Gasoline to Gas Conversion On Vehicle

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have been quoted 18,500 to convert my Nissan Pathfinder to Gas. Well, it will have a switch that you can go between Gasoline and Gas as you desire. Anyway, I have been told by some that it will do no damage to the engine. Then I have heard, by otherss, that it can damage the engine. I wanted to get more feedback from members here. I also wanted to ask if this will affect the resale value of the vehicle???????????????????????????

Thanks for your input.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Snuffy said:
I have been quoted 18,500 to convert my Nissan Pathfinder to Gas. Well, it will have a switch that you can go between Gasoline and Gas as you desire. Anyway, I have been told by some that it will do no damage to the engine. Then I have heard, by otherss, that it can damage the engine. I wanted to get more feedback from members here. I also wanted to ask if this will affect the resale value of the vehicle???????????????????????????

Thanks for your input.
my friend has two cars on LPG in UK he have had no problems.I have other friends who have had problems i think if you get a cheap gas convert you may get problems, the old saying you get what you pay for, some firms charge about £800.00 some charge about £1.000 depending what car.It will take you a few years to break even, the car would not be worth less you payed the 18.500 think how much KPH you do would it be worth having it converted and how old is the car and when would you be buying another one things to think about??? hope that helps you vince uk

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I investigated the whole thing from A to Z, as I deperately wanted to convert my gas guzzling 3.8 L, V6 to propane.
The price you're being quoted is about right.
The problem is that those conversions that people say are not harmful to your engine, are the ones in Europe, in particular, costing 1,500 to 2,000 Euros, while the ones they do here, WILL damage your engine, without a doubt, for sure.
It would increase the sale value of your vehicle, to most Dominicans, as they don't seem to be that aware about how damaging it is, and really like the cheaper operation costs.
I would never buy one that was converted in the DR, as I am now aware that it reduces the life expectancy of the motor by more than half.

May 12, 2005
What about the life expectancy of the driver riding around in that rolling bomb?? I've always wonerded what would happen if you're rear ended by another vehicle and you have that big lpg tank mounted in your trunk??

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well, I have never seen any vehicles go up in an explosion. So, I guess they are doing something right as many have it.

Rocky, 18,500 pesos. I swear I go through that in about 2 months using regular gasoline. So how much will I save using the Propane? Halves the life expectancy of engine...gee that is a horrible stat. Are you sure about that? I see lots of nice SUVs with propane. The other option is selling it and buying a small vehicle.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Snuffy said:
Well, I have never seen any vehicles go up in an explosion. So, I guess they are doing something right as many have it.

Rocky, 18,500 pesos. I swear I go through that in about 2 months using regular gasoline. So how much will I save using the Propane? Halves the life expectancy of engine...gee that is a horrible stat. Are you sure about that? I see lots of nice SUVs with propane. The other option is selling it and buying a small vehicle.
I don't have stats.
I'll tell you what managed to convince me.
My friends at Espaillat, told me not to do it, specially with an older motor, as it was almost like giving it the kiss of death.
You can well imagine that they have a trememndous amount of experience in cars, knowing what to buy and what to avoid, with nothing to gain and nothing to lose by what they told me.
I still couldn't understand the discrepancy of opinions, so I got to rethinking it a bit, then decided to go to the propane station near Sosua.
As we are good clients, by way of our restaurant consumption, and I had developed a rapport with the owner, I thought he might give it to me straight.
Everytime I go there, most of the clients are the public cars filling up, so who better to know than him.
I had previously noticed that the exhaust sound from those cars was different than normal, a bit like the sound of an inboard/outboard dielsel boat engine.
I asked him his opinion.
He replied that it definitely damaged the engines and reduced their life expectancy.
I asked him why so many drivers still converted.
He told me that they could not afford to provide the public car service otherwise, and as they are plain little Jap engines, they aren't that hard or expensive to rebuild.
In other words, it was still more economical for them, what with the tremendous amount of mileage they do everyday.