Gas generators

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Anyone have any experience with gas generators.

Locally I notice one that is being promoted is the Eaton Cutler-Hammer. I notice the bigger one is 15K.

Feedback welcome.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Havent seen those, please send me some info if you can. Where did you see them?
I would be afraid of having that crappy gas burning smell around though....then again diesel smells really crappy too.
:ermm:

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Gas vs diesel gensets

Gas stationary generators operate on Propane (LPG) or Natural Gas (CNG) fuels. The generators offer extremely quiet operation - less than 70 dB(A) at 7 m (you can easily talk to someone else standing beside the unit). Full 2-wire automatic start for integration with generator start inverters or manual remote switch comes with the unit.

Many homes already have a large propane tank that is occasionally filled by a truck. These generators can tie into that system, bringing an end to constant hauling in of diesel fuel. In addition, The propane tank can now supply fuel for the oven, DHW, clothes dryer etc, reducing electricity consumpion.

Everyone knows about the poor quality of diesel fuel in the DR. Genset fuel filters, injectors and pistons often get damaged or plugged.

In the future, a 20% hydrogen gas can easily mix with propane to reduce fuel cost without any modifications to the engine. This mixture is knowed as ?hythane?. The Hydrogen can be obtained via electrolysis using renewables such as solar panels or wind turbines.

Gas generators are priced less than diesel gensets. Propane residential subsidy (DR) reduces fuel cost. Emmisions are much lower than diesel.

Georgios

Jan 5, 2006
I have a 12K LPG powered generator made by Kohler. I imported it into the country, but they are sold in DR by Ferreteria Americana. It is very quiet when operating and meets the needs for our house, including running the AC.

North Coast Gringo

Jan 30, 2006
l have interest in the gas generator

georgios said:
Gas stationary generators operate on Propane (LPG) or Natural Gas (CNG) fuels. The generators offer extremely quiet operation - less than 70 dB(A) at 7 m (you can easily talk to someone else standing beside the unit). Full 2-wire automatic start for integration with generator start inverters or manual remote switch comes with the unit.

Many homes already have a large propane tank that is occasionally filled by a truck. These generators can tie into that system, bringing an end to constant hauling in of diesel fuel. In addition, The propane tank can now supply fuel for the oven, DHW, clothes dryer etc, reducing electricity consumpion.

Everyone knows about the poor quality of diesel fuel in the DR. Genset fuel filters, injectors and pistons often get damaged or plugged.

In the future, a 20% hydrogen gas can easily mix with propane to reduce fuel cost without any modifications to the engine. This mixture is knowed as ?hythane?. The Hydrogen can be obtained via electrolysis using renewables such as solar panels or wind turbines.

Gas generators are priced less than diesel gensets. Propane residential subsidy (DR) reduces fuel cost. Emmisions are much lower than diesel.

Georgios

Georgios
Where can I get more information about this? I am building a home on the north coast and I know I need a generator. The builder is pushing a diesel, but I would prefer gas for the same attractive reasons you mentioned. I would be concerned about price and service. Although I know I can buy an LP generator in the US for about $4000 for a 15kw.
Mark

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Americana is selling the Kohler gas generators as stated above. I wrote to them and they tell me they have 8.5 and 12kW generators on stock. They have ordered 30kW ones and can import other sizes. The contact is Luis Jose Prieto. His email is LPrieto@americana.com.do

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I asked my guys and all the reports echo what has been said.
Go Gas!! cheaper, quieter and long lasting, with proper maintenence...

HB :D:D

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
It's been a long time since we played golf together at Las Aromas HB. I may be able to squeeze a round of golf this coming September...I'll call first to let you know. Perhaps we could get Grahame to join in...adds a little spice into the game.
Georgios.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Hythane

Hillbilly said:
I asked my guys and all the reports echo what has been said.
Go Gas!! cheaper, quieter and long lasting, with proper maintenence...

HB :D:D

Just to clarify the Hythane issue I would caution everyone to avoid injecting hydrogen into their gas generators. It is quite dangerous. I am testing this
principle using "on demand H2" which means the produced hydrogen is injected without storing it. Will post results when testing is completed.

Hythane info can be found at http://www.hythane.com/

Georgios.

Jan 5, 2006
georgios said:
Just to clarify the Hythane issue I would caution everyone to avoid injecting hydrogen into their gas generators. It is quite dangerous. I am testing this principle using "on demand H2" which means the produced hydrogen is injected without storing it.
I don't think that any of us will try messing around with hydrogen since it's not the easiest thing to get your hands on. That said, like georgios stated, it is very dangerous since it can easily create a very serious explosion.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Hydrogen injection

Hipocrito Mejia said:
I don't think that any of us will try messing around with hydrogen since it's not the easiest thing to get your hands on. That said, like georgios stated, it is very dangerous since it can easily create a very serious explosion.

A Canadian company has developed a H2 generator using simple electrolysis powered by the battery of a truck. The H2 is injected into the air intake of
the diesel engine. The unit is interfaced with the onboard computer. A ratio of 1/400 of H2 is directed into the air intake. This technology is well documented and approved by the
Canadian government. Fuel savings vary from 11% to 18%. These savings
are considered substantial when talking about heavy transport trucks that
accumulate thousands of miles every week. In addition, emmisions are cut
in half & engine horsepower is boosted. The price tag is $14,000 US.

Injecting H2 into diesel engines can be a fuel saver for stationary diesel
generators in the DR. More attractive applications are hotels, factories &
other "large load gensets", not to exclude gated resorts. The payback is
approx 18 months when current fuel monthly cost is $10,000 US. It is
not reccomended for residential applications.

Injecting H2 is easier for gas engines. Both H2 & LPG are gases and can mix
with no problem. Residential gensets can be retrofitted to accept H2 mixed
at the injectors rather than the air intake. No computer required. The H2
generator supplies H2 on demand ( only when the genset is running). The
storage problems of H2 are bypassed. 20% fuel savings are possible. The DC
current required by the H2 electrolysis generator can be solar or wind. The
battery can only produce 2% hydrogen. The price of the H2 generator is the
key. Payback is the issue.

Georgios.