How To Cool Yourself Without Air Conditioning

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
"passive" air conditioning.

In "Mother Earth" magazine, I once read an article about cooling your home without using electricity. Basically, it consists of closing all doors and windows except for the ones in the attic and basement. Since hot air rises and vents out of the attic, it pulls in cooler air from below thus keeping temperatures lower inside than out.
My home in DR is two-level so that when the chimney-like vent over the stove is open, it acts the same way thus keeping it cooler.
Marble flooring also helps since it dissipates heat very effectively. Also trees and awnings around the house can keep you cooler without resulting to drastic measures, i.e., bathing in a tub of ice.

G

gary short

You can use super efficient 8-inch fans to move air around mine draw only .25 amps. Never understood the concept of using huge AC units. Its hot you sweat these little fans move air and cool you.
My Granparents lived in the mideast for years and always closed doors and windows during the day time to cool, moving cool air from two floors down.

G

gary short

JDJones said:
Ok, so what do I do when it's 11 oclock at night, the temperature is 92 degrees, there's not a breeze in sight, and I can't leave the windows open because they don't have bars?

a: get a big honkin AC unit
b: install steel bars so you can open your windows
c: get drunk and pass out
d: move to the Pacific Northwest.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
JDJones said:
Ok, so what do I do when it's 11 oclock at night, the temperature is 92 degrees, there's not a breeze in sight, and I can't leave the windows open because they don't have bars?

What most retirees do in Florida, walk the mall during the day and then eat out... and when they come home after five martinis turn the air down to 82... and get back up and do it all over again.;)

They can take as many fans as they want.... I still prefer a cool noisy window shaker over a wind machine for five hours at any cost.:surprised