Mosquito Scarring

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This has been a concern of mine ever since I first came here and saw the long term damage that mosquitoes do to skin. We have a new housekeeper and her arms and most notably her legs are scarred something terrible. She has informed me that she has two windows and the mosquitoes come in and attack her and her child. So I gave her some inexpensive screen and a way to attach it very inexpensively. But what am I missing. Surely they don't want their children to have damaged skin for a lifetime. Why doesn't the man go buy screen and put it up. It isn't that expensive and the positives so much outweigh the little money invested. For the cost of a few beers and you have a solution.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Snuffy said:
This has been a concern of mine ever since I first came here and saw the long term damage that mosquitoes do to skin. We have a new housekeeper and her arms and most notably her legs are scarred something terrible. She has informed me that she has two windows and the mosquitoes come in and attack her and her child. So I gave her some inexpensive screen and a way to attach it very inexpensively. But what am I missing. Surely they don't want their children to have damaged skin for a lifetime. Why doesn't the man go buy screen and put it up. It isn't that expensive and the positives so much outweigh the little money invested. For the cost of a few beers and you have a solution.

Mosquito bites do not produce long term damage to the skin. The bites usually heal within a day or two leaving no mark. Your housekeeper's problem is related to secondary skin infections supported by the bite lesions. She probably has a skin condition that predisposes her to infection. She needs to strengthen her skin, and most importantly review her higiene habits and environment to check the source of infection.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Mirador, I appreciate the response. I am somewhat surprised as mosquito bites leave a scar on my daughter for weeks and maybe months. I do believe these that I see on people are from being constantly attacked by mosquitoes and scratching the wound. Explain the part of strengthening the skin? Anyway, it is a big problem here in this country for those living in barrio.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Snuffy said:
Mirador, I appreciate the response. I am somewhat surprised as mosquito bites leave a scar on my daughter for weeks and maybe months. I do believe these that I see on people are from being constantly attacked by mosquitoes and scratching the wound. Explain the part of strengthening the skin? Anyway, it is a big problem here in this country for those living in barrio.

I think "scratching the wound" is the important detail here. While I don`t scratch, I don`t get scars. As soon as I start scratching, well that`s another story... plus then you have all the "remedies" dominicans put on their wounds to get better. Often makes it worse!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Snuffy said:

I would recommend increase consumption of vegetables and fruits high in Vitamin A, like pumpkin (auyama), mango, carrots, avocado, fully ripe peppers and tomatoes, papaya, passion fruit (as a matter of fact, most yellow and/or orange vegetables and fruits are high in Vitamin A). Also, a thirty or so minute session, three or four consecutive days, of soaking the sun (sun bath) after covering the entire body with olive or coconut oil. This should be done every three or four months for maintenance. Avoid bath soaps with added bactericides, and use instead Castille or common 'cuava' soap. Also, soaking in the sea, at least once a months. For simple scratches and mosquito bites, keep in a tray a long aloe (sábila) leaf and when needed, cut around the outer bark to expose the gel, and apply as a lotion. And last but not least, synthetic fiber bed clothing (and if possible all clothing) should be replaced by 100% cotton.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Snuffy said:
..... For the cost of a few beers and you have a solution. ..... Anyway, it is a big problem here in this country for those living in barrio.
Well I might as well jump in, get my feet wet on DR1, and take my chances here with the group on DR1...

First let me say that I have been here 9 years. I talk with lots of women that live in barrios. And they almost all tell me the same things.

The men will not buy them anything, they will not buy things for their babies, they treat the women bad and they beat them.

And you want them to give up a few beers!

