Using the term Sankie

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
Just returned from a trip to the DR...spent some time in Santo Domingo visiting a friend and then met up with some friends at an AI for a few days. I rarely post but felt i had to share this as I was very surprised by it.

I go to the DR a few times a year and this was the first time that I heard the term Sankie being used so freely by the workers at the AI! They constantly used it with each other and with the tourists (that know better anyways and understand the term) and would say "no soy sankie pankie" as their selling feature.

At the evening entertainment when the MC for the show (who was part of animacion) announced that the disco would be closing at 12 since the new ruling came out and he actually said on the mic "no sankie pankie tonight". I was floored! A few years back when i referred to someone as a sankie I got a tongue lashing because it was such an offensive term to them...looks like they have accepted it now!

The term is being used so freely now that this whole sankie business shouldn't be surprising!

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Wow. Suprised to hear that the resort staff are using this term freely among the tourists. I guess it won't be long before everyone catches onto the meaning. On another note, you mentioned the early closing of the disco. I have been reading about the curfew and was wondering if it will be affecting the AI's. I will be returning in October, but am now having seconds thoughts because of this. What are the chances these rules will still apply in a few months? Any input welcomed.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It was my understanding that the AI's and hotels were exempt from this new decree..

Maybe they are using the ruling to stop serving alcohol at midnight thus saving themselves all the money the tourists have already paid for their supposedly 'all inclusive' vacations...:(

MQ

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
When I really wanna **** a Dominican that tries to hit on me I just tell them to get their sankie claws off me, they get PIST and walk away.... I think it's funny....

Or I tell them that I love them and wanna marry them tommorow and have a baby. And then next week ill buy them a pasola and a car and a house all within the first 5 mins of them trying to get some lol - Dumb thing about this one is that some of them really believe it lol

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Musicqueen said:
It was my understanding that the AI's and hotels were exempt from this new decree..

Maybe they are using the ruling to stop serving alcohol at midnight thus saving themselves all the money the tourists have already paid for their supposedly 'all inclusive' vacations...:(

MQ

I dont think so MQ because they are even closing ai disco's where you have to pay for alcohol.

Nic

Ella

Jul 30, 2003
CurlyQ - It closed at random times, sometimes 1:30, sometimes 3:00, sometimes 4:00...they don't seem to be folowwing the rules to the T but nonetheless it is impacting the discos on the resort somewhat. Also if they weren't serving alcohol, the disco was closed. No idea how this is all going to pan out but people kept saying that since the AI is on private property it shouldn't be impacted. No worries the sankies found other ways to entertain themselves, it just took a bit more effort.

La barbie, i know what you mean...and i think it still would **** them off if a tourista would call them a sankie to their face but they very clearly have no problems with calling one another a sankie.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks Ella for the info. I was just speaking to some friends from Santo Domingo and they said that AI's were not being affected much or at all. Hope this is the case. The sankies will come in droves; where there's a will there's a way.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Touistic Vocabulary

Ella said:
...I heard the term Sankie being used so freely by the workers at the AI! They constantly used it with each other and with the tourists...
The term is being used so freely now that this whole sankie business shouldn't be surprising!

Well, when the phenomenon came into existence, i.e. the
demand of the guest gringas who desperately want to fall in love with a resort worker, an appropiate word had to be created.

Depending on the situation the word can be insulting, used jokingly or even in appreciation.

Once the term was coined its useage spread, defined more widely and accepted as a touristic colloqialism.

Depending on the situation the word can be insulting, used jokingly or even in appreciation.
A verb form exists, too ('sankipankiar').
There are, however, still areas where the term is not understood.

m'frog

angelC

Aug 1, 2006
being sankified

so, i just got back from my 5th visit to the DR where I was very nearly sankified for the first time, I dont usually fall for that s**t, but as a result I am now seen as a potential victim! oops. still talking to the guy maybe once a week, he's emailing me every day, with the usual "I love yous" it makes me laugh, I can only imagine what he's up to! but its a bit of entertainment, these men are excellent at their job. my point is that i'm taking this as a bit of fun, (because its their job to entertain) so I go back there whenever I feel like a bit of....entertainment and you know, i've always got someone to go out with that is so much fun to be around, rather good in bed and amazing to look at. of course I get all the usual stories that every gringa gets but I have never beleived a word, sankies can make a holiday most memorable, as long as one bears in mind that the whole point of vacation is to get away from real life, its a fantasy. ;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
angelC said:
so, i just got back from my 5th visit to the DR where I was very nearly sankified for the first time, I dont usually fall for that s**t, but as a result I am now seen as a potential victim! oops. still talking to the guy maybe once a week, he's emailing me every day, with the usual "I love yous" it makes me laugh, I can only imagine what he's up to! but its a bit of entertainment, these men are excellent at their job. my point is that i'm taking this as a bit of fun, (because its their job to entertain) so I go back there whenever I feel like a bit of....entertainment and you know, i've always got someone to go out with that is so much fun to be around, rather good in bed and amazing to look at. of course I get all the usual stories that every gringa gets but I have never beleived a word, sankies can make a holiday most memorable, as long as one bears in mind that the whole point of vacation is to get away from real life, its a fantasy. ;)

Good outlook looks like you use your head for more than holding your hat up!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
la_barbie said:
When I really wanna **** a Dominican that tries to hit on me I just tell them to get their sankie claws off me, they get PIST and walk away.... I think it's funny....

