The PERVERSION of the Legal System on the North Coast

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The legal system here on the North coast is a compete joke.

This morning there were trucks loading the lobby furniture of a big local AI hotel, the result of an 'embargo' granted by a judge who is probably getting paid off by the lawyers handling some frivolous lawsuit against the hotel.

While I don't know the details of this case, from our own experience I can tell you that the 'embargo' is probably the most abused legal avenue one can take when suing somebody. When you get 'embargoed' you know you are living in a 3rd world country.

It is designed to stop companies from moving assets during a lawsuit, however, if your lawyer is 'tight' with the judge you can get one against the other party as long as you are the one doing the suing (no matter how silly the lawsuit is).

This means they can take all movable furniture and assets and place them in safe storage in case they need to be auctioned if you lose the case. Now mind you, this is way before there is even a ruling.

If you have a good lawyer, he will see that you 'embargo yourself' (usually via a friend or someone you trust) to make it impossible for another party to embargo you.

The same thing happens when placing provisional mortgages on your property, also designed to stop companies from moving assets out of a company during a lawsuit. If the lawyer doing the suing knows the judge, it will happen against you. It does not matter if you are financially sound or own Fort Knox, the judge will place a mortgage on your property making your financial life miserable.

I know for a fact that there is a group of north coast lawyers and judges who decide who wins what amount before the court case even starts. All lawyers and probably 3/4 of the judges are in this little mafia system.

In one of our cases, people from the audience bench were allowed to pass notes to the other party's lawyers right smack in the middle of the court case. When our lawyer objected the judge said, 'well its hot in here today so we should be easy.'

I wonder what the tourists are thinking, with the removal of the lobby furniture. This is a big 600 room hotel.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Conchman said:
I know for a fact that there is a group of north coast lawyers and judges who decide who wins what amount before the court case even starts. All lawyers and probably 3/4 of the judges are in this little mafia system.

You are wrong and should stop spewing these hateful lies. The mafia you speak of is nation-wide, nothing even close to a north-coast phenomenon.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
MrMike said:
You are wrong and should stop spewing these hateful lies. The mafia you speak of is nation-wide, nothing even close to a north-coast phenomenon.

ok you're right, its only about half the lawyers and some of the judges...yes its nationwide but in the upper courts in Santo Domingo it is definetly much better with cases getting ruled on merit.

but I like how you talk about my 'lies' and then agree that its nationwide..lmao.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Conchman said:
ok you're right, its only about half the lawyers and some of the judges...yes its nationwide but in the upper courts in Santo Domingo it is definetly much better with cases getting ruled on merit.

I think the reason for that is that in Santo Domingo they have bigger fish to fry. Even in Santo Domingo if the money is there, the corruption will be there too.

In Sosua these guys wake up and check their agendas and see:

"Find some sucker and screw him out of 50,000 pesos"

In SD the agenda says:

"Find some sucker and screw him out of 50 Million pesos"

Of course the press may take more notice of SD cases, so at least there is an outside chance enough people will be watching that they can't get away with everything, but the intent is there.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
You make it sound like placing an embargo on someone...

...is an "easy" process. Like "anyone" can simply wake up in the morning and decide to embargo someone or some company. Doesn't work that way though you may believe it does. It really isn't something that can occur simply "overnight" ...it takes time to layout...is typically a cause of someone not paying their debt...and is typically a result of someone actually enforcing on a legal instrument that is in place.

I am not indicating, however, that a more favorable result will not occur depending on the attorneys you are working with....but isn't that the case in all countries? You get what you pay for.

As far as the case you are discussing ...if I was a big AI with 600 rooms, I think I would prefer to solve the case than to have my front room furniture taken....its really funny from my point of view...but i am sure a tad bit embarrasing to the hotel. If I was setting an embargo ...I would go after the backup generator...not some stupid furniture. This must not have been worth much. Hence....pay the money and avoid the hassle.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
dms3611 said:
...is an "easy" process. Like "anyone" can simply wake up in the morning and decide to embargo someone or some company. Doesn't work that way though you may believe it does. It really isn't something that can occur simply "overnight" ...it takes time to layout...is typically a cause of someone not paying their debt...and is typically a result of someone actually enforcing on a legal instrument that is in place.

I am not indicating, however, that a more favorable result will not occur depending on the attorneys you are working with....but isn't that the case in all countries? You get what you pay for.

As far as the case you are discussing ...if I was a big AI with 600 rooms, I think I would prefer to solve the case than to have my front room furniture taken....its really funny from my point of view...but i am sure a tad bit embarrasing to the hotel. If I was setting an embargo ...I would go after the backup generator...not some stupid furniture. This must not have been worth much. Hence....pay the money and avoid the hassle.

Of course its not easy, but if you got the right lawyer who knows the judge it not much effort or money at all.

Dude, you got no idea, I have seen embargos given out like cheese at a wine tasting party. If your lawyer is tight with the judge, and even if your embargo has no merit, you can get it for less than RD 100K -and it will embarass the **** out of the other side.

BTW, the hotel in question did settle with the lawyers (who made all the money, not the client suing), after a 8hr stand off. A power generator???? you ever tried moving a 100 KW unit ? They take things that are easy to take, like lobby furniture or the hotel telephone computer system. Much more effective.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I spoke to the one of the owners of the hotel last night, and just as I thought, the embargo is complete bullchit and unjustifiable. It stems from an unpaid bill of a few thousand dollars to a supplier from the previous managment company of the hotel, from like 4 or 5 years ago. So I guess its not that hard to get an embargo, all you need is an unpaid bill! Now mind you, this is before any court case or ruling, you can just go into a hotel and seize property.

