What to bring to sell in DR?

B

batich

Good evening!
Planning to go for another short vacation to Sosua and have a question for knowledgeable people.

Is there anything that I could bring with me from USA to sell in DR with a little profit to offset a portion of travel expenses?

And from DR to sell back in NY?

Or the idea is plain stupid?

I used to travel alot to different countries on different continents and always there is something that is cheap in one place but is in high demand in another.

Not true about DR?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
batich said:
Good evening!
Planning to go for another short vacation to Sosua and have a question for knowledgeable people.

Is there anything that I could bring with me from USA to sell in DR with a little profit to offset a portion of travel expenses?

And from DR to sell back in NY?

Or the idea is plain stupid?

I used to travel alot to different countries on different continents and always there is something that is cheap in one place but is in high demand in another.

Not true about DR?

Sure! there's a lot of stuff you can bring "from USA to sell in DR with a little profit to offset a portion of travel expenses", too bad it's illegal.

B

batich

Mirador said:
Sure! there's a lot of stuff you can bring "from USA to sell in DR with a little profit to offset a portion of travel expenses", too bad it's illegal.

Why illegal? Everybody brings for instance 25 cigars from DR and sells to cigar shops here. I did not do it but I see nothing illegal in it. Not true?
Where to sell to? I do not know. Maybe some consignment stores?
Anyway, I thought this practice exists and asked. If not, forget.
THank you for your time answering!

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I will speak from my limited personal experience.

That is a tough one. You have to go once just to make friends and get real local contacts. Then ask them what they think you can charge locally. That is the tough part! Folks are so poor that they can't afford to pay your cost on most things - as per my experience.

As for coming home - you can try some local crafts, if you meet a craftsperson directly. ask if you can photgraph him/her making the crafts. Inlcude a photo with the crafts.

If you have some nice higuero purses made - they may sell in an ethnic market back home. Also, you could sell Domnican coffee (organic) - in a Farmers Market.

I went to a Dominican grocer and bought a large bag of smaller bags of espresso. Those small bags went easily for $2 USD and are still asked for.

Be careful and do not count on getting rich on your first trip - just study.

Good luck!

G

gary short

I just payed five bucks for five pairs of reading glasses at a dollar store. What do they go for in the DR..............just a thought.....

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Good idea Gary

Not necessarily for sale. Reading glasses are a good idea if you simply are looking for something inexpensive, light to pack, and have a great impact on the person you present them to. My wife usually brings several pairs just to be redundant. Before we leave, she gives all but one away so she can read on the way home. The first thing that most of the ladies grab is their Bible to see if they can read again.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
batich said:
Why illegal? Everybody brings for instance 25 cigars from DR and sells to cigar shops here. I did not do it but I see nothing illegal in it. Not true?
Those 25 cigars are probably Cuban, and hence it is illegal to bring them into the US. [Generally, Dominican cigars sell for less in the US than in the DR].
batich said:
Where to sell to? I do not know. Maybe some consignment stores?
Anyway, I thought this practice exists and asked. If not, forget.
THank you for your time answering!
That's the problem, a consignment store (assuming they exist in the DR), pays you when they sell your product. That might mean never, or at best you get paid a later date for a price less than expected.

There are plenty of products to bring from the US that you can buy at a lesser price and sell for more in the DR. The problem is finding a customer that will pay on delivery.