Relocating To Dr From The U.s.

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
I'm a Jamaican male in the telecommunications field looking to relocate to DR by the fall of this year. I have been doing research on how to make this move successful. I am networking to try to find employment first and foremost and an apartment to rent. I will take serious suggestions on how to make this a smooth transition. Thank you.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Just curious, what attracts you to the DR? Is it our high standard of living? Our low crime rate? Morally upright government? Unspoiled environment? Our beloved national police force that is sworn to defend and protect the citizenry? Oh wait, I see, you want to check out the myriad employment opportunities there. OK then, go for it. Success is guaranteed. Good luck, amigo. Let us know how you did.

G

gary short

Don Juan said:
Just curious, what attracts you to the DR? Is it our high standard of living? Our low crime rate? Morally upright government? Unspoiled environment? Our beloved national police force that is sworn to defend and protect the citizenry? Oh wait, I see, you want to check out the myriad employment opportunities there. OK then, go for it. Success is guaranteed. Good luck, amigo. Let us know how you did.

Geeeezus don't freekin sugar coat it.......

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
Don Juan said:
Wow... you make it so reassuring, but I feel with my background in the telecom field I might be able to find a little success down there. I've been there 3 times in 2 years and reminds alot of my country Jamaica. I believe their are pros and cons with every situation including the place where you live, but you have to decide what is best for you as an individual. Alot of people in America aren't coming to realization that the middle class is being wiped out slowly... so why not go back to my Carribbean culture. If I had to choose between Jamaica and Dominican Republic... D.R. would be the winner, that is why I'm doing the research and exploring the resources to make it happen. I thank you for your opinion though.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So your plans are to go from..

dwayney said:
Wow... you make it so reassuring, but I feel with my background in the telecom field I might be able to find a little success down there. I've been there 3 times in 2 years and reminds alot of my country Jamaica. I believe their are pros and cons with every situation including the place where you live, but you have to decide what is best for you as an individual. Alot of people in America aren't coming to realization that the middle class is being wiped out slowly... so why not go back to my Carribbean culture. If I had to choose between Jamaica and Dominican Republic... D.R. would be the winner, that is why I'm doing the research and exploring the resources to make it happen. I thank you for your opinion though.
middle class in America(are you there now) to what class in the DR? ie; no work, little knowledge of the country, born in Jamaica, etc.
Thinking of middle class in the DR? Upper? Che?
Let us know where you think you might fit in.
Good luck
J

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
johne said:
middle class in America(are you there now) to what class in the DR? ie; no work, little knowledge of the country, born in Jamaica, etc.
Thinking of middle class in the DR? Upper? Che?
Let us know where you think you might fit in.
Good luck
J
I value everybody's opinion and comments... that is why I posed the question. Plus I do not make hasty decisions when it comes to my livlihood. I know a decision like this is a major step in my life, that is why I'm doing preliminary exploring.

Roverto

Jun 1, 2006
Hi Dwayney,

I too have a great deal of experience in telecoms and have also posted requesting info on where to look or which companies might be interested, but I have not yet had a response, and I have been looking for over a year now on my own as well. My guess is that telecom work is a highly desired type of employment in the DR and jobs are rarely advertised. I would suggest using any contacts you might have in the PBX / active equipment areas of our business to see if they do business there and if you might be able to get a foot in the door that way? Good Luck and let me know if you do land anything.

Cheers,

Roverto

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
Roverto said:
Hi Dwayney,

I too have a great deal of experience in telecoms and have also posted requesting info on where to look or which companies might be interested, but I have not yet had a response, and I have been looking for over a year now on my own as well. My guess is that telecom work is a highly desired type of employment in the DR and jobs are rarely advertised. I would suggest using any contacts you might have in the PBX / active equipment areas of our business to see if they do business there and if you might be able to get a foot in the door that way? Good Luck and let me know if you do land anything.

Cheers,

Roverto
Thanks...will do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Currently there are the folllowing companies in the telecom field:
Orange-a French concern--all cell phones
Centennial-formerly All America Cable and Telegraph
Tricom-private land line and cell phone company--first big threat to
Verizon-formerly CODETEL->part of General(?), now on the block to Slim Helú and his America Móvil company out of México.

There is also the ITLA, an industrial park dedicated to high tech stuff, including telecom.

Now, all that said, jobs here, good paying jobs, are almost always handled through personal contacts.

Good Luck, and go slow.

HB

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dwayney and Roverto,

Welcome both of you to DR1.

Let me start off by stating that there are a few question that I have for the both of you.

1. Can you speak Spanish?

2. Do you have any family that would be moving down here with you?

3. How much total time have you spent in our little paradise?

4. While here where were you and what did you see?

It has been my experience that the answers to these questions play a very important role in the transition to moving here and would give the board a better idea as to the opinions and options we submit to you.

Rick

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
Rick Snyder said:
Dwayney and Roverto,

Let me start off by stating that there are a few question that I have for the both of you.

1. Can you speak Spanish?Yes

2. Do you have any family that would be moving down here with you?No

3. How much total time have you spent in our little paradise?Total of 9 months

4. While here where were you and what did you see?Santiago and Santa Domingo

It has been my experience that the answers to these questions play a very important role in the transition to moving here and would give the board a better idea as to the opinions and options we submit to you.

Rick
Was doing a telemarketing gig in Santiago from a U.S. based company.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Dwayney and Roverto,

1. Can you speak Spanish?

2. Do you have any family that would be moving down here with you?

3. How much total time have you spent in our little paradise?

4. While here where were you and what did you see?

Rick

Another question is what would be defined as Telcom experience? This covers a rather large area. Specifics might help point you in the right direction. Telemarketing don't count. Unless you were setting up the center.

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
bienamor said:
Another question is what would be defined as Telcom experience? This covers a rather large area. Specifics might help point you in the right direction. Telemarketing don't count. Unless you were setting up the center.
The installation and repair of landline telephones for residential and business customers... also installation and repair of wireless internet systems.

Roverto

Jun 1, 2006
Re: Telecom work in the DR

Rick Snyder said:
Dwayney and Roverto,

1. Can you speak Spanish? Si! Hablo Espa?ol fluido.

2. Do you have any family that would be moving down here with you? No

3. How much total time have you spent in our little paradise? Been there 13 times in the last three years for a total of 6 months

4. While here where were you and what did you see? Santo Domingo, Bani, Azua, Santiago, San Juan, Las Matas, Banica & Sabana Mula

Rick

As for my experience, it covers all aspects of telecommunications from wireless design and microwave tower construction down to desktop PC configuration. I have design certifications from all major cabling manufacturers as well as from APC, a major Uninterruptable Power Supply company.

dwayney

Jul 31, 2006
Chris said:
Verizon can really do with good Techs. You need to make a personal contact somewhere in Verizon and then work your way into a job from there.
I hope so because I worked for Verizon for 10 years in NYC.