Or I tell them that I love them and wanna marry them tommorow and have a baby. And then next week ill buy them a pasola and a car and a house all within the first 5 mins of them trying to get some lol - Dumb thing about this one is that some of them really believe it lol

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to **** someone off for trying to hit on you?

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
Ella said:
At the evening entertainment when the MC for the show (who was part of animacion) announced that the disco would be closing at 12 since the new ruling came out and he actually said on the mic "no sankie pankie tonight". I was floored! A few years back when i referred to someone as a sankie I got a tongue lashing because it was such an offensive term to them...looks like they have accepted it now!

I was in Punta Cana at an AI last May and I heard the entertainment staff say "sanky panky" too!!! :cheeky:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I wish Sankies could afford the internet and respond to these posts. It would be interesting to hear their side of the story.;)

Chicabianca has given good insight.

ChicaBianca

Jul 13, 2006
audrav said:
I wish Sankies could afford the internet and respond to these posts. It would be interesting to hear their side of the story.;)

Chicabianca has given good insight.

Sankies spend a lot of time on the internet because they need to stay in contact with all their girls and give them their wishlist.
But most of them know only hotmail, msn, musica latina and the baseball sites. Even if they know the sites, for most of them it is diffiult to read english, so probabely they will not understand what the forum is about.
But it would be fun if they would read it and maybe reply on it as well.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I remember a while back, when I got a really nasty pm from a little girl saying to me: 'don't think that he's your boyfriend, 'cause he has a lot more girlfriends'...

She was talking about this guy (sankie) I met in Punta Cana and I wrote about it afterwards here in a trip report...Nothing happened between him and me, but she told him what I wrote, because apparently she figured out who I was talking about...and then I got an e-mail from HIM saying how mad he was at me for saying he was a sankie...and how he didn't want to even receive any e-mails from me anymore...(I would write back to him when he e-mailed me)...

Funny thing was that I was saying NICE things about him, how cute he was, and how he tried to hit on me but I stopped him because he was way TOO young...etc...

So they know about this site, believe me...I don't know if anyone actually comes in to read the posts...but they are aware there are sites that talk about them...

Before they used to hate being called a 'sankie'...but times change...who knows...maybe now they see it as a 'status' they're proud to have...

MQ

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
ChicaBianca said:
Sankies spend a lot of time on the internet because they need to stay in contact with all their girls and give them their wishlist.
But most of them know only hotmail, msn, musica latina and the baseball sites. Even if they know the sites, for most of them it is diffiult to read english, so probabely they will not understand what the forum is about.
But it would be fun if they would read it and maybe reply on it as well.

also, they have to pay per minute to be on the net, so by the time they figure out what's being said they would be broke. The sankie I was talking to would talk to me on msn, one day the written english - spelling mainly was bad, then the next time it would be better and better - the last e-mail I got was written in perfect english, there is no way he could learn that fast, so he obviously has hooked up with a translater (new girlfriend)! good for him!

I like hearing about your inside stories, they are exactly like the last conversation I had with my sankie, still find the whole thing amazing, unbelieveable really.:surprised

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Texts That Work

audrav said:
.... so he obviously has hooked up with a translater (new girlfriend)!.....

Not necessarily.
There are standard letters which are passed on in the sankie scene. It did happen before that different victims got the same wording.

m'frog

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
more

mountainfrog said:
Interesting, miss.
Tell us more. ;)

m'frog

BTW, welcome to the board.

thanks for the welcome, m'frog :)

I stayed at Breezes Punta Cana for a week...our room was overlooking the stage for the show, so we watched a few of the productions. At the end of the show one night, the mc told everyone to join them in the disco. 'Then he said something about "sanky panky." I thought it was funny - I've heard of hanky panky, but not sanky...

...so we went to the disco to see what was happening. It's totally underground, and there was no air circulation, no fresh air, and smelled a little unpleasant. The entertainment guys were fabulous dancers, but they were waaaay too sleazy. It was so obvious that they were looking for a girl to get busy with. I danced with one guy, but he started grinding and tried to kiss me. I told him to calm down, but he got even more touchy-feely, so I excused myself and left. I needed some fresh air anyways.

I saw him a few times around the resort over the next few days, and he would always ask if I was going to be at the disco tonight...I would tell him "no" and then a little while later I saw him hitting on other girls by the pool & beach.

I knew they wanted sex, but I had no idea they were also after money until I started reading these boards. I made some friends there, but luckly I never gave anyone money, and I don't keep in touch. I'd like to go back to the DR one day to see what life is really like there, in a tropical paradise.:lick:

miss j

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Not necessarily.
There are standard letters which are passed on in the sankie scene. It did happen before that different victims got the same wording.

m'frog

this wasn't a letter, it was a response to a question.

but I believe the letter thing