Furniture

yakinodo

Jul 18, 2006
We will be furnishing an apartment in the Cabarete area in a couple months and need the advice of the board. Where do you suggest we look to find good quality furniture? We really like the kaoba. Any suggestions would be great.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That should be "CAOBA" or mahogany....very heavy and very expensive.

Most high quality furniture is custom made, and there are dozens of good workshops all over the central part of the Island and in Santo Domingo.

If you like rattan, there are several places that have received good grades from viewers here on DR1:

Mimbre y Rattan Navarrete--owned by Tito Bueno and his wife
Artesanía Rattan in Santiago--owned by the Sang family. Ping Jan Sang is currently the manager.

HB :D:D

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There are, to my knowledge, 2 really great men working in caoba here in Puerto Plata. Of course there are more, I just happen to know of these. Handmade is expensive, good quality and unique.

In Puerto Plata, you can also find some good items at Hidelisa Muebles and Gonzalez if you´re looking for that kind of furniture.

If you want lighter there is a new shop with classy Italian style that has opened behind the police station.

There is a good rattan craftworker here in Puerto Plata as well, on Calle Sanchez, close to the firestation.

In general on the island, my opinion is that there is no place that is best on all items. Your best bet would be to look around, see what you find for the day ( as it always depends - here today, tomorrow not )...

Good luck!!

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
If you want something different, I am making lounge pillows. Top quality, Sunbrella. Like a huge bean bag. Its 180 by 140 cm.

I send you a pm with the link. ;)

Last edited: