Any deals from Toronto to POP?

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I have a place to stay whenever I am in Sosua and I really hate the fact that most packages are cheaper than the flight. Does anyone know if there is an airline that will fly from Toronto Canada to Puerto Plata with or without a stop for a reasonable price? I would even consider flying out of Buffalo (BUF)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I think you will find that a "cheap" scheduled commercial flight into POP is pretty much impossible. Possibly airfare only for an empty seat on a charter. Otherwise try Buffalo to Santiago on Jetblue.

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
We just booked a return flight for $670 (incl taxes) with Skyservice via "Selloffvacations". This is about the cheapest I've ever found from T.O.
I too would be interested if anyone knows of any cheaper deals.
:ermm:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
No such thing, huh?

Alas, so I thought.

I know I said I would consider a flight out of Buffalo, but I doubt any airline flies directly to the Dominican Republic from Buffalo. A flight from BUF to Santiago on JetBlue can sometimes be cheaper, ie $179 each way, but considering the drive to Buffalo, the stopover in NYC and then passage from Santiago to POP *SIGH*...I suppose it's better to just pay the $600-$700 Canadian and fly directly.

The last time I flew through the United States was because I cashed in some airmiles. It only cost me $235 (taxes) plus the 3600 Airmiles, but I had to fly AA who flew to POP from Toronto via Miami. It was fine flying down, but coming back, I waited in an impossibly long line to have my luggage inspected by Dominicans (acting on the behalf of the US) for pork and other "restricted" items. It wasn't the most pleasant experience...The German-Canadian guy behind me was annoyed that they took away his jamon sandwiches that he'd prepared for the flight. Another couple had a bottle of just mamajuana leaves that would've been confiscated had they not got their taxi driver to run out to buy a couple bottles of Brugal to pour over them. It was chaotic!

It would be nice if Air Canada or West Jet or SOMEONE started regular flights to the DR that weren't necessarily for one week. I'd go for a long weekend...it's not that far...Imagine being able to go there in the winter for a long weekend when the cottage is closed here? It only takes slightly longer to fly from Toronto than it does to go to Algonquin...It wouldn't cost me more than a weekend in Montreal either...

I know I'm griping...it would be nice to have that option.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Janni said:
We just booked a return flight for $670 (incl taxes) with Skyservice via "Selloffvacations". This is about the cheapest I've ever found from T.O.
I too would be interested if anyone knows of any cheaper deals.
:ermm:

I have seen on the net recently air canada flight for $525 Canadian (toronto to puerto plata). This is about as good as I have seen in my research. Most times best to book a cheap all-inlcusive and just not show up to the resort...tom

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Try www.sunseekers.ca or www.travelwarehouse.ca. I booked a last minute (booked on a Wed. and left Sat.) YYZ to POP for $59.00 return plus taxes on Air Canada...mind you the taxes were $275 - but still! This was back in June and I haven't seen the prices that low since, but if you have the flexibility to book last minute it's the way to go!

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I really hate the fact that most packages are cheaper than the flight.

I know exactly how you feel im in the same boat as you, im in england and the flights are more than an AI deal, gutted!

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
We try and fly from Toronto to Puerto Plata every couple of months. The cheapest I have been able to purchase for is $248 plus taxes on selloffvacations.com. I did see a flight for $98 return plus taxes a couple of weeks ago. I am currently booking flights for December and, for the length of time we are going, the cheapest has been on Continental via Newark.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Return later .....

nickijay said:
I know exactly how you feel im in the same boat as you, im in england and the flights are more than an AI deal, gutted!
You could use the AI deal for the week then book a return when you're ready. This could only work if your return is flexible. I hope to do that on my next trip - ~ 3 months duration.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
LuvtheDR said:
Try www.sunseekers.ca or www.travelwarehouse.ca. I booked a last minute (booked on a Wed. and left Sat.) YYZ to POP for $59.00 return plus taxes on Air Canada...mind you the taxes were $275 - but still! This was back in June and I haven't seen the prices that low since, but if you have the flexibility to book last minute it's the way to go!

That's an amazing price. If only the airlines would lower the taxes...but that's the best price yet.

Late May/early June is generally a less expensive time to book a flight to the DR...I will keep these sites in mind. Thanks.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
twhitehead said:
Most times best to book a cheap all-inlcusive and just not show up to the resort...tom
There are always some expensive flights that cost more than an AI package but I have never seen the same flight included in the AI package sell for more than the package at the same time.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Malibook said:
There are always some expensive flights that cost more than an AI package but I have never seen the same flight included in the AI package sell for more than the package at the same time.

Malibook, I see it all the time. It seems to more prevalent on last minute deals than when you book a long time in advance. For instance Toronto to Puerto Plata on July 29th flying Air Canada currently is listed at $1003.54 per person for air only:

Departure / Return / Stops Date Flight no. Dep. time Arr. time
Toronto - Puerto plata 2006/07/29 1848 16:05 20:10
Puerto plata - Toronto 2006/08/05 1849 21:10 01:25

Category Price Taxes Total
Per Passenger
Adults (2) $ 728.14 $ 275.40 $ 1003.54

GRAND TOTAL: CAD$ 2007.08

Or you could fly the same flight and stay at Casa Marina in Sosua for $799.88 per person:

Departure / Return Date Flight no. Dep. time Arr. time
TORONTO - PUERTO PLATA 29JUL2006 AC1848 16:05 20:10
PUERTO PLATA - TORONTO 05AUG2006 AC1849 21:10 01:25
Hotel Information
Hotel Name CASA MARINA BEACH AND REEF RESORT
STRD STANDARD GARDEN ROOM-AI / AI ALL INCLUSIVE
Room Occupancy D DOUBLE OCCUPANCY
Fare information
Category Price Taxes Total (CAD)
Per Passenger
ADULT (2) $ 524.48 $ 275.40 $ 799.88
GRAND TOTAL $1599.76

Same flight, same date, same website....don't understand it myself but seems to be quite common. Tom

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
That is a very expensive flight.
Probably a matter of supply and demand plus the tour operator likely has more to lose and is more desperate than the airline.

I often check the flight cost of the package I am booking and have never seen it higher than the AI package, even without a single supplement.

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
Check the charters on Sunseekers.ca....someone on this thread is right, last month Air Canada there was a deal of $60+taxes for 1 week. I know of a fellow who is leaving this Fri. Air Transat for $206+taxes for 2 weeks. Skyservice had the same deal as well. That deal is not available now. You have to check the charter prices frequently, a couple of times a day. Deals can be had.
Sunseekers.ca I find the best source......always found good deals there, and I travel quite a bit to the DR as Rocky can atest to.

Whatever

Sep 30, 2005
Yes trying a find a flight for the long weekend in August to Puerto Plata from Toronto. I have been quoted about $1000.00 just for the 4 days, with a connecting flight in Miami. I agree there should be scheduled flights to the DR. If anyone knows of any last minutes deals going direct that would be wonderful

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
Whatever said:
Yes trying a find a flight for the long weekend in August to Puerto Plata from Toronto. I have been quoted about $1000.00 just for the 4 days, with a connecting flight in Miami. I agree there should be scheduled flights to the DR. If anyone knows of any last minutes deals going direct that would be wonderful

You have flights leaving Fri. and Sat..the 4th and 5th of Aug. for $311+taxes for 1 week. Direct out of Toronto/Puerto Plata
Now if your looking for a 4 day package, you'll have to fly the American airlines as they seem to be the only one offering 4 days. 4 day flights out of Buffalo are approx. $700cdn through Expedia.ca

Last edited: