Teen moving to DR

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
hi, im 16 and moving to the dominican republic @ end of august, i was wunderin if ther wa any otha teenager on th dr1 forum cos it wd b reali helpful 2 tlk 2 u cos im a bit scared lol! i wa wunderin like, wt d u all do wen ur not @ skool n wt r u planin on doin once uve left hi skool? sori 4 all the qu. lol plz post bk! :)

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
domincan in wales

baby_g said:
hi, im 16 and moving to the dominican republic @ end of august, i was wunderin if ther wa any otha teenager on th dr1 forum cos it wd b reali helpful 2 tlk 2 u cos im a bit scared lol! i wa wunderin like, wt d u all do wen ur not @ skool n wt r u planin on doin once uve left hi skool? sori 4 all the qu. lol plz post bk! :)
:bunny: I have three step sons one still lives in dom, the other two live in uk one is 14 years old and one is 17 if you look at threads by domincan boy he is the one who is 14 ps what part of the dom are you going to be living in what part of the UK are you from

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I assume your family are moving here?
Let's us know what part of the country and maybe a few posters that have kids around your age will get them to post.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Reminds me of chatting on MSN with my nephews :)

I assume your family are moving here?

Maybe a few posters that have kids around your age will get them to post.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi baby_g, welcome to the DR1 board!
As people asked, it would depend alot on where you are moving. DR is a large island and living in say Santo Domingo, or countryside or say in Sosua or Puerto Plata are all very, very different.
And teens would do different things.

Where we live, in Puerto Plata, it also depends on if you are a girl or boy. My guess by your username, would be that you´re a girl.
Many kids have afternoon school as well ( in ENglish ), the boys play baseball, basketball, they go to Game clubs or internet centers. The listen to alots of music, rent dvds etc, watch baseball and of course study alot at that age.

My son, who is 16, says the following about the girls and what they do:
They hang, walk around, gossip, do windowshopping, do nails both at places or help each other. Visit each other. Have afternoon school.

There is also a huge difference where you live, i.e in the city, outside the city etc. If you speak Spanish or not. If your friends would be from a gringo community or the local teens.

Tell us more as of where you will live, what school you will attend etc, and you will for sure get more replies.

Edited to include:
I guess it also depends on why you are moving here. If you are moving because a parent got a job assignment, you will most probably get help and support as well as advice from the company. If you´re moving to live the adventure, without really knowing alot or having been here alot, it is going to be just that - an adventure.
If you´re moving with a parent, because he/she found the (young ) love of her/his life at a vacation on an all-inclusive resort, it will be harder, as that is not a situation many local, decent families will want to have anything to do with.

Last edited:

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Careful guys.
The OP's post seems to be considered as a very serious matter and your posts could be deleted una vez.

Just like mine and xxx's yesterday... ;)

m'frog[/QUOTE
yea im from the dominican republic so wat u want 2 know about it if u want 2 know more ill tell u more have u got msn if u have well u got 2 add me and ill tell u all about dominican republic so add me martiw@hotmail.co.uk

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
thnx 4 ur replys

:) thnx 4 ur replys bt 2 sum all im sayin is if u havnt gt any thing nice 2 say dnt say anythin @ all! anyway, i am moving to puerto plata with my mum, she has cum 2 do voluntry wrk ova there, nt 4 a sanki love lol :D!!

i am gna b goin 2 skool ova ther... dno which 1 yet bt i dnt fancy goin to the international skool of sosua cos my mum spoke 2 a few parents n they sed its like ther children liv in a buble, not reali my thing lol! like u sed, we r cumin 4 the adventure and the experiance!

i cnt speak any spanish so i dno which skool will even take me!! also d u no if (like in england) i can do apprenticeship, bcause afta i hav finished hi skool i wud love 2 do a hairdressering or barber apprenticeship ova ther is possible!

fnx agen 2 every1, u reali helpd lol! p.s. i am a girl and in england im frm leeds!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Ghetto Slang

baby_g said:
:) thnx 4 ur replys bt 2 sum all im sayin is if u havnt gt any thing nice 2 say dnt say anythin @ all! anyway, i am moving to puerto plata with my mum, she has cum 2 do voluntry wrk ova there, nt 4 a sanki love lol :D!!

i am gna b goin 2 skool ova ther... dno which 1 yet bt i dnt fancy goin to the international skool of sosua cos my mum spoke 2 a few parents n they sed its like ther children liv in a buble, not reali my thing lol! like u sed, we r cumin 4 the adventure and the experiance!

i cnt speak any spanish so i dno which skool will even take me!! also d u no if (like in england) i can do apprenticeship, bcause afta i hav finished hi skool i wud love 2 do a hairdressering or barber apprenticeship ova ther is possible!

fnx agen 2 every1, u reali helpd lol! p.s. i am a girl and in england im frm leeds!

