Samana/El Catey airport progress

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I passed by the new airport on my way to San Francisco de Macoris and a shopping trip at la Sirena (huge, it rivals Wally World) and noticed the new control tower rising above the treeline. The huge 360 degree windows are clearly visable from the highway as was the huge crane towering above the structure. If I'm not mistaken, the tower sits above the terminal so this means the roof of the terminal must be completed. We didn't have time to stop and visit the site but be rest assured, we will be there with camera in hand once it opens to the public.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
great news! photos anyone?

i'll be so happy when i don't have to waste 2 days of a 14-day holiday going to and from the airport.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I stand corrected. I received some nice pictures today of current construction at the airport. The tower is clearly shown standing off to the side of the terminal and not on it's roof as I had thought. The person who sent them to me also sent them to Robert to post here on DR1 so hopefully we will see them in a day or two. These aerial shots are even better than those we posted several months ago.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Photos I received via email today.

samana_airport_1.jpg

samana_airport_2.jpg

samana_airport_3.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it is where they say it is, is has to be at least an hour to an hour and a half from Samaná city proper.

To me it looks like a replica of the Santiago Airport.

HB:D:D

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I've timed the run from the airport to the city of Samana at 40 minutes, and on out to Las Galeras at 1 hour and 10 minutes. Sanchez and the turnoff to Las Terrenas is less than 20 minutes. Eventually the new Samana-Santo Domingo highway will pass by the airport and continue on out to near Las Galeras. Following this new highway, Las Terrenas should only be about 20 minutes from the airport and Las Galeras should be less than an hour.

Last edited:

bmail18

Dec 26, 2005
So is the first flight still scheduled for Nov. 7th? coming from Germany right? Because I read somewhere else...(I think in LT7...not positive), that is was Nov. 1st, but from most that Í´ve heard it´s the 7th? Anyone confirm that?

Hi Steve.

Thanks!

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
from dr1 travel news

The changing Dominican tourism
The president-elect of the National Hotel & Restaurant Association, Luis Lopez, during an interview with Huchi Lora on Channel 11 commented on the changes in the Dominican hospitality industry. He commented that there is a trend to upgrade the hotel room inventory to attract travelers with a higher purchasing power. He said the challenges ahead are to provide more golf courses, more professional hotel services and more efficient public services as part of what he calls the transforming of the Dominican tourism industry. He said this has resulted in each new hotel trying to surpass in quality services what the other has offered. He said that the country is moving towards offering more and more vacation home projects, attracting those who seek marina and golf course services. He commented that every year new golf, marina or luxury hotel constructions are begun. He forecast that Samana would become the new prime destination in the Caribbean with the opening of the El Catey airport that will be ready by November. He said already, 15 international flights have been secured for the airport. He says this airport will service vacation sites from Cabo Frances Viejo in Maria Trinidad Sanchez province to the west on to Samana on the eastern side of the north coast.

barcelona

Apr 12, 2006
Canadian tour operator Sunwing is already selling Samana departures from Toronto starting on Dec 19th.

DATE: 19DEC2006
DEPART TIME: 07:00 ARRIVE TIME: 14:10
FLIGHT #: WG410 SOLD BY: Sunwing / Red Seal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
DATE: 26DEC2006
DEPART TIME: 15:00 ARRIVE TIME: 18:30
FLIGHT #: WG411 SOLD BY: Sunwing / Red Seal