I'm thinking about moving to la republica

Batman4eva

Jul 16, 2006
Me and my parents are thinking about moving to la capital. My dad gets over $2500 USD pension plus we also have 150K USD cash. What can we do? We are thinking about renting. For the record we are Dominicans not Europeans so we are very fluent in Spanish. What would be our expected cashflow if we purchase a business for about 100K? What areas can we move to with about 500-1200 in rent at least 3 bedrooms and spacious :-\. Thanks for your input.

Y no quiero un sitio caliente tampoco.

Batman4eva

Jul 16, 2006
that's what i want to know, what kind of businesses can we purchase and what profit can we expect. What lifestyle can we expect. where can we live etc.. thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BAtman: To get an honest answer of that question you have to tell us where you are thinking of moving. $100K is not all that much capital. You'd be better off putting it into a bank account CD and using the interest.

Another thing. An in depth analysis of your situation is a question for a professional in the field and should cost some serious money. Otherwise you will just get opinions that may or may not jibe with reality.

HB:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
BAtman: To get an honest answer of that question you have to tell us where you are thinking of moving. $100K is not all that much capital. You'd be better off putting it into a bank account CD and using the interest.
I think that's good advice. A US FDIC account could give over $400US per month, an uninsured peso account, probably twice as much.

Investing in a business in a foreign country, where you may not be familiar with how things work, may cost you your entire investment (or more). Especially if the type of business is not one you are familiar with.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Unless you have a $USD 400K in addition to the $100K, it may not be the smartest idea to be in a RD Peso account if you are not risk tolerant.

***note: I am not predicting the direction of the RD Peso!

Batman4eva

Jul 16, 2006
My other question went unanswered. I'm planning on Renting what parts of santo dominingo can I live paying about 800-1200k in rent. Yo soy Dominicano por si alguno de ustedes tienen duda. Y otra cosa yo no quiero invertir en banco dominicano yo prefiero hacer un negocio, ¿tu sabes?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not sure how much time you have spent in the DR or if you have relatives living there now but the best suggestion anyone can give you is to go and spend a few months in the DR to see for yourself the areas and check out the rents and businesses.

Yes Dominicans only make less than 300 US a month but if you wish to live as an American with all life's conveniences you're going to pay for that luxury. You might also want to have a look where Dominicans live that make that amount a month.

And as far as buying a business goes you need to be there for at least a year before jumping into anything. You'll make better money leaving it in the bank back home as some have already stated.

Good luck