Status
Not open for further replies.

bitterestbuffalo

Jul 20, 2006
Hi! I am planning on coming to Puerto Plata and staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada this January for my honeymoon. I have never been to the Dominican Republic before! I am looking for advice and suggestions of things to do.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know anyone who's been to the Dominican Republic and I am at a total loss!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Before we can suggest things to do, we need some furhter info. For example, are you bringing your new spouse along?;)

bitterestbuffalo

Jul 20, 2006
yes. both my new husband and i will be coming. Also, we are vegetarians and are concerned about food options outside the resort. ;)

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Before we can suggest things to do, we need some furhter info. For example, are you bringing your new spouse along?;)

Lol

Firstly congrats on your upcoming wedding. Dont listen to reps and other scaremongers who tell you not to leave the resort as long as you are sensible you are safe and you would miss out on alot by staying locked up!
There are loads of trips you can take and dont think you have to book them thru your rep they are just after your cash. I loved Ocean world it was amazing well worth a visit. Im told the catermeran and jeep safari are also excellent and if your into scuba diving its beautiful out there.
Have an amazing time.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
vegetarians huh? let's see, nope can't help you, but i'm sure others will chime in. i'm curious to see if there are any on this board that are vegetarians, i'd like to know what the eat in DR. oh, you must try the cabbage salads, very good! oh, best pineapples in world if you ask me. avocados to die for. enjoy your honeymoon!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Well, Iberostar is one of the better hotels on the North Coast. Food at the hotel should not be a problem. As far as things to do, it depends on your interests. Ocean World is not far and seems to be very popular. They provide transportation.
A day on the beach is Sosua is a good change of pace from the hotel. Sosua is about 20 minutes east of the hotel. It is a beach resort town. Rocky's Restaurant in Sosua makes a veggie pizza. If you are into diving, North Coast Diving in Sosua can set you up.

I'm sure there will be many more people posting further suggestions.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A suggestion

Congrats on your marriage!

Try calling your travel agent (if you are using one) or even try calling the resort to inform them that you guys are in fact "veggie" guys. See if they can perhaps make some considerations for you guys well in advance of your arrival. The Dominican Republic is a very lush country with all types of fruits and vegetables available. I am not sure about what the resort offers but if you wish to take our advice and get out of the resort you guys will be in for a treat! :)

There is a great site for anything you wish to know about the Dominican Republic! I will PM you with this site.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Thats good advice scotty, i stayed ai in sosua and there was always plenty of veggie choices there.

bitterestbuffalo

Jul 20, 2006
thanks for all your advice so far! I love it!

Anyone know of things we can do outside of the resort? What should we not miss? Any good vegetarian places?

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Dont miss ocean world I know i said it before but it is amazing my son and myself swam with dolphins, and also take that trip to sosua and have a cold presidente vestia de novia (did i get that the right way round??) for me. Just make sure you get out of the resort and see a bit of the real dr.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Go to your personal messages

bitterestbuffalo said:

Anyone know of things we can do outside of the resort? What should we not miss? Any good vegetarian places?

Just under where it says "welcome bitterstbuffalo" you will see it spelled out "Private messages". Click on it and it will take you to your personal messages. I sent you a message with 2 sites on it. Enjoy!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Go see Marco & co.

bitterestbuffalo said:

Take a taxi or bus to Sosua. Go into town and ask for Rockys. There you will meet many of the people that post online here.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Are you vegans-vegans? The fish is usually pretty good in the DR, and there's some nice cheese to be found too.

Status
Not open for further replies.