Going to St. Maartin Tomorrow!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ok, so I'm leaving on an extended girls-night-out to St. Maartin tomorrow night for 7 days (4 girls total - will post pics eventually!). What is there to do? I hope is not like the Bahamas - I was bored by the 3rd day and ended up going to DR to 'make up' didnt feel like I had gone on vacay!

Lets make it DR related - any similarities or contrasts?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Just have fun!

TallD-

I don't know anything about St. Maarten but I have always heard good news about vacationing there. Of course it depends on what you like to do but I can't imagine you not having fun with your girlfriends. Go on-line and read a bit about the island. Oh- of course go dancing!

Have fun TD, I always wish the best for you.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Deer - I think the Dutch side. But what is the difference exactly - better, worse, what gives?

Lesly - Thanks for the good wishes!

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
kdeer said:
Where in St. Maartin are you going? Dutch side or French side......

Talldrink hid that well, the island is either 'St. Martin' in French or 'St. Maarten' in Dutch :)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Talldrink said:
LOL - this is how they spelled it at the hotel site: Sint Maarten

That'll be the Dutch side.
The French side is actually fully part of France, and the French overseas territories still tend to have lots of French influence (good croissants :) ), while the Dutch side is more independent. I've been told that, because of that, the difference in wealth between the two sides of the island is enormous, as the the French social security system covers the French side, while the Dutch side is outside the Dutch social security and education system.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tamborista - you are the third person to tell me to go to Grand Case - will be there with bells on!

Oh, and thanks for the website, phone numbers and everything!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
TD:

Keep in mind, if you do not want fine dining for over $50 USD/PP, they have these great streetside Cafe/BBQ's with great food for much less.

I hope you rented a car, you will need it to get from the nude beaches to happy hour!

Have a safe trip!

Tamb'

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
The french side is considerably more expensive than the Dutch side. Orient Beach (nude on one end, clothed on the other end) is great...mind you some of the nudies shouldn't be. We preferred the dutch side...there is a good restaurant called Beau Beau's at the resort on Dawn Beach. I have a whole list of things to do. PM me if you want me to send it to you. BTW - the best deal on jewellery is in Phillipsburg. Great prices and when I got back to Canada we had the jewellery appraised and it was worth what they said or more which was great. $3000 US ring for $725 US....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Talldrink said:
Deer - I think the Dutch side. But what is the difference exactly - better, worse, what gives?

Lesly - Thanks for the good wishes!
One of the sides is cheaper. I think the Dutch. The other charges in Euros. Big difference from what I was told.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
There is a Dominican Community on the Dutch side and of course Presidente is found almost everywhere. Beware of the steep hills. Enjoy the Guavaberry drinks.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hipocrito Mejia said:
Please don't come back with any sankie stories! :p:p:p

Oh C'mon! You think I'll go all the way over there when I can just go 'home' and get a Dominican Sankie?!! He speaks my language, will dance a mean bachata and then forget about me! I thought you all knew me better by now...

I think I'm the Sankie-ette here... Free vacay for me and friends!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do a comparison to the DR including the men ;) when you get back. I've wanted to go a few times, from what I heard it's lovely.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I'm jealous, I need to get me some friends to vacation with.

Have lots of fun!!!!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
M.A.R. said:
I'm jealous, I need to get me some friends to vacation with.

Have lots of fun!!!!!

Ditto, TD. Is this your first 'real' (non-DR) vacation as a single woman? Look out St Maarten!!!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I heard that girls can walk in topless to some bars and guys would by them drinks, not sure exactly what happens afterwards ... So, be careful where you go!