I just had to share this with you...

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
For those of you who send money to the RD, ServiCash will transfer your money with no fees attached. This service will remain free until at least the end of August. ServiCash is afilliated with the Banco Popular Dominicano. If you need to send more than $500 you can make multiple sends from your computer. Neither the sender or the recipient is required to have an account with BP but if the recipient does have an account, the money can be deposited directly into his/her account--if not, the cash can be picked up at any BP branch immediately......and no, I don't have any stock in the company.​

https://www.servicash.com/

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just be AWARE of their Tasa USD 1 = DOP 31.1500 (from their website)

Current Tasa is 32.60/USD, so it is really not free!

That is a 4.45% built in commission.

Last edited:

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
aegap said:
They are better alternatives to both, depending on where you live.

Could you please tell me what those alternatives are? I'd like to take advantage of them.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In addition to the bad exchange rate, the no-fee is only good on an INTERNET check (which I think may take a day or two to clear). If you want to pay via credit card, they charge fees.

Try Envios Boya, they have a better exchange rate (today it's 32) and charge slightly less fees. Plus they will deliver it to the recipient at no additional charge.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks

rellosk said:
In addition to the bad exchange rate, the no-fee is only good on an INTERNET check (which I think may take a day or two to clear). If you want to pay via credit card, they charge fees.

Try Envios Boya, they have a better exchange rate (today it's 32) and charge slightly less fees. Plus they will deliver it to the recipient at no additional charge.

Thanks rellosk...looks like a winner. I'm going to give them a try after this free period with ServiCash.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
azabache said:
Thanks rellosk...looks like a winner. I'm going to give them a try after this free period with ServiCash.
Hey friend why would you stay with ServiCash when Tamborista, Aegap and others have indicated that service is really not free and exchange rates lower than others.

Jan 5, 2006
All those places are charging you too much!

There are a zillion places in NJ/NY that charge a 4% flat fee and the person in DR gets US Dollars. As a comparison, Envios Boya charges 6% for the same service. ;)

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
ServiCash

thanatos said:
Hey friend why would you stay with ServiCash when Tamborista, Aegap and others have indicated that service is really not free and exchange rates lower than others.

Because ServiCash is doing these transactions with no charge (for promotional purposes) except they pay at a slightly lower rate. When I do the math, it's cheaper for me at this time to go with ServiCash.:glasses:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hipocrito Mejia said:
All those places are charging you too much!

There are a zillion places in NJ/NY that charge a 4% flat fee and the person in DR gets US Dollars. As a comparison, Envios Boya charges 6% for the same service. ;)
Aren't all those places walk-in operations where you pay via cash, not credit card?

For the additional 2% (actually, slightly less), I prefer the convince of not having to drive to the place. Plus Envios Boya delivers to the recipient.