Arriving to Santiago airport and need info to Sosua

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
I have my ticket now (Yeeeesss!) and I am traveling from San Francisco to Santiago, the air ticket from SF to Puerto Plata was double the cost Question, what is the least expensive transportation to go from the Santiago airport to Sosua? Would I be able to take a guagua?

Thank you for your help!!!

Florie
Florie1_@yahoo.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The easiest way to get where you are going is by talking to Rocío Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

tell her when you are arriving and the flight number, and she can provide you with excellent transportation to and later on, from your hotel...or lodgings...

No, I don't get a % of her earnings. She and her husband have earned the praise of many, many people that post here because of their good, punctual and courteous service.

HB :D:D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Assuming you are not landing in the middle of the night, one can take a taxi for 20 bucks to the Caribe Tours bus depot, then 6 or 7 buck bus ride to Sosua, and another 3 buck taxi to the center of tourist town.
If you are coming in the middle of the night, you would have to wait for the first bus, which is around 6 AM.
Direct ride by taxi, as mentioned by Hillbilly, would take 1 hour 30 minutes and the other way, depending on how lucky you are with the bus connection, 2 to 3 hours.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Both Rocky and HB's advise are good. The method you choose should depend upon how familiar you are with the area.If your arriving during light hrs and feel adventurous and dont mind taking your luggage around Caribe Tours is definitely a lot cheaper. The above mentioned taxi is quite good also. I used this same taxi service in June and he was as described punctional and friendly and I was riding in the nicest taxi I have ever been in while in the DR.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks for your pm florrie. Everyone here will want to help you to find a place to stay that fits your budget. Just ask the question, describe what you want to spend and what you want, and people here on the board will try and help.

Florie

Jun 21, 2006
Members, thank you for all the responses!

Some of you were asking my arrival time, I will be arriving to STI at 8:28pm. What would be the safest/inexpensive way to travel to Sosua at that time?
I am a bit nervous that I have no idea where to stay and I would like to ask the members for recommendations on a hotel, near the beach, nice,clean,and reasonable. I am not interested in the all-inclusive hotels. Should I be expecting a lot of thunder storms and little time on the beach. Should I bring mosquito repellent? Any other information that I should know to make this trip a wonderful experience?
If any of you have plans to visit San Francisco, please drop me a note: florie1_@yahoo.com and I will be happy to reciprocate.
Thank you!!

Florie

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Florie said:
Some of you were asking my arrival time, I will be arriving to STI at 8:28pm. What would be the safest/inexpensive way to travel to Sosua at that time?

Arriving at that time I would suggest you take Hillbilly's advice in post #4.

"The easiest way to get where you are going is by talking to Rocío Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com"

You also didn't mention when you going to the DR.

How many people are coming with you?

Why did you pick Sosua?

What activities do you like?

A few answers from you will help others provide meaningfull replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Florie said:
I am a bit nervous that I have no idea where to stay and I would like to ask the members for recommendations on a hotel, near the beach, nice,clean,and reasonable. I am not interested in the all-inclusive hotels. Should I be expecting a lot of thunder storms and little time on the beach. Should I bring mosquito repellent? Any other information that I should know to make this trip a wonderful experience?
If any of you have plans to visit San Francisco, please drop me a note: florie1_@yahoo.com and I will be happy to reciprocate.
Thank you!!

Florie
You will have missed the last Caribe Tour bus of the day, arriving at that hour.
The only two possibilities at that point are to take a Taxi all the way, or stay in Santiago one night and take the bus the following day, which is a bit of a waste, IMHO.
The taxi driver we use is the one that Hillbilly mentioned, as he is reliable and even if he is busy, he sends one of his trustworthy friends, and all you have to do is look for someone with a small sign with your name on it, when you arrive.
There are many good hotels in Sosua that are near the beach, and a few that are right on the beach.
The latter, being generally a fair bit more expensive.
Sosua is an inexpensive town, as compared to most, so you can get decent accommodations from $20 to $100 US/night.
Nobody can predict the weather ahead of time, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pack a small umbrella, but it is just as likely that you might not see a drop of rain.
It's anybody's guess.
If you are very susceptible to mosquito bites, you could bring some mosquito repellent or buy some here.
There is little to worry about, as DR1's membership is so vast, that you can pretty much find anything you want on this board, according to your needs & budget.
Sosua is very well located geographically, and you will not be short for things to do.
Scuba, snorkeling, surfing, cave exloring, water parks, go karts, windsurfing, kite surfing, jungle rides, hiking, dancing, drinking, partying, horseback riding, relaxing, sunbathing, swimming, fishing, shopping, etc, are all within minutes of downtown Sosua, and public transport is frequent & inexpensive,
There's a great community of expats around, who are always wiling to help.
The only thing you need worry about is going home exhausted, if you try to do too many things in a short period of time
There a lot of internet cafes and some places that offer free wifi, if you are bringing a laptop.
Sosua has 5 swimmable beaches all within mintutes of eah other.
You would be hard pressed to find a better location.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Florie: do a search at www.debbiesdominicantravels.com and see what people say about Sosúa.
there is a nice place MaineGirl and her daughter stayed at, Tropix....and loved it.

Type in MaineGirl and see what she wrote about her stay.

HB :D:D