Anyone taking offense at that or think I am wrong is more than welcome to meet me in Santiago, and we will do a live survey with the women of the barrios to back up my statement.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
good advice

Mirador said:
I would recommend increase consumption of vegetables and fruits high in Vitamin A, like pumpkin (auyama), mango, carrots, avocado, fully ripe peppers and tomatoes, papaya, passion fruit (as a matter of fact, most yellow and/or orange vegetables and fruits are high in Vitamin A). Also, a thirty or so minute session, three or four consecutive days, of soaking the sun (sun bath) after covering the entire body with olive or coconut oil. This should be done every three or four months for maintenance. Avoid bath soaps with added bactericides, and use instead Castille or common 'cuava' soap. Also, soaking in the sea, at least once a months. For simple scratches and mosquito bites, keep in a tray a long aloe (s?bila) leaf and when needed, cut around the outer bark to expose the gel, and apply as a lotion. And last but not least, synthetic fiber bed clothing (and if possible all clothing) should be replaced by 100% cotton.

This is very good advice. I work in the pharmaceutical/dermatology industry, and based on the lack of medicines readily available there, you give very good advice. Her condition can be treated by a topical corticosteroid, to treat the flare, your advice will help long term.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
SantiagoDR,

I went through your prior posts and failed to see a welcome mat rolled out to you so allow me to welcome you to DR1 and hope to see your continued participation in the threads. I noticed Hillbilly invited you to PM him as he lives in your town.

Sorry everyone for the sidetrack of the thread but felt that a proper welcome was in order. Back on thread.

Rick

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Mirador....wellllllllllll....why didn't you tell me that before. I didn't know that. Thanks. I will work on her. My wife says not to mention it again as she will be embarrassed. But I prefer to force them to see the solution and take the emotional pain. The end result is always better. So I will be bringing it up again. hehe.

Santiago...I know you are right. And I know many dominican men who do a great job as a father and husband. What I will never understand is how one can turn his back on his known to be child and not care for its well being. That one just speaks volume of culture and lack of character.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
KateP said:
I think "scratching the wound" is the important detail here. While I don`t scratch, I don`t get scars. As soon as I start scratching, well that`s another story... plus then you have all the "remedies" dominicans put on their wounds to get better. Often makes it worse!
Something that worked for me was applying "witch hazel" on the mosquito bites. After a few days the bites cleared up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mosquito bites only leave scars if they become infected. I still have some faint marks from infected bites some 35 years ago.

lunar

Jun 14, 2006
I am not sure how expensive vinegar is in DR but to avoid the itching and subsequently the scratching I use vinegar on mosquito bites, it takes away the inflammation and the itchiness, it also works quite well with bee stings.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Normal scratching may introduce something worse, such as a staph infection in the open part of the bite/ scratch. These can become very inflamed and produce scarring.

There is a very good dominican product out called "Carbocel Gel" which costs about RD$100 or $125 for a 4 ounce bottle. It is made from natural oils (I think laurel, thyme and coconut). It is a bactericide and fungicide, and also does well at conditioning the skin.

I was told by a dermatologist to use it, and it has done wonders for me. You just take a small amount and lather up on the affected skin, and then let the lather stay put for a couple of minutes and then wash it off. I have used it once or twice a day now for about a month, and there are no signs left of my problem. Should work great on your problem, and it's an affordable solution.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
thanks for all the good advice...

this is just a sweet young girl whose parents died when she was very young and she was taken in by some lady who I understand her main interest to be having someone to do the work around the house...sort of a cinderella story. But very nice girl who goes to church with some friends of ours. So we going to help her.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Snuffy said:
minthplants and citronellagras..........where would I find these here in DR?

Cintronella grass can be found all over DR. It is called limonsillo, not the fruit (quenepa that is also called limonsillo), but the grass that tea is made from.

Just ask someone to get you una mata de limonsillo para hacer te.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Rick Snyder,

Thanks for the welcome Rick.

I never tried vinegar, especailly for bee stings. Years ago I got bit several times by hornets and my son told me to put meat tenderizer on it. It worked great, however in a search of Dominican grocery stores, I have not found any here. On the Internet it is suggested that "Baking Soda" as a paste also works for bee stings.

Funny to say, but, waiting for my next mosquito bite to try the vinegar.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
When we were kids my mother would take dirt and wet it and put it on the bee sting and the sting would go right away. I still do it works the best.