Fun, fun, fun....help Larry plan a trip......

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Wednesday, I am off to las Vegas for 13 days but when I return, I am finally going to do some real exploring around the DR because a week or so ago, I finally bought a car.

Anyway, despite living here almost a year, I know little about this country aside from the Capital, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Caberete and a few spots in the middle. What I am going to do is pack a suitcase and drive along the southcoast (from the capital) east through San Pedro, Juan Dolio and La Romana. At this point, I am not sure where to go. I definately want to see Samana and Las Terranas. From the point of Samama, I am undecided as to whether I should travel along the north coast or cut back through the heart of the country.

I have no clear cut plans on where to stay or for how long but the entire trip will probably be about 10 days. Can any of you please give me some suggestions on places to visit and where to stay, eat, things to see, etc.?

I am looking at a map right now. What is this little island directly south of Bayahbie called Saona??

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Let me add that in places to stay, I am looking for clean, simple accomodations. Nothing extravagant.

Larry

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I've also wanted to do some exploring. If you are looking for someone to share you explorations with, send me a PM.

I'm planning on coming to the DR the first week in September. At this point I haven't decided on whether I will be flying into POP or SDQ.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah, larry and rellosk exploring the country together, hahahaha. sounds like a match made in heaven. I have a feeling larry prefers to do it alone. Anyway, larry stop by my place in santiago and I will draw you a map of one possible journey through adventure.
AZB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Larry, I just got back from Las Galeras. It's a one horse town with the prize being the PLaya Rincon. The beach is worth it. You'll go through a maze of dirt roads and little villages and end up in a slice of heaven.

We stayed at Las Mariposas for 25 dollars a night, with 5 dollars covering breakfast and coffee for two. The rooms were not air conditioned but we had fans and nets. There was a tiny kitchen and fridge if you want to make your own food. I walked up to the colmado, shot the breeze with some people and had them make me sandwiches.

I also discovered Playa Grande this trip. What can I say, I like the beach. Man it was worth it.

In Santiago go to Centro Leon, well worth the 70 pesos.

I am in the same boat you are. My next trip I want to go someplace I have never been. Let me know what you find.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Larry:

Make sure you have a tour of The P.U.C.M.M. campus in Santiago.
Trust me, this is the best sightseeing tour of the country you will ever go on!

;)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Larry,

At this point let me invite you to El Seybo (Seibo). There sure as hell isn't much to see but if you wish to spend some time here I could introduce you to some Dominicans from all classes. In this area hardly anyone speaks English so we would have to be adventurous with our Spanish. We could have a beer or two and if you wished to spend the night my town does have a hotel but rest assured you are more then welcome to spend the night in my house. No A/C but plenty of fans and the food is Dominican and not to bad. Best of all the accommodations are free.

Rick

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Larry,

This is what MG is referring to...Playa Rincon and I agree. It is a slice of heaven. You should definately try and make it there. In order for you to get there from te main road you would have to go through a lot of dirt roads but it's 150% worth it!!!

See for yourself...

2093l00.jpg

2093iih.jpg

2093i4h.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course, the HB B&B is at your service. I would suggest a trip through the mountains south of Santiago. La Cuesta, SAJOMA, el Rubio, Moncion, Sabaneta (Santiago rodríguez) Dajabon, Monte Cristi. Just travelling.

Then, if you have a 4x4, get on the coastal road and do Buen Hombre, Punta Rucia, Estero Hondo, la Isabela and Luperón! No Highways!!

Then, back in Santiago, you can go to jarabacoa and Constanza, (again with the 4 x 4) cross over to San josé de Ocoa and San Juan de la Maguana.

Then down the border road to la Descubierta...an amazing trip if you are up for it. Beer is good all the way.

Them Barahona and Pedernales....

A lot dependson what you are willing to put up with and what kind of vehicle you are going to be using...

Good Luck

HB :D:D:D

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hillbilly said:
A lot dependson what you are willing to put up with and what kind of vehicle you are going to be using...

No 4x4. I have a Toyota Camry. I am willing to go anywhere it can take me without damaging it.

Thanks to everyone for the great info.....please keep it coming. I wont be doing this for a month or so but I promise a detailed trip report.

