Rancho Wendy

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
I found this site called Rancho Wendy and it is located on Bonao, My question is has anyone been there? It looks really intresting they offer alot of things to do as horseback riding and rock climbing. I found it quite affordable for $400 US with food included for 1 month stay. Also on there site you can speak to someone live which I found very intresting.. I just want some honest feedback on the rooms are they decent? Is the food any good? And how are the people there? I have been to Bonao and I enjoyed it very much. Compared to Sousa it's very laid back.

Please any info is better than none.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
It's a DUMP

That place is a dump....rooms are horrible....food is terrible

I wouldn't stay there for a month if they paid me.

Worst place I've ever experienced in the DR

MCM

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have also heard some horror stories. You gotta love the Internet, it can make or break you.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I don't doubt

a word of this, but you know what they say about "apples and oranges". You can't compare a place that charges less than $14 a day for a room AND MEALS to a nice place like, for example, the Aquarius (also in Bonao) which is a value at about 45 or $50 a night for a very nice room only. Look at other facilities in the same price range and you might find out this place comes out looking pretty good. Hard to imagine how they can stay in business charging those rates.

MotorCity Mike said:
That place is a dump....rooms are horrible....food is terrible

I wouldn't stay there for a month if they paid me.

Worst place I've ever experienced in the DR

MCM

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
To each their own......

My wife and I stayed there one night and it was the worst place we've ever been; even considering my standards for a place to sleep aren't that high.

The room was in a building that looked like a garden shed, stray cats found their way into the room even after being "tossed outside"..there was enough clearance under the door to allow the cats to get in.

The floor was just bare cement...no tile or anything. The toilet, sink, and shower head were in a small corner that was semi-partitioned but did not have a door. The toilet and sink were cracked and filthy. The mosquito netting over the bed had huge holes in it.

The breakfast was "disgusting"

But again....to each their own!!!

Mike

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MotorCity Mike said:
To each their own......

My wife and I stayed there one night and it was the worst place we've ever been; even considering my standards for a place to sleep aren't that high.

The room was in a building that looked like a garden shed, stray cats found their way into the room even after being "tossed outside"..there was enough clearance under the door to allow the cats to get in.

The floor was just bare cement...no tile or anything. The toilet, sink, and shower head were in a small corner that was semi-partitioned but did not have a door. The toilet and sink were cracked and filthy. The mosquito netting over the bed had huge holes in it.

The breakfast was "disgusting"

But again....to each their own!!!

Mike
Sounds like SunCamp in Munoz.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
I have stayed there several times and the people that run it are very nice and accomodating. I do camp when I am there so I cannot comment on the rooms. The meals are family-style and simple. Its is not touted as a multi-star resort. It is a simple place and the price reflects it. There is is a lot to do there and the surrounding area is beautiful. The owners organized a trip up Pico Duarte from there that was VERY, VERY, VERY inexpensive. Bear in mind once again, equipment was not supplied which is my preference. Then again, I have something about sleeping in a sleeping bag that is still warm from someone else using it.

I would describe it more of a Youth Hostel than a resort.

I do not have any type of interest in the place other than I think the folks that run it are very nice.

christofer

Feb 21, 2005
it all in what you ake it

rancho wendy is cool man. you gotta be down for an active vaction to enjoy it there in los Quemados. there are a lot of opportunities to do it all there. its really down to earth and is a little gem of the island that is being polished up but still posses a nice shine. dont let anyone bias you to this place. just get there yourself. i get out there every three months or so. more later. adios amigos.

paddlin29

Nov 27, 2006
I have stayed at Rancho Wendy several times now. I find it to be a very good deal for the budget traveller. The owners have set up easy access for guests to enjoy the hiking, kayaking, horseback riding and climbing in this very pretty corner of the DR. If there is a better deal for the budget traveller in the DR, please let me know.

Commonly,
Carl

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow !
Two first time posters in a row, ranting about how great Rancho Wendy is.
I've never been there myself and have heard conflicting reports, but seeing two first time posters in a row saying how great it is, leads me to believe there aren't any real posters with good things to say about it.
It's enough to convince me to never go there, or recommend it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Bonao is a great area for eco excursions. We recommend the Aquarius in Bonao city for lodging. They also offer eco excursions -- "horseback riding, ferry rides to discover the beauty of the Dam of Hatillo and Rincon, cave exploration, river and mountain exploration and more?" Aquarius Hotel, Bar & Restaurant - Dominican Republic (DR1)

A group of graduate students from Mundo Maria Montessori school in Santo Domingo just stayed at Rancho Wendy for a retreat and while they enjoyed the activity, they were all thumbs down on the sleeping accommodations and the meals. The lodging facility made for hardship training even for those who were accustomed to camping out.

Recommend that you take a look before paying. If, as stated in one of the previous posts, they are charging US$14 a night, I believe that would be about right for what they are offering. If you can pay per night and see if it fits your style, all the better. You might also check into the excursions they offer. I understand that is their forte, not the lodging nor meals.

kenDude

Feb 1, 2007
Hi,
I'm a new poster, but I've never been to the DR. I'm going there on 2/15/07 to learn Spanish. The Rancho Wendy site mentions a Spanish immersion/volunteer experience. Anyone know anything about that? Are there other Spanish courses in the mountains? I want to learn Spanish, but I want to be close enough to the mountains so I can hike in the weekends/afternoons.

Ken

amelie918

Feb 21, 2007
Hello. I am a first time poster and am going to the DR for the first time mid march. Also interested in the spanish immersion program at the rancho. Anyone with info? Perhaps different lodging for volunteers?:lick:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello. I am a first time poster and am going to the DR for the first time mid march. Also interested in the spanish immersion program at the rancho. Anyone with info? Perhaps different lodging for volunteers?:lick:
Simply amazing, how all inquiries are from first time posters.

kenDude

Feb 1, 2007
Hey, I just got back from studying in Santiago. I didn't visit the Rancho Wendy, but I am one of the earlier first-time posters, and I have had and never had any contact with Rancho Wendy people, except a few e-mails inquiring about their Spanish immersion/volunteer experience. There may be a pattern here, but I wasn't part of it.
No longer first time poster, Ken Mayer, Annapolis, MD