luck... J-D.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Anyone know the cost to build the shell, including plumbing, electrical and a concrete roof with clay tiles. The size of the house would be around 320 sq mtrs.