Best deals on real amber with inclusions in Santo Domingo

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I will be flying into Santo Domingo (SDQ) and I was thinking about buying some stones (or jewelry already in settings) of amber with insect inclusions.

I have researched this issue on this forum and have learned that there are people who sell fake amber (actually plastic) and that it is wise to buy from jewellery shops rather than from beach vendors. I will not be up by the north coast, so I was only interested in places to buy authentic amber in or near the airport (SDQ). Are there shops inside SDQ? I assume that there are and if so, then all of the amber sold in those shops will probably be authentic but over-priced.

Where is the BEST place to buy real, but inexpensive amber in Santo Domingo?

I assume that the tourist areas are a rip-off.

Also, I have read that there is a good shop in Santo Domingo Este (zona Oriental) that is popular with the locals. I don't know the name or address and the only information I have is that it is located "on Avenida Venezuala with the continuation of whatever 27 de Febrero becomes (beside some gas station, right across from a Burger King)...after you take the Duarte Bridge over Rio Ozama heading East, don't take the big tunnel, rather turn left @ first lights..."

Does anyone know that place? How easy is it to find coming from the airport? I will be getting on the autoposta so I will be leaving the airport on Las Americas road and then I will be straight to 27th of Feb and get off at Maximo Gomez to the autopista.

How do I see this particular amber store? Before I get on the Autopista?

As an aside, I found the following website on the Internet and I wanted some feedback. the prices for amber with insects included that are quoted at the bottom of the page are mainly around $10-$30. Are these typical prices that I should expect when I am in the DR?

http://snakefly.tripod.com/DR4Sale.html

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dont know about aveneda Ven.

DavidM said:
I will be flying into Santo Domingo (SDQ) and I was thinking about buying some stones (or jewelry already in settings) of amber with insect inclusions.

I have researched this issue on this forum and have learned that there are people who sell fake amber (actually plastic) and that it is wise to buy from jewellery shops rather than from beach vendors. I will not be up by the north coast, so I was only interested in places to buy authentic amber in or near the airport (SDQ). Are there shops inside SDQ? I assume that there are and if so, then all of the amber sold in those shops will probably be authentic but over-priced.

Where is the BEST place to buy real, but inexpensive amber in Santo Domingo?

I assume that the tourist areas are a rip-off.

Also, I have read that there is a good shop in Santo Domingo Este (zona Oriental) that is popular with the locals. I don't know the name or address and the only information I have is that it is located "on Avenida Venezuala with the continuation of whatever 27 de Febrero becomes (beside some gas station, right across from a Burger King)...after you take the Duarte Bridge over Rio Ozama heading East, don't take the big tunnel, rather turn left @ first lights..."

Does anyone know that place? How easy is it to find coming from the airport? I will be getting on the autoposta so I will be leaving the airport on Las Americas road and then I will be straight to 27th of Feb and get off at Maximo Gomez to the autopista.

How do I see this particular amber store? Before I get on the Autopista?

As an aside, I found the following website on the Internet and I wanted some feedback. the prices for amber with insects included that are quoted at the bottom of the page are mainly around $10-$30. Are these typical prices that I should expect when I am in the DR?

http://snakefly.tripod.com/DR4Sale.html

http://www.amberworldmuseum.com/ has some good stuff
not that over priced

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi David! When you examine the amber, use a high power (16 or 20) lens to verify that the things you see are really insect/other parts. Some stuff reputed to have insects may be clusters of dust particles. If the insects are spectacular,and the price is low, test the "amber" with friction to see if it produces static electricity. It should pick up/move a tiny fragment of paper.
The best stuff I have seen is sold by dealers on the Tourist mountain road between Puerto Plata and Santiago. Take care, bargain a lot, good luck!! Canadian Bob.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
David,

If your schedule is the same, I think the Amber Museum in SD will be your best bet. The places Bob mentioned are well out of your way from SDQ to Las Terrenas. The prices at the museum may not be the lowest, but the product should be authentic.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks for the responses so far. It took me a while to locate this thread because it was moved and nobody advised where it was moved to.

Anyone else have any ideas for amber? If not, then I will probably use the above advice for my purchases.