Buy used car in Santo Domingo

W

wish

And another actuall question for me!

DR1 Search engine drives me crazy, I'm looking for "buy a car Santo Domingo" and it gives me "Rent a car" topics, and Hotel topics and every topic in the world except mine...

The questions is: What is the best place in Santo Domingo (price, quality) to buy a used car?

And one more: Is it reasonable to buy only japan cars there (4 people saying that)?

Thank you sooooo much!

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
OK Veh?culos Usados

You might want to try this dealer. Phone number is (809) 547-1948. Website: http://www.grupoambar.com.do/do/sdm/

Be sure to hit where it says 'OK VEHICULOS USADOS'. It's very reasonable to buy Japanese cars in the DR since they don't devaluate as much as European vehicles.

When you talk about your friends in other threads, do you mean Dominican friends? If so, know that they can guide you better as to where to buy an used car.

W

wish

Nope, my friends are from ex-USSR (Russia, Ukraine) as I am.

And your help for us is like a motivation for action = it speeds the time to get into DR reality - thank you very much!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Buying used cars in the DR ? ? ?

I've purchased 2 used cars in the DR; both were diesel SUVs; both turned out t/b exc. purchases, in all modesty; my advice:

* buy Listin Diario once or twice per week; search the classifieds; there ares usually motivated sellers [plural] who must sell & must accept a reduced price;
* if you're not in Santo Domingo, take 2 - 4 days & visit SD; 80% of the cars for sale seem t/b in SD; tour all of the car dealers; all sell used [& some new] cars; take notes; it gets confusing; the process can be fun, esp. for a male;
* if you have white skin, blue eyes, & a very green wallet, expect to be asked to pay top $;
* if you see something you like @ an attractive price, tell the seller that you like the car but the price is too high; no response? Ask for his business card & very politely & slowly walk away; come back the next day; cars are very difficult to sell in the DR. Bull**** walks, money talks!
* think diesel! Think Japanese! Parts are easy to get for all Japanese brands. Less so for cars from other countries.
* the internet?? I don't know; I've never used any of the DR sources.
* Consider waiting, if possible; DR-CAFTA should bring new & used car prices down. How much? Speculative? When? 6 - 9 - 12 months
Good luck!