Noise Pollution / Help ?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Good Evening,

Am fed up with the noise of the planta situated down on the beach of the Samana Wyndam on Playa Coson, Las Terenas. What can be done to combat a company with much deeper pockets than "us" that live up above in the hills ?.
I have spoken with the tourismo and they will help when I have the support of the office of the ambiente. I am asking if anyone else has fought this battle and what were the results and what are the chances of winning ?.

Appreciate the input, Thanks in advance,
cg

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can win if you have more money & time than they do, to waste on forcing them to do it. If not, a sound wall could help.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
More info

Do you know anyone at the local Ambiente office? Do your neighbours suffer the same problem? How many of you? Is the planta allready in a "Sound Proof" building? Is it located on Gov. property (Beach)?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
Do you know anyone at the local Ambiente office? Do your neighbours suffer the same problem? How many of you? Is the planta allready in a "Sound Proof" building? Is it located on Gov. property (Beach)?
Eddy's touched onto a good point.
If there happened to be enough of you who live nearby, who are disturbed by the noise, and you all got together and made a big fuss, there's a much better chance of pressuring the hotel to resolve the problem.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
something similar happened many many years ago with the bayside hill hotel in costambar, puerto plata. when the new floating powerplant moved into the bay it provided lots of noise pollution, air polution, and was an eye soar for all the guest. aparently the millions of dollars spent on the gorgous hotel and all the tourist dollars it brought in wasn't enough to motivate anyone to do anything about it and the hotel closed and is now a pigeon asylum. i hope times have changed and this issue gets resolved.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Wrong Place

CG-LT said:
... the office of the ambiente...

...will not do much.

There are many infringements of the environmental laws in Las Terrenas and its surroundings:
- pollution of rivers and beaches;
- mining without permits;
- oil dumped in holes in the ground on a large scale.

You have the law on your side.
They have the money and the connections.

Sell and move!

m'frog

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
skyblue said:
something similar happened many many years ago with the bayside hill hotel in costambar, puerto plata. when the new floating powerplant moved into the bay it provided lots of noise pollution, air polution, and was an eye soar for all the guest. aparently the millions of dollars spent on the gorgous hotel and all the tourist dollars it brought in wasn't enough to motivate anyone to do anything about it and the hotel closed and is now a pigeon asylum. i hope times have changed and this issue gets resolved.
There is one major difference, which offers the OP more hope than Bayside Hill had. In the above mentioned scenario, you would have been fighting the whole DR government, while the OP would be tackling a less formidable opponent.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Thank You all for your inputs,

Yes, there are quite a few of us affected by the problem, A sound wall is not an option, yes Viva Wyndam has bigger pockets but screw em, it's a fight worth fighting. No,, I will not simply sell & move.
Again, thanks for the input !!
CG

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Contact the local office of the Environment Police directly. It helps that Turismo said they'd help -- as our Green Team blog piece on New Year's Eve in Cabarete showed, sometimes they are the impediment to getting the Environment Police to act. But as others suggested, it's best if the complaint can be a collective one.

FYI, here's the relevant article of the Environment Law:
environment_Noise_Article.jpg

If you think it'd help you make your case and spur the Wyndam into action, you're more than welcome to write a "guest blog" on your problem for the Green Team blog. Think it over.

Good luck!

-- Keith

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Confrontation is perhaps not the best way to go about it to start.

Tourism, like it or not, is the prime mover of the economy out in Las Terenas/Samana and that's not likely to change. Therefore, the generator of a resort is not going to get shut down because some neighbours complain.

My advice? Talk to your neighbours, get them onboard, and then speak with the GM. Tell him about your problem and offer a solution. Tell him you and your neighbours will chip in with him to better insulate the planta house as well as to build a higher, better muffler. With any luck, he'll do his part and contribute to the cost and you'll all have a somewhat less noisy generator.

And before anyone says "Why should he have to pay when the evil empire ai is the one in the wrong", allow me to say that the OP is most likely much more interested in peace and quiet than he is in justice at this point.

Good luck to you.