These lawyers are so bold, its unreal. To give you another example, we had an (ex) employee who resigned and moved off the island. Then we got notice that he is suing us for liquidation, saying he signed the resignation under 'duress.' When we called the ex-employee, he said he is not suing us and that those lawyers do not have power of attorney. Well guess what, those lawyers are suing us anyway, without his approval or power of attorney, just because we are a 'big' target. And how do they get this lawsuit filed on behalf of a client without a power of attorney? Well, ONLY A CORRUPT JUDGE WORKING WITH CORRUPT LAWYERS.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It's just like the Impediments..........

dms3611 said:
... Like "anyone" can simply wake up in the morning and decide to embargo someone or some company. Doesn't work that way though you may believe it does.

VERY EASY to get for STUPID THINGS...............as just published this week in the Domincian Times:

"Thousands of impediments to travel abroad being reviewed "

"SANTO DOMINGO.- The cases of impediments to travel abroad imposed on ordinary people, are being reviewed by an Attorney General Office’s commission.

This declaration was offered by Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito how said the impediments are being investigated to determine their origin; it seems that for a simple street altercation, people are being impeded to travel outside the country.
According to information obtained in the Las Americas International Airport terminal, about 23,000 Dominicans are marked with these impediments."

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
WOW!!! Glad you know so much about this topic and seemingly so much more....

.....certainly look forward to my continued education "at the feet" of so many experts in here on this forum like yourself.

You are correct, I have "no idea". Having been in the DR for the past 12 years, owning and operating several companies in this country and in the surrounding islands, being directly involved with mining operations and in the fabrication of heavy industrial and mining equipment as a main focus of our core company group in the DR, I guess I have just "lost touch" with what is happening around me.

I am coming quick to the realization that without this board and experts like yourself that I would be "enevitably lost" in the legal maze that exists here....

Many Thanks!

Dave

P.S. Move generators all the time...500 KW and larger.

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
dms3611 said:
.....certainly look forward to my continued education "at the feet" of so many experts in here on this forum like yourself.

You are correct, I have "no idea". Having been in the DR for the past 12 years, owning and operating several companies in this country and in the surrounding islands, being directly involved with mining operations and in the fabrication of heavy industrial and mining equipment as a main focus of our core company group in the DR, I guess I have just "lost touch" with what is happening around me.

I am coming quick to the realization that without this board and experts like yourself that I would be "enevitably lost" in the legal maze that exists here....

Many Thanks!

Dave

P.S. Move generators all the time...500 KW and larger.

If you cannot see that embargo's are being used and abused here on a frequent basis, by corrupt lawyers and judges, then you are blind. At least in the Puerto Plata area, but that was my whole point.

Last edited:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
HB...help me. Did I leave my glasses at your place?

....it may be abused if you owe people money and you don't pay for whatever reason (in your stated case the company bought out another company and therefore took on all the previous companies obligations).

However, you have to owe someone something....and there had better be a document/agreement somewhere.

For example, why don't I PM you and give you the name of one of my companies here and see if you can abuse me with an embargo? It's in POP area. Somewhat close to Maimon. Since I don't owe you anything, I know you will not be able to embargo anything. If I did owe you something , you would not be able to embargo quickly....and if I did owe you something, I would be stupid not to resolve the issue with you before the embargo (since a warning is supposed to be issued prior to execution).

Thanks!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey DMS, I understand what you say. But I also have personal knowledge of an embargo placed on someone with an impediemento de salida with no warning, zero paperwork and a trumped up charge with no basis in fact, no paperwork and no validity.

This person only found out about this when he/she was about to get on a plane. Afterwards, when this person went to the authorities to try and sort this out, proving without a shadow of a doubt that he/she was not involved in any wrongdoing, the spurious charge was laid that he/she just may have been a collaborator in someone else's wrongdoing. It was a laughable and spurious charge, but it still takes money, effort and dare I say it, bribes to sort it out.

I have names and facts of course and have seen the little paperwork that now exists. Yes, this was in Puerto Plata.

So, I can agree with both of you, but the above experience taught me something. And that is, that you can take nothing for granted here in the DR. So, I have to say that it is possible to embargo just about anyone for just about anything.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
impediemento de salida....

Hi Chris,

Since I have no personal knowledge on what happens in this "personal" area (except it does seem that this could be an item abused easily in the DR)...I cannot make any comment.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
dms3611 said:
....it may be abused if you owe people money and you don't pay for whatever reason (in your stated case the company bought out another company and therefore took on all the previous companies obligations).

However, you have to owe someone something....and there had better be a document/agreement somewhere.

For example, why don't I PM you and give you the name of one of my companies here and see if you can abuse me with an embargo? It's in POP area. Somewhat close to Maimon. Since I don't owe you anything, I know you will not be able to embargo anything. If I did owe you something , you would not be able to embargo quickly....and if I did owe you something, I would be stupid not to resolve the issue with you before the embargo (since a warning is supposed to be issued prior to execution).

Thanks!

If I wanted to waste time and money on you, I would do it. I could create a fake invoice and sue you for nonpayment. Then get a judge to place an embargo so you don't hide assets during the suit. Or take your property like they did in the link on the above post from El Nacional newspaper.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
dms3611 said:
Hi Chris,

Since I have no personal knowledge on what happens in this "personal" area (except it does seem that this could be an item abused easily in the DR)...I cannot make any comment.

I think I'm trying to support the point of the Perversion ;) This incident was not private but very much business. An employer made some debts and did not pay and vanished. An employee was embargoed on the basis of the tenous fact that they 'must have been in cahoots' with the employer. The employee wanted to go and visit outside of the country 2 years later and was stopped at the airport for an embargo that they knew nothing about.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Like I said before Conchman, I am grateful I can "sit at your feet" and learn.....

However, I just don't believe your concept would ever have a chance to succeed. Should you ever feel inspired to "waste the time", let me know.

Regards!

Last edited: