Tug Boat captured by Pirates DR to Turks & Cicos

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
I just had a friend tell me a Tug Boat from Puert Plata owned by an American on the North Coast had his Tug Boat intercepted at sea by Pirates and taken to Haiti.

The boat was towing a barge full of cargo to the Turks and Caicos and the Captain and all the Crew are missing presumed murdered.

Anyone heard about this. I was thinking of investing in inter island cargo shipping but this sheds new light on the risk?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Collingwood said:
I just had a friend tell me a Tug Boat from Puert Plata owned by an American on the North Coast had his Tug Boat intercepted at sea by Pirates and taken to Haiti.

The boat was towing a barge full of cargo to the Turks and Caicos and the Captain and all the Crew are missing presumed murdered.

Anyone heard about this. I was thinking of investing in inter island cargo shipping but this sheds new light on the risk?

Heard about it too. The tugboat and its crew were taken to Tortuga island, just off the northern coast of Haiti. I also heard the captain of the pirates is some swishy guy with the surname of a bird...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have just spoken to an American Boat owner (shipping variety) & captain about this. It appears that the tug was a small one not suitable for heavy seas - more a river type tug. It is most likely that it went down (with or without hands on board) when it got out to sea due to the inclement weather.

MIGHT be an insurance claim job, might be just bad seamanship, but it is most UNLIKELY to be Pirates according to him!!

What a pity - a bit of swashbuckling piratery :pirate: would go down well with all of the locals right now!! ~ Grahame.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
This story, or one seemingly identical in it's circumstances, first emerged with the "report" of an alleged incident in June 2005.

It kinda fizzled out for lack of proof (or should I say evidence then)....but perhaps someone is interested in reviving the case now.......although it seems more likely to be the work of Captain Rumour and his ever-willing crew....

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Tugs and barges.....

.....we own a shipping naviera here in the DR and we also own and /or control several tugs, barges and ships. I suppose you could consider us a "cross" grouping of Americans and Canadians. Our company has offices here in the DR and in Provo. We ship materials on a weekly basis to various islands with materials (primarily T&C, but also Guantanamo, Jamaica, and Exumas). None of our ships have sunk nor been "hijacked" by marauding pirates of Haiti. We have been shipping for years. I would love to meet other American or Canadians that LIVE here in the DR that own Tugs and barges....especially the "supposed" owner of the tug and barge in question since I personally know no such group or person.

....but it is a GREAT concept on the evening of Santiago's opening night of "Pirates of the Caribbean.......

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
...one more thing on this info....

...just got updated info on this for those interested. The owner/financer of the tug in question is CANADIAN....lives in Trinidad...but has been visiting (working vacation) the DR with respect to tugs/barges/boats for a few weeks. Some bad things did occur with this tug last December...bad things with tug...and apparently crew. An attempt, by the owner, is currently being made to "seize" the tug from current location (which is not at bottom of ocean).