Carro Publico Etiquette ?

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
When standing along the side of the street, waiting for a carro or a guagua, and a carro arrives with space for one... is there any consideration for who gets to board first?

The first person who had begun standing there?

Ladies first?

The first one to dive in?

Coming from NY, I know well the frustration of people "cab jumping", but cant seem to discern any pattern here. Ive seen people jump ahead of others, who dont even seem to mind, much less argue, as they would in NY.

Is there an etiquette?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
fightingirish said:

Is there an etiquette?
Nope. The usual occurance if you are waiting for a guagua or publico is the next person will walk past you up the street so he intercepts the vehicle before it reaches you.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
fightingirish said:
When standing along the side of the street, waiting for a carro or a guagua, and a carro arrives with space for one... is there any consideration for who gets to board first?

Ladies first?

Coming from NY, I know well the frustration of people "cab jumping", but cant seem to discern any pattern here. Ive seen people jump ahead of others, who dont even seem to mind, much less argue, as they would in NY.

Is there an etiquette?

Ladies first????? inthe DR??? what's that???
They could trip you to get ahead of you into the concho.

its like its acceptable to be rude.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
fightingirish said:

Ladies first?

Seven trips to the DR and just starting to use public transport. Leave your NY manners home just as I leave my NJ manners home. My guess is the first person to jump in has the seat, roof, of hood. I just laugh and enjoy myself.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bigbird said:
My guess is the first person to jump in has the seat, roof, of hood. I just laugh and enjoy myself.

Correct, it is every man and woman for himself. Just don't trample anybody in your haste to get a seat.

Also, don't feel you have to stand where everybody else is. The driver is looking to fill his seats and will pick up anybody who wants a ride. There are no set stops. I often walk a short way in the direction the car will be coming from so that I can flag it down before it gets to the rest.

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Do not ever, under and circumstances, expect displays of courtesy in the DR and you will never be disappointed. The only thing worse is when your own efforts to be courteous to others go unacknowledged.

It gets very tiresome,

Scandall

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
One Place

Beads said:
quite comical stuff and its all true!
The only place where there is a fila is in the Zona Colonial at the main pick up area, in the morning only. this is quite organized, every thing else grab it if you get the chance. Just don't hurt yourself

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Etiquette

No matter how you manage to get into the publico. Do not slam the door shut after you enter or leave. Ease the door shut, slamming may cause the vehicle to disintegrate. Also, the driver may slam you

Regards,
PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
bienamor said:
The only place where there is a fila is in the Zona Colonial at the main pick up area, in the morning only. this is quite organized, every thing else grab it if you get the chance. Just don't hurt yourself

Actually I saw another line the other day just after the Duarte bridge that must have been at least 100m long. I was very impressed! As for etiquette, to dominicans that's just the scratchy thing on the back of your shirt...;) And if you found public cars to be tough, the OHMSA buses are worse!!!

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
reactions

It?s not so much the rudeness of line-jumping that has surprised me. Most any American big city is the same way. What amazed me is that dominicans dont seem to get very angry about being skipped!

I joined bodyshop gym and so am waiting for publicos along la Tiradentes in the early evening. This must not be a common route, cause they come infrequently. When someone jumps ahead of me, Im repressing rage that I should have burned out in the gym! ;)