Where to buy PC in Santo-Domingo

W

wish

My dear friends!
I have read some topics about buying electronics at DR but they were too old, so I decided to start a new topic about buying a PC in DR, Santo-Domingo.

My friends from Ukraine are already there and they told mу about very high prices. I have found two shops in forum:

1. IGM
Nicolas Urena de Mendoza
Santo Domingo
567-6237 fax: 565-2648

2. CECOMSA
R?mulo Betancourt Ave. 331.
Tel (809) 532-7026

Are they still working? Is IGM the best?

My friends don't speak Spanish (but can communicate in English) and don't know nothing about PC's - is there ready PC's in IGM?

In Russia the cheapest way to buy electronics - order from online shop with free delievery - is there similar services in Santo Domingo?

Thank you for your answers, I've got much help from previous topic about ISP.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Cecomsa is still open, just passed it yesterday. Cecomsa is more of a shiny-pretty store with items on display while IGM (if I recall correctly) is a messy place with no items on display and a bunch of sales people sitting on their desks. For someone who doesn't know anything about computers Cecomsa is probably the better option. Carrefur on Duarte also has a bunch of Dell Computers but I doubt there are any sales people there who can help. Way overpriced too, so expensive it may justify a ticket to Miami to get it yourself.

W

wish

My friends decide to buy PC from some dominican friend because it is not possible to them to find good prices because of poor spanish and poor knowledge of PC world.

Maybe it will be helpfull for someone - posting prices suggested to them:

Descripcion Cant Total

Case Vacio 336-01 Plateado y Negro 1 1,062.50
Grabador De DVD Samsung 16X Negro 1 2,025.00
Motherboard P4 PC Chips 925533 Mhz 1 2,300.00
Prescott, A/V/M/L, DDR333
Procesador Intel P4 2.8Ghz 1 4,931.25
Bus 800
1MB Cache
Socket 775
Disco Duro 160GB Maxtor 1 3,462.50
Memoria DDR 512 PC 333 1 2,143.75
Monitor 19" Flat AOC 1 10,968.75
6 Meses Garantia
Teclado Negro X-Tech PS2 1 143.75
Mouse Optico PS2 Negro Genius 1 162.50
Bocinas 120 Watts 1 200.00
Instalacion Completa 1 500.00
PRGs
4 PUERTOS USB
2 PUERTOS PS2
TARJETA VIDEO 64MB
SONIDO FULL
MODEM 56KBPS
TARJETA RED 10/100
6 MESES GARANTIA EN PIEZAS
12 MESES SERVICIOS
ALGUNAS RESTRICCIONES APLICAN
RD$27,900.00

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Cecomsa! ! !

I bought 2 new PCs from Cecomsa, Santiago store; both were clones; 1 needed service, a new hard drive, in 6 months; Cecomsa came thru. Their prices seem competitive & they stand behind their PCs. Caution: laptops seem very expensive, throughout the DR.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
gringosabroso said:
I bought 2 new PCs from Cecomsa, Santiago store; both were clones; 1 needed service, a new hard drive, in 6 months; Cecomsa came thru. Their prices seem competitive & they stand behind their PCs. Caution: laptops seem very expensive, throughout the DR.

The current Mrs B was looking to buy a laptop last week and at the recommendation of the corporate IT man, we popped into Cecomsa on Romulo Betancourt in the capital.

The salesman there was very helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable, but their range was limited to a couple of Dell's, a couple of Toshiba's and a couple of others that I don't remember. All of them were quite highly priced but we were offered a 10% discount for cash.

Later the same evening in another shop on Romulo Betancourt we met an enterprising guy who specializes in rebuilding and refurbishing used PC's which he collects as "trade-ins" then sells at a fraction of the price of new ones to those institutions and individuals who can't afford to be or stay "State of the Art".

He explained that IHHO the apparent dearth of laptops on sale in the DR is a result of the miniscule market here...he reckoned that all over the country only 10 are sold per month - even if it were a national average of 10 per week it would still hardly justify anyone maintaining a large stock of such comparitively costly equipment. He recommended purchasing a good laptop from one of the more respectable computer/electronics sources Stateside and having it shipped here with one of the courier/parcel services from Miami. He said that some close research could come up with some real bargains which might even justify paying the full customs duties....otherwise find a friend, or a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend of a (well, you get the idea...!) to bring it over for you.