Diffrence between north and south

R

Rasta Man

I have been to Boca Chica. What I was wondering is how is the north diffrent from the south?

M

Maca (Spain)

Well, the first thing that is very different is the weather... I've been one week in Playa Dorada and it rained all the days.. But there isn't a big problem because there is lot of things to do... I think that north part of the country seems to be poorer... The roads are not well maintained and except of Santiago, the second city of the country, there are lots of little villages... But if you want to know DR, you should try the north, people is really nice, and it's very easy to move by yourself being alone...

S

Susanne

I would also advice you to spend some time on the Saman? Peninsula. It is absolutely beautiful with great beaches, verdant forests of coco palms and shrubs, tiny villages and small hamlets with colourful fishing boats.

It was by far the nicest part of the country that I saw. I liked other parts of the North Coast as well. It is true that it rains quite a bit in the Puerto Plata area, but you don't have to go far to the West before the country gets drier and more rugged. For instance, we stayed a couple of days in Bahia Maimon, just 10-15 kilometres West of Puerto Plata, and already here the weather was notably drier and sunnier. There were even some cactus growing wild here and there. The bay itself is very beautiful. Still further to the West - all the way out by the Montechristi area, the nature is almost desertlike.

Most of the North coast is hilly. Some places the hills are almost down to the sea, other places they are further inland but always visible.

Regards, Susanne