Good clean apartments for rent?

philtam

Jul 29, 2006
Can anyone guide me in the right direction on finding a apartment for rent when we arrive? We will be spending 10 days doing research to make sure this is the place we would like to move to. It would sure help if we had some direction to start with. We would like to stay near the beaches and of course in a reputable area. Thank you!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is a very big island. Where do you want to go to? North Coast, South Coast, East Coast. You can also choose to stay Centrally and visit all of these coasts easily. We do need to know where?

philtam

Jul 29, 2006
We were thinking of the south. Not right in Santo Domingo, but close to that. We're open for suggestions.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
philtam said:
Can anyone guide me in the right direction on finding a apartment for rent when we arrive? We will be spending 10 days doing research to make sure this is the place we would like to move to. It would sure help if we had some direction to start with. We would like to stay near the beaches and of course in a reputable area. Thank you!

Ok...I'm a little confused as to what you are doing and what you need...

If you are JUST NOW going to Dominican Republic, don't know the island and are going to do the research, you can't rent an apartment...You would have no idea as to where to even begin...and it can be quite tricky...You'll know why after you spend a few days in the country...

You should just look for a hotel in Santo Domingo, the capital, and from there spread out to get to know the different places some of the posters have suggested...

The closest beach to Sto. Dgo. is Boca Chica...and even though it's nice, it's not very reputable...especially not to rent an apartment...

If you want to go to the North Coast, you'd be better off...but again...I wouldn't recommend you rent anything yet until you've been there for a few days and travel the island to look for exactly what you want...

Don't risk it...Go to a hotel, not an all-inclusive, so you'll have the chance to get out and adventure...and then...after you've talked to people and see what you are looking for...you'll be better informed and can make a better decision..

Good luck...DR is BEAUTIFUL!!! You'll love it!!!

Come back and let us know...

MQ

philtam

Jul 29, 2006
I didn't plan on coming and renting a apartment. I plan on staying at a hotel and looking around. I was just wondering where would be a good place to look for a apartment so when we're ready to make the move I know what we're getting into. Is there any reason that you had suggested not going to all inclusive? I'm guessing it's because we wouldn't be there the majority of the day and it wouldn't be worth it????????? Because we were actually looking into a all inclusive resort.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
People that go to AI's are usually tempted to just stay inside because they have everything paid for already, so they don't venture out...

It's up to you...but I think it would be a better idea to go to a regular hotel and then you'll have the chance to go to different restaurants and get to know the city and different areas of the country a bit more like a native and not so much as a tourist...I am explaining myself right? It's late...maybe I'm not making much sense...

Thanks for clarifying your first post...I thought you were looking to rent right away...but whether you're going to an AI or a hotel, the best thing to do is to make friends with a local and talk to lots of people about what you want to do...they'll point you in the right direction...BTW...do you speak Spanish at all?

Good luck again!

MQ

philtam

Jul 29, 2006
Thanks for the info. No, i don't speak spanish. You would think so,,,,,, living in California. I'm just starting to study it. Hopefully i catch on fast!!! :) Do you have any suggestions on where to stay for our visit? I've been everywhere on the net checking out hotels. It seems very difficult to find a variety of hotels, or maybe there isn't any? I really appreciate any information that anyone can give me. Thanks!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Like I said...I think you should stay in Santo Domingo...The Intercontinental V Centenario is a great hotel, right on the malecon...or the Jaragua, there are many there...nice hotels...

From there, you could take a trip by bus up to the North Coast...stopping in Santiago to check out the city...beautiful!

Then on the North Coast you can visti Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete...and just talk to people along the way...you will find the true Dominican Republic that way...

Bus ride up there is cheap...and very comfortable with air conditioned buses...The ride is about 4 hours...but worth it...you get to see a lot of the country...

I don't know...just a suggestion...maybe someone else has other ideas they can share with you...

MQ

nyteryda3

Jul 29, 2006
philtam said:
Thanks for the info. No, i don't speak spanish. You would think so,,,,,, living in California. I'm just starting to study it. Hopefully i catch on fast!!! :)

Cool another Cali dude out here. I'm from Orange County, where in Cali are you from? You can pick up Spanish pretty quick if you put forth the effort and try to speak the language as much as possible down here. I didn't really speak it either when I came down about a year ago, but I had taken a couple of semesters of spanish in high school so combining that with tv with spanish subtitles and having to speak it to get around I picked it up pretty quick.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
philtam said:
I've been everywhere on the net checking out hotels. It seems very difficult to find a variety of hotels, or maybe there isn't any? I really appreciate any information that anyone can give me. Thanks!

Hotel Mercure is an excellent choice. Centrally located on El Conde. You can receive a room discount if you pay in advance.

http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/fichehotel/gb/mer/2974/fiche_hotel.shtml

Here is a link for a great map of Santo Domingo. Someone on this site shared the link with me a month ago. I wish I could remember who as the map has been a great help to me and I would like to thank them again.

http://www.colonialzone-dr.com/stodgo_map-lenin.pdf

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jaun Dolio could be a good choice for you to stay and start looking for apartments. A couple of places to stay while looking are Colonial Tropical where you have the best of both worlds with the all inclusive included for the Barcelo Capella across the street. You can find the Colonial listed on the Barcelo website. Also Plaza Real has short term apartments options. They also have a website but it is in Italian. Plaza Azul is another small complex with rooms or small apartments for rent. I have no contact info for Plaza Azul. The ones I have mentioned are all on Calle Blvd. in Jaun Dolio. There are many apartments for rent in Jaun Dolio which is about 40 minutes away from SD. Good Luck