DR's bright future

rich17

May 1, 2006
good or bad?

there goes the neighborhood. although ,american dollars will be flowing in ,lets see how much trickles down to the poor. the beauty of north coast is its underdevelopment. we dont need all the retiries coming down here( new florida?)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Investment is always good.

rich17 said:
there goes the neighborhood. although ,american dollars will be flowing in ,lets see how much trickles down to the poor. the beauty of north coast is its underdevelopment. we dont need all the retiries coming down here( new florida?)

The key to investment is a stable government and crime control. Once the word gets out that you can actually live a peaceful, secured, worry-free (cheap) lifestyle in DR, Geezers will start moving in like....er...uhm...need a metaphor here.
Anyway, once there's hard cash making the rounds, everyone will benefit greatly. Including the very poor.
When you consider that there are 50 million "baby boomers" that are retiring at a very accelerated pace, and need a warm, sunny place to do so,the DR has great potential to become very well-off.
But we need someone like Leonel to keep things manageable. If not, it may not happen for a very long time.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Don Juan said:
The key to investment is a stable government and crime control. Once the word gets out that you can actually live a peaceful, secured, worry-free (cheap) lifestyle in DR, Geezers will start moving in like....er...uhm...need a metaphor here.
Anyway, once there's hard cash making the rounds, everyone will benefit greatly. Including the very poor.
When you consider that there are 50 million "baby boomers" that are retiring at a very accelerated pace, and need a warm, sunny place to do so,the DR has great potential to become very well-off.
But we need someone like Leonel to keep things manageable. If not, it may not happen for a very long time.
How long do you think the "cheap" lifestyle will last once the flood gates open?

monster

Oct 16, 2005
rich17 said:

I agree. Being Dominican, I really only see this as a real benefit to foreigners to make more money and exploit the country. Sure it will improve the standard of living in the country, but aside from foreign money coming in, what do we Dominicans really have to look forward to except losing the identity of our country and having to work for foreigners at low wages at resorts. I liked Leonel Fernandez, but at times he reminds me of Fulgencio Batista. In the coming years I forsee that the Dominican Republic will lose much of its sovereignty.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You'd rather maintain the status quo?

monster said:
I agree. Being Dominican, I really only see this as a real benefit to foreigners to make more money and exploit the country. Sure it will improve the standard of living in the country, but aside from foreign money coming in, what do we Dominicans really have to look forward to except losing the identity of our country and having to work for foreigners at low wages at resorts. I liked Leonel Fernandez, but at times he reminds me of Fulgencio Batista. In the coming years I forsee that the Dominican Republic will lose much of its sovereignty.

"A real benefit to foreigners"? Of course! Do you think people, foreign or not invest to lose money?

"sure it will improve the standard of living". What, is that bad?

"what do we Dominicans really have to look forward to"? How about emerging out of dire poverty?

"losing the identity of our country". Au contraire, mon ami. It will enhance our image as a well-to-do nation.

"having to WORK for foreigners at low wages at resorts". Would you rather NOT work? Even at low wages?

"Leonel reminds me of Fulgencio Batista". Would you prefer someone like Castro? Was he ever a better alternative than Batista?

"In the coming years, I foresee the DR losing much of it's sovereignty". In what way? Care to explain that for us?

Sea lo que sea, sin dinero no hay progreso ni hay felicidad. Sin anduyo no hay na!

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Don Juan said:
"A real benefit to foreigners"? Of course! Do you think people, foreign or not invest to lose money?

"sure it will improve the standard of living". What, is that bad?

"what do we Dominicans really have to look forward to"? How about emerging out of dire poverty?

"losing the identity of our country". Au contraire, mon ami. It will enhance our image as a well-to-do nation.

"having to WORK for foreigners at low wages at resorts". Would you rather NOT work? Even at low wages?

"Leonel reminds me of Fulgencio Batista". Would you prefer someone like Castro? Was he ever a better alternative than Batista?

"In the coming years, I foresee the DR losing much of it's sovereignty". In what way? Care to explain that for us?

Sea lo que sea, sin dinero no hay progreso ni hay felicidad. Sin anduyo no hay na!
I am all for progress as long as all Dominicans especially the poor get a fair and equitable share of the bounty.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Don Juan said:

Dominicans can and should do that on their own.

Don Juan said:

Like the Grand Caymens or the Bahamas right. Maybe we should be the next Puerto Rico....

Don Juan said:
I dont care what they invest money for, the government should be encouraging its own people to invest in DR. The only reason the government encourage foreigners is for more tax money for them.

Don Juan said:

I would rather not get off topic.

Don Juan said:
You cant escape poverty living on low wages.