Any gangster rap is just good English compared to this stuff.

Spose da will b sum kidz frum nueba yol in sosa 4 yu.
Teik ker.

vrogg

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
baby_g said:

It?s hard to read your post.
But if your mom is doing volunteer work, you?ll have a net already upon arrival. Shouldn?t be any problems for you to settle and get assistance in that.

I suggest Alic New World school for you in Puerto Plata. They teach in English before lunch, and in Spanish after lunch. Mixed crowed there, expats, visitors, local kids. Go all day from 8-3 so you can take advantage of the Spanish.
The cost is around 2000 pesos per month, and then you pay for lunch ( they sell lunch there ) books, uniform etc and an inscription fee.
This way you won?t feel lost the first time, sitting in a classroom where Spanish is all you hear, and you will miss too much.
It takes time to settle, give yourself that time and you will probably love it here!

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
thank you!

sorry if my writing is hard to understand! i will write in full english from now on, no short hand lol! ok then, do you have any idea of what the uniform is for new alic world because then i can buy it over here! also do you know anything about the apprenticeships i mentioned before, or is there any beauty schools to go to after school?! thank you! :bunny:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Baby G:

Much better, you will get more respect and real sound advice from this board now!

Good luck.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
baby_g said:
sorry if my writing is hard to understand! i will write in full english from now on, no short hand lol! ok then, do you have any idea of what the uniform is for new alic world because then i can buy it over here! also do you know anything about the apprenticeships i mentioned before, or is there any beauty schools to go to after school?! thank you! :bunny:

It would be great if you keep us informed of how school is out there, im thinking of moving out next year and ive got a 12yr old boy so i'll be very interested. Good luck im sure you'll love it, its a great place.
Nic

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
baby_g said:

You buy the uniform at the school, exept for the skirt, that is to be dark blue, white socks and black shoes.
The shirt is with their emblem, also the special outfit for sports.

You get all here at once, it is much easier, and you will see what the others have in forms of shoes etc.
At the inscription ( just go there when you come, take a motoconcho or a taxi etc ), you get a list of books that you need to get for your grade, and you get the books at for instance Libreria Ripoll ( a book shop ). They also carry lists at the shop for all grades at all schools, but in case of chances it is better to go after the one the school gives.
They also separate what you need for the 1st & 2nd semester, so you don?t need to buy all at once if you don?t like to.

The whole island is a beauty school, believe me!
The girls here are very in to this, but in a local way, at their homes, along family and friends. No specific schools though. You will for sure get your share of that anyway!

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
thank you! you have been very helpful... is the skirt pleated or pencil? silly question bt i will buy it before i go!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
baby_g said:
thank you! you have been very helpful... is the skirt pleated or pencil? silly question bt i will buy it before i go!

I don?t remember really. But I would wait if I was you. They are to be of a certain kind, certain length etc.

zozo

Jun 28, 2006
welcome!

Hi Baby G and welcome to the DR.
I have a 15 year old daughter and live in POP. She will be back from vacation and in POP in September, and from the sounds of your posts, you two are on the same page;) . Thank you for going back to good old english for us folks that don't read MSN lingo! If you will be living in POP I'm sure my daughter would love to meet you and show you around, as it is hard to get used to the change coming over at 16. We moved here when she was 11 and she had a hard time adjusting, so I'm sure any friend from abroad will be of help, especially while you learn to speak spanish. Do you know when you will be moving here? It is a fun experience if you are open to the differences.
Once again, good luck and keep on DR1 and when my daughter comes back, I'll tell her to contact you.

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
hiya!
ye i am going to be moving to puerto plata in late august - early september! what school does your daughter go to? It will be great to be able talk with her, thank you :)