Do you have Target/Walmart there?

philtam

Jul 29, 2006
What kind of stores does the DR have? When I went to Mexico i was very surprised to see they had a Walmart! So i'm guessing the DR would as well. It will help me determine what kind of things I will want to bring with me when I come. I generally like to pack less and buy when I get to my destination. So knowing whats there will be of great help. Thanks much!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Price Smart, yes. Apart from that, the only foreign supermarket chain is Carrefour from France. There have been rumours about Walmart IIRC.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
helpmann said:
Where's the Price Smart?
According to their website, there are two in the DR:

Avda. Charles Sumner No. 54,
Urb. Los Prados, Santo Domingo
Phone: (809) 334-3333

Calle Estrella Sadhala 22
Urb. Los Prados
Santiago, Republica Dominicana
Phone: (809) 336-1999

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Where NOT what!!

DavidZ said:
It's a membership wholesale club similar to Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's, etc. They sell many American products.
Come on man, learn English. Anybody else want to give it a shot?

Where's the Price Smart?

-Helpmann :rolleyes:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Thanks!

rellosk said:
According to their website, there are two in the DR:

Avda. Charles Sumner No. 54,
Urb. Los Prados, Santo Domingo
Phone: (809) 334-3333

Calle Estrella Sadhala 22
Urb. Los Prados
Santiago, Republica Dominicana
Phone: (809) 336-1999
Thanks!

-Helpmann :)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Carrefur, Sirena (in Mega Centro) and Jumbo (Zona Este of SD) are very similar to Wallmart in terms of size and product selection. They are of course more expensive but even if a Wallmart was to open in the DR, it would feature dominican price tags.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
philtam said:
What kind of stores does the DR have? When I went to Mexico i was very surprised to see they had a Walmart! So i'm guessing the DR would as well. It will help me determine what kind of things I will want to bring with me when I come. I generally like to pack less and buy when I get to my destination. So knowing whats there will be of great help. Thanks much!

I wish!!! For rare stuff Amazon is my best friend!

nyteryda3

Jul 29, 2006
philtam said:
I generally like to pack less and buy when I get to my destination. So knowing whats there will be of great help. Thanks much!

Not the way to go if you are coming down here. Pack heavy, bring anything you can from the states. If you can find it down here it will be more expensive than back in the states, especially electronics and appliances(see $150 for a standard microwave that costs $20 back home). I know before every semester when I come down, I always end up paying the extra $25 for the extra 20lbs because my luggage is packed, same deal with everyone else I know.