Urgent Plea For Help - Blood Needed

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Please can I ask for your help?

My dear friend, Pauline Wren, from England is awaiting a double heart by-pass operation in Santo Domingo. She is due to have surgery on Tuesday, as a matter of urgency, but it is impossible to find blood for the operation although she is the most common type, O Rh. Positive.

Naturally, her friends on the north coast who have the right blood group are trying to organise a way of donating and sending it down, but at least 8 pints are needed before they can operate.

If anyone is able to help in Santo Domingo, please contact Ramon if you speak Spanish on 809 935 2123 or Pauline on 809 886 7855 if you only speak English or just a little Spanish, as Ramon speaks no English. Pauline does speak Spanish but is pretty exhausted by trying to organise everything and undergoing pre-op tests.

If you are in the Puerto Plata area, we are trying to organise something here and I will post again once I know how we can go about it.

Pauline is a kind and caring person who was in the process of trying to set up an orphanage and horse sanctuary when this illness struck fully. She has been told that if she has a heart attack it will certainly kill her because of the severity of her problem. Please consider helping her so that hopefully she'll be able to fulfil this dream. If you can't help in a practical way, please pray for her recovery.

Very Many Thanks,
Linda Stapleton

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Update on Situation

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to read this and for the personal replies we have had.

The latest is that we can't transport blood from the North Coast for a variety of reasons. I know it's done in other places, but we can't do it here.

The blood has to be given in Santo Domingo not more than 72 hours before it is needed and is then treated immediately. They only will accept donations from people without body piercings and tatoos and seem very reluctant to accept from women at all, so that rules me out on at least two counts.

We have tried to find people who are either in Santo Domingo or who have promised to go there to donate, but it is still uncertain as to whether or not there will be enough. Obviously, all the blood has to be screened so if any is rejected it is important to have more than 8 donors as 8 pints are needed.

We have been touched by the offers of help from complete strangers. If you are in a position to help and are in Santo Domingo, please do get in touch with Pauline or Ramon (details in first post).

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

God bless you all.

Linda

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Good News

Pauline Wren had her operation today, with enough blood available, and so far it seems to have been a success. She has a long way to go, but I know she has been encouraged by the many offers of help and well wishes.

Thank you all again.

Linda Stapleton

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Thats excellent news. Thankyou for letting us know, ive been wondering how things were.