calling from the Dr

M

Mike

I usually stay at hotels while in Santo Domingo, but on my next trip in January I will be staying at a private residence.

AT&T tells me that I cannot use my calling card from a private residence.

Can anyone tell me the best service to call from the house that will allow me to use a US credit card. Details including the phone # would be apreciated.

Thanks

J

Jim Hinsch

That is incorrect. You can use your AT&T calling card. AT&T, like many long distance carriers, have 800 numbers specific for the Dominican Republic and they do work from private residences, as well as pay phones. In this case, it is called "AT&T DIRECT". After you call the number, you can use your regular AT&T calling card number. Regardless, AT&T is a poor value.

You are better off just dialing direct and reimbursing the owner about RD$10/min. (US$0.63/min), which is what Codetel charges. Most of the companies that sell long distance service out of the USA and provide local 800 number access in the DR raise the price significantly when initiating the call from the DR. Expect to pay US$1/min. or more using that method.

Alternatively, you can purchase calling cards all over the place in the DR and they work from any public phone as well as private residence phones.

Calling centers typically charge about (RD$4-5/min.) US$0.25-31/min.

The Codetel Tropicard calling card (Email-me if you want to buy some) works from the DR and the USA. From the DR to the USA, US$0.48/min., from the USA to the DR, US$0.17/min. There are lots of calling cards out there with different per-minute rates, many that have connect charges. Scan the old messages as this subject has been discussed so many times in the past.

If you want the most convenient option, in my opinion, just bring down a USA compatible analog cell phone, set it for "B" type carrier, and buy the Codetel Comunicard, sold at pharmacies, Codetel call centers, supermercados, and many other places. Then you can make your calls from anyplace you want.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM (12/28/99)

D

Dulcewm in English Sweet Woman

Hi Mike You can purchase calling cards in many of the local stores in any town in the Dominican Republic. The cards come with intructions and come in different money amounts. Good luck and have a fun trip!

M

Me

thanks , Jim, for an excellent run down on this topic. I am saving it in my file.