Don Juan said:

That money wont belong to Dominicans.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
american dollars flowing into the country's police system and government to fund electricity and all sorts of government programs. you can't go wrong with this. the only thing this won't fix is the drugs flowing in on their way to the states. the government will make out like bandits and be able to do what they always dreamed of doing. the tiny island could become a very wealthy one if loads of foreigners flow into the country with their entire bank aco****s putting money into dominican circulation. The tourism industry will also boom like never before and the island will be very well off. it will be as welahty as PR. The only problem I see is haiti all running for the border to live in a wealthy country.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
A "Florida-DR", filled with Sea Horses and Cap Canas sounds like a nightmare to me. Those who dream of that should move to the golfcourse in FL. Plenty of lots left for sale, cheaper (than Cap Cana and Sea Horse for sure) and as a bonus you get a Wallmart, Eckards and Macaroni Grill within SUV range.

Nothing against that lifestyle, the thought of it just scares me after having spent 2 years in FL.

Why someone with millions ($) would want to live in the DR and be fenced into one of the high luxury complexes is something that puzzles me. Look at St Marteen, Barts etc. Wonderful islands, 100% 1st world developed, same as DR high luxury without any of the surrounding problems (poverty, security etc).

Last edited:

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Monster, are you one of the Dominicans enjoying the US economy, but you think that foreigners coming to YOUR country will "destroy its sovereignty"?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I can't open that link. I'd like to read it. Is it possible for someone to past it here for everyone to read.

In the meantime, as a property owner on the north coast, I can't see a down side for anyone. More jobs, better roads, more and better police, abundant medical care, higher prices for Dominican land owners selling to gringos, more opportunity for Dominican youth. It's going to happen, and it presents a brighter future. - D

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
u will see more americans retiring in dr with good us pensions and social security i notice dominican jealousy when i talk about the benefits of relocating there because they work off the books driving gypsy livery cabs in the washington heights

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Tuan said:
Monster, are you one of the Dominicans enjoying the US economy, but you think that foreigners coming to YOUR country will "destroy its sovereignty"?
Well I am American of Dominican descent. I was born and raised here, and I plan on staying in the US all my life. I just dont like foreigners exploiting the country where my family came from,thats all, no need to get personal.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
monster - nothing personal

Then I assume you do not mind your own country men exploiting your own people. Your government, over the last 20 years has been raping the majority blind and purposely keeping them in poverty as a means of control.

Look at your bank, drug, electrical, water problem. These are your own country leaders that caused these through corruption and deceit, now I find that more disturbing.

And you realize that you are a very small privileged minority that was able to go to the US.

I?d admire your convictions more if you said you were going to back to the DR and make a change.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
gmiller261 said:
Then I assume you do not mind your own country men exploiting your own people. Your government, over the last 20 years has been raping the majority blind and purposely keeping them in poverty as a means of control.

Look at your bank, drug, electrical, water problem. These are your own country leaders that caused these through corruption and deceit, now I find that more disturbing.

And you realize that you are a very small privileged minority that was able to go to the US.

Lets not get off topic.

gmiller261 said:
I’d admire your convictions more if you said you were going to back to the DR and make a change.

What the hell do you know about me making a change in the DR. Dont assume things that you dont know. Just because I plan on living in the US doesnt mean I'm not making a change.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Sorry, you used the word 'exploiting'

I just followed that lead.

I am just trying to have a written conversation, once again, ?nothing personal?.

Getting back on topic, Americans retiring in the DT can only bring good changes. I see NO exploitation.

Oh, and remote control will not work, It's face time that causes change and makes believers.

Santiagohombre1

Jun 1, 2006
I mean with foreign investments, DR could make out like bandits. Just rip the tourists off and tax them heavily. Use the dough to pull in more tourists and make billions and billions off of tourists and retirees. It is not a big coutnry, 9 million people. Man, there is such potential that these retirees could eradicate the country's poverty!! Anyone who can't see that, just think for a second. WHat type of money will there retirees and tourists throw into the struggling economy? Billions? Tens of Billions? ENough to make it the carribean's wealthiest island?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Wrong! Mr Santiago!

Santiagohombre1 said:
I mean with foreign investments, DR could make out like bandits. Just rip the tourists off and tax them heavily. Use the dough to pull in more tourists and make billions and billions off of tourists and retirees. It is not a big coutnry, 9 million people. Man, there is such potential that these retirees could eradicate the country's poverty!! Anyone who can't see that, just think for a second. WHat type of money will there retirees and tourists throw into the struggling economy? Billions? Tens of Billions? ENough to make it the carribean's wealthiest island?

In order to make money, you don't "just rip the tourists off" and "tax them heavily". ...The whole point here is to make the process of visiting and eventually, moving to DR., cheap and simple.
When you sell an idea, (in this case, retirement homes), you must make it attractive enough for people to buy your product. You must understand that we are not the only destination that has great weather and warm beaches. We must compete with countries such as Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico and a few others.
We need to provide the customer (retiree), with all the advantages of a nation that offers political stability, a low crime rate, and a peaceful, relaxing, soothing lifestyle without the harassment, annoyance and irritation that comes along with the taxing and regulations of big government.
The last thing any retiree wants is the aggravation and pestering of people that get on your nerves.
Make DR a tax-free nation for foreigners, and the influx of all these people carrying billions of Dollars and Euros will create a whole new set of problems for DR......ugh! Lord have mercy!!