rental car

laprincesa

Jul 2, 2006
I plan on renting a car and purchasing all the insurance I can to protect myself in case of any accidents or damage. I have heard nothing but horrible things about driving in the DR. Should all this insurance ease my mind? Should being with an experienced driver help the situation? We are driving during the day ONLY, leaving Boca Chica at 2 in the afternoon. Any good news? Any advice to make my trip enjoyable?

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Ive been driving in the UK and europe for 12 years but i dont think i will ever be ready to face driving in DR! If you want an enjoyable trip i really wouldnt consider driving even with all the insurance you can get. Public transport or taxis are the way just remember to agree a fee before your journey.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me warn you that even with all that insurance, if you are in the least sort of accident with anything, and someone gets a scrape, you do go to jail. That is the law.

Now, if you are the passenger, that is not much of a problem, you walk. the driver is the one that goes to jail.

You can rent a car and driver for less than a rental.

HB :D:D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Laprincesa,

Welcome to DR1. By looking at your other post you are thinking about renting a car and letting an unlicensed friend, Dominican, drive it. Please note the warning that Hillbilly gave you above. If it is your desire to go to other areas outside of Boca Chica and you wish to do so with a clear head where you don't need to worry about things like insurance, accidents, parking and fees and a host of other vehicle related things then look at the other options all of which would be easy especially with your Dominican friend and a lot cheaper. You can use public transportation, you can lease a car and driver or you can take a taxi. Having said that and with the other responses you have received then I feel safe that this board has advised you properly.

Rick