DILEMMA here with my air from CLEVELAND or CAK and resort cost for December....HELP!

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
OK here's the thing.....

We had an opportunity to purchase our airfare a week and a half ago at $466 through USAir out of Cleveland, RT, for December 18th, but decided to pass on it thinking just maybe MAYBE it would come down.

I should mention the price I've listed DOES include all taxes and fees.

The thing is that it's now sitting at $577 RT per person (as of 7/27) and times two, that comes out to $1154 . Not sure paying that much for air when only doing a 4 nite stay is worth it if the air does not come down.

At this rate, with our $166 for the 4 nites added to that it comes to $1320.

However the hotel, Barcelo Bavaro Caribe is not the greatest property based on the reviews I have read recently. A bit on the old side......but it seemed a bargain at the time we booked it at $166 for 4 nites, considering its ALL INCLUSIVE. And that covers both of us.

The other option is scratching it altogether and hope that another AI comes up WITH air included that is less, like through Apple or Funjet. Not holding my breath on this one though.

I just wish this one would work out.

Our comparison point is this.....we just stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort , Riviera Maya, Mexico in June for $1215 for SEVEN nights AI no less which ALSO included our air, so you can see where I am coming from on this.

We have also stayed at what is now the Bavaro Palladium, which was formerly the Fiesta Bavaro but that was 4 years ago and loved it. Have no idea if this one will even live up to that for Punta Cana, this time around.

Again, didn't really want to pay the SAME, when its LESS nights. And the resort there was 5 years old, this one in Punta is 20 some years old. Worried about how rundown it may be.

The $166 is non-refundable as well and that deal is long long gone now. NO changes can be made. Other than we just lose out on our $166.

Am I being realistic here? So depressed I ddi not grab this at the $466. We have checked air out of CAK and Cincinnati as well and its worse. Our home airport is CAK.

Is there any hope?

We also have flight vouchers we can use on Delta for $122 each but right now Delta is very HIGH compared to the rest of them, if we go that route (preferred ...so we can use these up)

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Airfares usually are up.........

...........from December 15 to January 8th...........BOTH WAYS..............

travel on the 14th or on the 9th of January and the rates are lower...

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Unfortunately the resort is a NON-refundable for the deal we got.....so we are locked into the dates.

Well currently we could do $551 per person RT and with air thats $1102 + our hotel its $1268. (this covers the both of us)

But my question is....does anyone consider $1268 for a 4 night all-inclusive stay including RT air out of CLEVELAND, at the Barcelo Bavaro Caribe Resort in mid-December TOO MUCH for this????

Or are there better deals to be had???

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Stop agonizing, book the trip. (I'm not sure why you didn't book it at $466. I don't know who told you to wait for a better rate).

$1,268 for a 4 night AI vacation during peak season is great. (Granted the food and room probably won't be good, but presumably you'll be on a beach).

If you are still undecided, call the airlines and find out their rules if the fare actually drops. Will they refund the difference in cash or voucher? Will they charge you a change fee?

BTW, welcome to DR1. Let us know how everything goes.

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Well I only have myself to blame....after getting a deal to Mexico (Riviera Maya) for travel a couple months ago, $408 RT, thought perhaps we would be just as lucky with this...

Guess not... my mistake.....and a pretty big one at that.......ouch!!!!! :0(

Last edited:

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
OK....we bit the bullet....ending up paying $577 RT for the air (wife and I) but it's out of our hometowm airport CAK instead of the hour drive it would have been to the CLE airport. There was only a $54 difference and at this point I have not seen the air come down for the CAK connection, in fact the leg coming back went up $30. That was since yesterday. So figured if I was going to do this I better do it now. The availability was starting to diminish as well.

In fact CAK (Canton-Akron) departures to Punta never went below $540 RT anyhow including taxes and fees. It was the CLE connections that was always coming up a better price, but right now they are about the same.

Considernig the state of normal Cleveland winter weather overall and the airport being near the lakefront, those storms might have had a way of causing delays and of course by using our local airport, we can avoid parking fees, by not having to leave our car there and of course.

Also with being further away from the lakefront, less chance for weather delays.

So as you can see I am trying to justify and make myself feel betterabout paying the higher fee... LOL

But there were some advantages to it I guess.

I just hope the hotel won't be a disappointment for this money LOL

Anyone have any words of wisdom on that????

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Unbelievable! I just booked that flight only a couple of hours ago and low and behold the air is now $266 MORE for the same one!

Whew....I would have passed on that.....

Maybe I do feel lucky NOW... LOL