Beyond the Beach children's Foundation

After some growing pains we are back with a new name and can be seen on our new website www.beyondthebeach.ca
Chcek out the many different pages we have, projects and charities we will be supporting.

Whether you are from the DR, USA, UK or Canada you can participate in our online auction and our Vacation Giveaway, details are available on our website.

Remember it is the kids of the DR who will benefit from our efforts and your support.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Great job, Wud and Gregg! Anything I can do from my side of the country to help?

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
Sounds interesting. Couple of questions. Is your organization one that takes volunteers directly or do you direct people who want to volunteer in the DR to organizations that already do charity work and need extra hands/money. Or do you accept the money as a sort of fundraising group and give it to the charities?
I have recently begun thinking about hosting volunteer groups of about fifteen from colleges or charity groups in the US that send volunteers to other countries or states to do charity work. Many colleges have programs that send their students on volunteer spring breaks to places that build homes in Appalachia, 3rd world countries etc. My main goal will be to just facillitate the volunteerism; find the charities, bring the volunteers to the sites, and house the volunteers.
My motives are not completely altruistic; looking into Type III Supporting Organization terms which offer 50% tax cuts on revenue. With housing groups free of charge, especially during low season, this tax benefit will outweigh the loss in rent income.
Thanks for any info.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
kirkland1222, our efforts are presently of two main types...

1) We raise cash through direct donations and fund raising efforts (Dominican Fiesta, Online Auction and Dominican Vacation GiveAway) which we in turn donate to existing DR based charities which we have vetted and feel comfortable that they offer a good bang for the buck with little risk of inappropriate use of funds. At present our chosen charities tend to be North Coast based as the infrastructure in Punta Cana is severely lacking and we don't yet have a great feeling about how it is developing. We are working with a couple of people in PUJ on this problem.

2) We assist and direct individual tourists to ensure that their selfless gifts brought to be donated to the Dominican peoples reach appropriate and needy families and charities. Our tourists tend to concentrate on clothing and school supplies; but anything useful is greatly appreciated; although we discourage cash direct donations as we feel that 1) above is a more appropriate avenue for cash. This activity covers the entire country but we are strongest on the North Coast. PUJ is developing and the South Coast is just starting.

Hope this helps you understand us better.

Gregg Andrews
Secretary/Treasurer
Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation

www.beyondthebeach.ca
Gregg.Andrews@GMail.com
Gregg@beyondthebeach.ca

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
why not just use the exising charitable oranizations?
there are many for every palat(e).
makes me suspicious, perhaps unjustifiably so,
but suspicious nevertheless.
can you answer?
where u originate?
fully accredited?
religious based?
results expected?
actual results?
con quien estamos hablando?
history - esperience in this area of work?
di'me socio - di'me.
tf

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Dduuhh. I read the webpage and retract all stupid questions and comments above. best wishes. tf

Thanks tflea for the retraction, we are still working on finalizing the website. We are a Registered not for profit charitable foundation in Canada basically made up of DR travellers with an interest in helping the Children of the DR.

By the way all our administration costs of our foundation are 0% as all expense items are donated. From every dollar we raise 100% is distributed to organizations in the Dominican Republic.

Please check out the website, the Fundraising Projects page and make a donation or the Online Auction page and submit a bid.

Remember it is the kids of the DR who will benefit from our efforts and your support.