Military Retiree medical care

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
I am wondering if any US military retirees can expound as to their experiences there trying to use medical and pharmacy benefits. I have done a search and didn't come up with anything. Thanks

Crane

Apr 2, 2006
Our daughter is covered by Tricare. I checked with theTricare Service Center before leaving the US. I was informed that the closest Tricare service center is located in PR. The pharmacies here will not accept your insurance card. However, if you have a recurring prescription you can use the mail order program.

As far as the facilities, well, my daughter required an appendectomy last year. We used Tricare Standard. We were presented with the "TOTAL" amount of the bill (by the director of the hospital) and paid the required 20% deductible before she was released (Bournigal in Puerto Plata). Needless to say, I later received a letter at my US address. The amount of the bill had doubled. In addition, the amount of my check for the deductible had "APPARENTLY" been lost and not posted (although it cleared my bank account). BTW, "ALWAYS" use a check as a form of payment although they insist upon a credit card.

After this experience, my advice to anyone using Tricare would be to obtain insurance here which is fairly cheap. Your deductible will be much cheaper than the 20% of the inflated prices for services they charge Americans.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Seems to me I remember Rick Snyder on this board setting together an information group or something about US military retiree information. It would be worth while sending him a pm or e-mail and enquiring.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Tricare Overseas

I have been using Tricare from Santiago for twenty years with no issues. I pay with credit card and send the bills with a claim form downloaded from the internet to:
http://www.mytricare.com/internet/tric/tri/tricare.nsf/PGS/TRCRBscs_Prgrms_3

TRICARE Overseas
P.O. Box 7985
Madison, WI 53707-7985

I haven't had issues with overbilling.

I use a USA address for the claim so I don't have issues with the Santiago mail system getting reimbursed.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
pma22222 said:
I am wondering if any US military retirees can expound as to their experiences there trying to use medical and pharmacy benefits. I have done a search and didn't come up with anything. Thanks

I had many of the same questions,

Sent TFL an email and got a very ambiguous email in return. Assumed it to be a canned esponse, as is usual with gov't and contractors. Still don't have the info I need to file a claim.

Texas Bill

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Tricare Form

Here is a link to the form (PDF) you need to complete and mail with a copy of your bills. You should keep originals. They have folks who accept the bills in Spanish. Just be sure the Dr. Name, address, phone, is clear. They will call the Dr. here if they .have questions. They convert the RD to $ for you. Pharmacy the same, copy of prescription and bill for drug.

I will be in Santiago this weekend. Send me a PM and I will call if you would like more info.
R
Jimmy

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2642.pdf