Larry

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
4 best roads in the country.

Barahona heading South towards Pedernales, while it runs along the coast.
Duarte highway up to Constanza.
Sabaneta to Moca.
Sanchez to Las Terenas, through El Portillo then onto La Samana.

I know you have already done the Sabaneta to Moca route, but the other 3 are not to be missed.

Sep 19, 2005
I like Larry, so I am gonna come out from under my rock to help his trip be more MEMORABLE...it might not be fun , but memorable for sure!

1st forget that sunstroke beach!!...you want to put larry in the hospital???

besides the beach is deserted...larry is going solo!!!...at least on a town to town basis...

Larry just download the picture for now, and well get back to the beach next year!

Mountain roads is what you seek..the more landlside evidence the better!!!!

next up a bird hunting trip with me and my buddies...well try and fit something in that takes us close to the hatian border...thats always good for an extra heartbeat....

after that a wild boar hunting trip in Batero....we can sleep with the tarantulas.....imagine the christamas story there to the grandkids.

After that we can fit a no mans land trip through the darkest slum barrio in san pedro de macoris....below the Ingenio Poervenir section....when the powers out!!!!! at 11 pm at night( I went through at 9 pm.) that will remind you, you have blood pressure.....especially the 2 of us alone!! ha ha ha we'll be like twin casper the ghosts........of course we best RENT a car for that section!!!!

but what do I know I think the hardest part would be just getting OUT OF Santo Domingo.....I tried for 2 hours TWICE!!!!!! the town with no signs!

your buddy Bob

ps: no sight seeing in Moca!!!!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Welcome back Bob!
Beware of The Tambora toting Gringo in Licey, I joined a Merengue Band, and will be performing at a Tipico near you soon.

Hillbilly said:
Of course, the HB B&B is at your service. I would suggest a trip through the mountains south of Santiago. La Cuesta, SAJOMA, el Rubio, Moncion, Sabaneta (Santiago rodr?guez) Dajabon, Monte Cristi. Just travelling.

Then, if you have a 4x4, get on the coastal road and do Buen Hombre, Punta Rucia, Estero Hondo, la Isabela and Luper?n! No Highways!!

Then, back in Santiago, you can go to jarabacoa and Constanza, (again with the 4 x 4) cross over to San jos? de Ocoa and San Juan de la Maguana.

Then down the border road to la Descubierta...an amazing trip if you are up for it. Beer is good all the way.

Them Barahona and Pedernales....

Good Luck

Hillbilly stole my thunder but his trip is the best, go out west thru Mao, Esperanza, Monte Cristi, and Definately go southwest to Barahoana and San Juan De maguana. I will be down on the 21st of August and will be making a trip to meet my new wifes family in Monti cristi, want to come she got sisters ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Toyota Camry:
Okay :p:p

You can do the Santiago, La Cuesta, San José de las Matas (Sajoma), El Rubio, Monción, Santiago Rodríguez, Dajabón, Monti Cristi run in that thing.

You can do the run up to Constanza and back--but not over to Ocoa.

And you can get to Pedernales, with detours to Neiba, Lago Enriquillo and Jimaní.

However, none of these trips are worth a row of pee-pee holes in the snow if you don't have somebody to share them with--male or female....You know, someone to take pictures of you in these "off the beaten path" places...??

Good Luck!!

HB :D:D

PS: I left out a trip to the east. That is easy, all the way to Cap Cana!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
1st forget that sunstroke beach!!...you want to put larry in the hospital???

Bob - eva heard of sun block? There is shade on this beach as well. Been there twice mi amigo.

(we need to talk about going bird hunting and wild boar hunting, i'd love to do this)

The beach is deserted. However it doesn't take away from being one of the most amazing places to visit. Going there alone won't be a good idea probably. Anddd going there by car is not such a good idea. Maybe next time Larry.

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
The beach where "El Zapato" is at in monte cristi is beatiful, no tourist at all near there. If you see big white hills, that means ur close to the beach, because ur by the salt plant. i was born in monte cristi, every time i go home i go there, beatiful place

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks again for all your input. I hope the great info keeps coming. My path is slowly taking shape.

Larry