Does anyone live in the Southwest??

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Every post I read referrs to Sosua,Puerto Plata,and the north coast..Does anyone but me hail from the Southwest area?? I know it's not a tourist destination but then again we arent paying $150,000 +for homes here either and it is just as beautiful if not better than up north..:glasses:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The southwest in not the major tourist area, so be thankful....
Only Mirador and one other poster (who is currently on vacation somewhere else right now) are from that area.
It is beautiful, and with time it will have the amenities that are enjoyed in other, slightly more modern portions of te country have now.
Enjoy your uniqueness:p:p:p

HB :D:D:D

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
zak023 said:
Every post I read referrs to Sosua,Puerto Plata,and the north coast..Does anyone but me hail from the Southwest area?? I know it's not a tourist destination but then again we arent paying $150,000 +for homes here either and it is just as beautiful if not better than up north..:glasses:

What do you want to know about the Southwest?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
yes HB you are right.....

...the SW will be developed in about 100 years...........as soon as all the development for Casa de Campo, Punta Cana, and Samana are completed.....think you will all be dead.

However, I will definitely agree. The SW has by far some of the most dramatic ocean views and some of the greatest natural areas to discover in the Dom Rep.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, folks? DMS knows that region quite well.:p:p

However, because of the unique environment (like the semi-deserts mixed with the Barahona-Neiba micro-climate) the whole area is exceedingly fragile. Perhaps because of this fragility the passions over the Bahía de las Águilas are so high.

The fact that there is no water in the area should have a lot to do with this development.

In fact, I think water is the major roadblock facing Dominican tourist development over the next two decades. (Electricity is easier to get than water)

HB :D:D

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Eddyx

Eddyx said:
What do you want to know about the Southwest?

I don't want to know anything about the Southwest..I have a home there..Hillbilly gave me the answer I was looking for...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hillbilly

Hillbilly said:

However, because of the unique environment (like the semi-deserts mixed with the Barahona-Neiba micro-climate) the whole area is exceedingly fragile. Perhaps because of this fragility the passions over the Bah?a de las ?guilas are so high.

The fact that there is no water in the area should have a lot to do with this development.

In fact, I think water is the major roadblock facing Dominican tourist development over the next two decades. (Electricity is easier to get than water)

I have lots of water with great water pressure. I am also on the ocean with water comming down from the mountains behind be..But alot of the southwest is dry and arid..And when they do build a resort there it will be in the Los Platos -San Rafeal area where water is abundant and the beaches are pristene..I hope it's not going to be more than a 10 year wait..Things have been changing in that area..

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
zak023 said:
I don't want to know anything about the Southwest..I have a home there..Hillbilly gave me the answer I was looking for...

In the SW you can also appreciate some wildlife like no other place in DR, like flamingos, caymans, iguanas, etc., Hillbilly didn't mentioned this.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Camping Tours offers tours in that region.

Eddyx: There are flamingos and different iguanas in Monte Cristi, but anyone that knows the SW of the DR knows about these creatures....except the "caimanes", which are alligators.

That area that ZAC referred to--San Rafael to Los Patos is blessed (For a while) because it is relatively near the Nizaíto River (with its dam and artificial lake) which comes out of the Bahoruco National Park, another gem, nearly unknown to all.

But the problem is, what kind of a tourist population will that watershed support? Tourism does not produce much smoke, but it sure needs water.

Best wishes to all those who venture there!!

HB

Last edited:

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Hillbilly

Hillbilly said:
Yes, Camping Tours offers tours in that region.

Eddyx: There are flamingos and different iguanas in Monte Cristi, but anyone that knows the SW of the DR knows about these creatures....except the "caimanes", which are alligators.

That area that ZAC referred to--San Rafael to Los Patos is blessed (For a while) because it is relatively near the Niza?to River (with its dam and artificial lake) which comes out of the Bahoruco National Park, another gem, nearly unknown to all.

But the problem is, what kind of a tourist population will that watershed support? Tourism does not produce much smoke, but it sure needs water.

Best wishes to all those who venture there!!

HB
On second thought I think I would want to keep my backyard tourism free.I hope you all visit and see the secrets only a few know of..Such as the ones who posted here..But I want to keep it the way it is..[leave my water alone]LOL...Barohouco National Park..Gives me a rush just thinking about it...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Dms

Hillbilly said:

However, because of the unique environment (like the semi-deserts mixed with the Barahona-Neiba micro-climate) the whole area is exceedingly fragile. Perhaps because of this fragility the passions over the Bah?a de las ?guilas are so high.

Do you live in the SW? To know it as well as HB says you do you must live there..Mabye we are neighbors...PM me...

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
HB is a Santiago guy

zak023 said:
Do you live in the SW? To know it as well as HB says you do you must live there..Mabye we are neighbors...PM me...

But he has been in the DR a long time and knows alot about the island. I am sure you two would hit it off well with the SW part of the DR. As for DMS I do not know anything about them. Zak, there is a thread on DR1 that lists where everyone is from in the DR and abroad. You just might find a neighbor or two there.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Dms

DominicanScotty said:
But he has been in the DR a long time and knows alot about the island. I am sure you two would hit it off well with the SW part of the DR. As for DMS I do not know anything about them. Zak, there is a thread on DR1 that lists where everyone is from in the DR and abroad. You just might find a neighbor or two there.

Back up to post #4 DMS is a person not a place or thing..HB said HE knows the SW well meaning DMS...:glasses:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Yeah

zak023 said:
Back up to post #4 DMS is a person not a place or thing..HB said HE knows the SW well meaning DMS...:glasses:

I am with you on that Zak.... Have you seen the thread regarding where everyone is from? Look it up and add yourself to it.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
SW...and about every other square inch of this country....

....we are a business where knowing the geography and geology of the Dom Rep is very important. Therefore, I will wager that I have hiked, explored, and/ or flown into more isolated areas in this country than anyone other than Dominican mining engineers I personally know that have been doing the same for 20 years longer than me.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
P.S....I am not your neighbor.....

...I live in the "heart and soul" of the Dominican Republic.....right next to HB.

Hahahaah

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
dms3611 said:
...I live in the "heart and soul" of the Dominican Republic.....right next to HB.

Hahahaah

Now I understand what HB meant....Ok got my answer...I like the isolation of the Mid South West...Although you guys have all the beautiful Chicas...Send a few my way....

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier

Hola mi amigos,

Am back from our two month mid-year walkabout to the outside world. Got in some great kayaking and cleared the mind.

Sorry to report that the world is a " mess " out there and am glad to be back in Cabral and my slice of paradise. Have alot on my plate during the upcoming 4 month LCI business cycle so will not be as active on the forums this go around.

Given the start of this thread, I will confess that I live here in the SW and have been envolved in the area for over 10 years in the area of Economic Development. If I can be of assistence with anything regarding the area please feel free to contact me.

I do know of a forum contact living in Jimani that I noticed a while back who might check in with this tread.

Perhaps we need to get the SW folks together to plan how we keep the tourist at bay while we enjoy Paradise ourselves. Could meet at the PV in El Arroyo.

kFrancisco de Cabral