Moving To Dr

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
I know these questions have probably been asked before, so please, bear with me, and or point me to the right thread:

1. I'm planning to move by next year. I was thinking about buying a Hilux, diesel, 4WD. I have been trying to get the Toyota dealer to answer my question about the price, but to no avail. Does anyone here know the approximately price for a new one? or used one? Can anybody else recommend another car?

2. I have a 79 vw camper I would love to take. It's in excelent condition, new motor, the works, but I heard only cars no older than 5 years. Is that true, or do I have a chance to take it down there?

3. Would it be worth taking personal stuff: TV's, tools, etc. or am I better off just selling the works and buying new stuff down there?

4. I heard there is a new tax for companies. I have my property under a company's name since I bought it a long time ago. I am planning to build a house on it. Should I change it to my personal name to avoid paying unnecessary attorney's fees and taxes. Please advise.

I know this is a mouth full, so I appreciate you'alls time.

Thanks,

ED

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the new Hilux 4 x 4 is about RD$1.4 million
Bring all your tools and important stuff
Sell the VW
Don't sweat the taxes until you are here and see a good lawyer.

HB :D:D

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Thanks Hillbilly.

Sounds like great and to the point advice. Any idea why are cars so darn expensive. Can you recommend another car manufacturere similar which makes sense in DR?

ED

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Richard Edwards said:
Thanks Hillbilly.

Sounds like great and to the point advice. Any idea why are cars so darn expensive. Can you recommend another car manufacturere similar which makes sense in DR?

ED
It's a matter of import taxes.
They used to be a lot higher than they are now.
As much as you pay 50% more for the vehicle at the point of purchase, you also recover it at the point of sale.
There are cheaper brands than Toyota, of course, but it may be wiser to have a slightly used Toyota, than a brand new cheapo brand.
As a rule, if you are a good shopper, you should be able to buy a used vehicle in excellent shape, for approx. 20% to 40% above US Kelley Blue book retail value.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Thanks again. I was just reading the Moving thread and the car section,i and I understand one can bring a new vehicle in. I called the no. for customs to find out, but there's no answer. Do you know how much (approximately) one has to pay for tax, and is it worth it?

ED

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Richard Edwards said:
Thanks again. I was just reading the Moving thread and the car section,i and I understand one can bring a new vehicle in. I called the no. for customs to find out, but there's no answer. Do you know how much (approximately) one has to pay for tax, and is it worth it?

ED
Is it worth it, is the key question.
If it were up to me, I wouldn't do it.
I'm not sure that you can bring one new vehicle in.(Assuming you are talking about one vehicle that you can bring in when getting residency)
I thought you had to own it for a minimum of 1 year.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Thanks again. Will do some more research and let you know. I think you are right about sticking to a well maintained used car/suv.

ED

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You may want to post questions in the legal section. For example, whether or not you can bring a new car or must have owned it for some period prior to imorting it. The lawyer who responds to questions on this board only works with questions in the legal section.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Thanks. Anybody familiar with Altos de Arroyo Hondo area in Santo Domingo. Is it safe enough to buy a condo? Please advise. I'd appreciate it.

ED

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
alternative vehicle

hey richard i love the new hilux but are ridicously expensive as hillbilly mentioned, but you can also opt for a mitsubishi L200 which are dependable, also there are the izuzu Dmax, and nissan frontier all come in diesel and are cheaper than the hilux personally i would go for the dmax great looking good mileage.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Will definitevely check those out. I had read that Nissan and Mitsubishi parts were more expensive, so the price of the Toyota would balance out at the end, or is this true for just used cars.

Thanks,

ED

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Richard Edwards said:
Will definitevely check those out. I had read that Nissan and Mitsubishi parts were more expensive, so the price of the Toyota would balance out at the end, or is this true for just used cars.

Thanks,

ED
What really makes Toyota work out cheaper, is not so much cheaper parts. It's inherent reliability, costing you less on an annual basis, combined with it's higher resale value, are what make it a better deal.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
also remember all these trucks are diesel and diesel trucks unless you really try hard are pretty much indestructible. apart from your normal maintenance you should be fine. the only thing i dont like is that these are midsize trucks and can be a bit on the small side. i drive an ford f150 here in the states so im used to full size.

Richard Edwards

May 14, 2006
Thanks y'all,

How is the f150 compared to the Toyota in terms of price and quality. I thought about a f150 in dr, but I'm afraid the prices will be almost the same. Any idea?

Thanks,

ED

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
f150 awesome truck, looks awesome, performs even better, only thing is its that its kinda of a gas guzzler and parts may be come hard to get in the dominican republic, eventally when im settle down and move to dr i plan on taking an f250 with a diesel even better truck all around.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Unless you're rich, and don't mind wasting money, you might want to stay clear of those Fords, here in the DR.
It's bad enough that they are expensive to fix and you can have some down time problems, when you have to wait for parts, but they rattle loose on bad roads, much more than the Toyotas.
Those I have known who had them, were really thrilled at first, as they are so huge, you feel like you're king of the road, but seem to be even happier to get rid of them within a year, after all the repair inconveniences and the wasted money at the gas pump.
I don't understand those commercials I see on TV about Ford being the number 1 truck in the US.
Number 1 what?
It sure as heck can't be durability.
I see folks with F150's that are 3 & 4 years old, changing axles, and all sorts of steering parts.
This is NOT normal.
Maybe the roads are just too rough for them.
Whatever the reason is, it's not good.
If you have money to blow and are going to buy a new one every year, then why not.
If you value your money, plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time and hate being broken down and without wheels, then forget the F150's & 250's and buy a solid truck.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
are you kidding

you must be joking in respect to ford trucks, ive had an f150 for 3 years now and besides your normal oil change i have not had a single problem. that is why ford is #1 in trucks, the japanese may have a strong hold on the sedan business but they will never build a truck as solid as an american truck, they have tried with the toyota tundra and nissan titan but these are wimpy full size trucks, and you cant be serious about an f250 not being reliable i know people that have driven them well over 200,000 MILES and the only thing done to them have been timing belt and maybe starter. getting back to the original topic richard your only problem with an f150 is the gas you will probably get 13-15 miles per gallon in the city and 17-19 in the highway. now with a diesel f250 you can add about 2 or 3 mpg to those numbers.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
joseinoa said:
you must be joking in respect to ford trucks,
Nope.
I'm really not joking.
I have to assume, judging by the good service your Ford has given you, that you must not live in the DR.
The DR is a different world.
Just the road surface alone is enough to prematurely wear out all suspension, drive train & steering mechanisms.
Then there's the constant heat combined with salt air that does inconceivable things to one's vehicle.
One ride from Sosua to Santiago puts more wear on a car/truck, than driving from Chicago to Florida on those nicely paved interstates & turnpikes.
The maintenance problems people have with the F150s here, have to do with undercarriage parts, like axle assemblies, axle seals, CV boots, CV joints, wheel bearings, steering assemblies, etc, along with them developing lots of cabin rattles & squeaks.
Nobody seems to be having troubles with motors or transmissions.
Owning a F150 in the DR can drive you stark crazy, until it gets to the point that you don't want to take long trips or go down rough roads, for fear of breaking down.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Its easy ... just check what the farmers and rural people drive here in the DR. It is all Toyotas. They do seem to take to our unique road conditions better.