benefits of living outside AI Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsilva

Jul 31, 2006
I've always traveled to AI resorts but I'm considering the opposite this time. Can anyone share their thoughts on the benefits of living in a private villa rather than an AI resort.

To me the prices seems the same with flight + taxes and AI or private villa. Except in the Private Villa there is no food provided (the food usually sucks in the AI resort anyways but there's plenty of alcohol)

Your thoughts...

Thank You
AD

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Skip the AI buddy youll be miserable in one of those prison camps! Any group of young single guys should experience the DR outside the AI. Itll be a trip youll NEVER FORGET!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The cost of villas varies enormously dependent on the size, level of luxuriousness, and most importantly the location. AI prices can also vary a lot, based on season, facilies, location and reputation. I assume you are looking at particular properties in making comparisons. In general, from a strictly economic standpoint, it is tough to beat an AI package deal for airfare, lodging, booze and food.

Having said that, I have never stayed in one, because IMHO I would give up so much in other areas. I think no matter how determined the AI customer may be to get out and experience the "real" DR, the draw of the already-paid-for food and booze and the scare tactics of the hotel staff, constantly warning of the dangers out there, often keeps them from exploring all the possibilities. Also, if you are a single traveler, it presents obstacles for making "connections."

Other options would be to stay in a non-AI hotel or to rent a condo, which should cost less than a villa.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's look at this.
1) Where are you (you guys) heading? South Coast? North Coast?
2) Are you timid or adventerous?
3) Do you like vigorous activities like wind surfing, sailboarding, golf (yeah, I know, not so vigorous)....hiking..non-stop partying...

If you are on the North Coast, I can almost guarantee a great time if you go the non-AI route. You can eat at a ton of places, quite inexpensively. Your stay will be reasonable. You will meet a whole bunch of people like yourselves that are more than the average traveller.

Perhaps the denizens of the South Coast can predict the same thing down there, I don't have that much experience there....

HB>>>>>>>>>:p

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
adsilva said:
I've always traveled to AI resorts but I'm considering the opposite this time. Can anyone share their thoughts on the benefits of living in a private villa rather than an AI resort.

To me the prices seems the same with flight + taxes and AI or private villa. Except in the Private Villa there is no food provided (the food usually sucks in the AI resort anyways but there's plenty of alcohol)

Your thoughts...

Thank You

AD

yes, get out of the AI's, the country is gorgeous and you will love it!!! NORTH COAST is awsome and you can rent an apartment or a place near the beach for peanuts. i rented a one bedroom apt blocks from the ocean for RD$12000/month. w/kitchen, marble bathroom, electricity, HOT WATER, tile, security, tv, cable, cleaning lady every other day, ect......

AI's are overrated, get out.

give us more details about where you want to go so we can be more specific. also price range, although i think AI's come out more expensive.

adsilva

Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for the responses. Here are some more details:

• Traveling date - Sept 2 - 9th
  • 5-6 single guys
  • Looking to party with locals and tourists
  • Traveling to North Coast

We're just worried that during the day we may find it boring if we stay at a private villa as usually in an AI resort you will have the chance to meet other singles at the AI resort and invite them to take the local scene together or party at night.

Also is Sept 2-9 a decent draw for tourists to visit the north DR coast?

Finally anyone know where to buy cheap round trip tickets to the DR from Toronto?

Thanks
AD

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Non-AI accommodations

My top 10 reasons to stay out of the resorts:

1. The local people are great
2. I eat what I want when I want
3. The fridge is nice & close, no more 5 min walks to get a drink
4. The pool area is quiet, no loud games, loud music, or megaphones
5. No more listening to daily complaints by unpleasant,noisy tourists with high expectations
6. The public beach is generally quiet & uncrowded (during the week anyway)
7. Many good restaurants with varied menus close by
8. The daily walk to the little market is good exercise
9. I don't overindulge in food/drink on a daily basis
10. Oh yeah, did I mention the local people are great

Sorry, there is an 11th reason. No more listening to screaming children being ignored by their parents.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If your not in the resort the last thing your gonna be is bored. youll wish the days had more hrs in them (especially with the new curfew during the week).

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i go to sosua for 612 air and 150 hotel for 5 days==750....an AI would surely cost me more than 750. i dont eat that much food nor drink that much alcohol so there is no benefit to me for an AI. i use to think security but the dominican people are friendly and very helpful. just remember if you're out past 12:01 a.m, you're probably a criminal !!! LOL

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I did a lot of walking around when I was there last month and I noticed that there were some condos or it looked like apartment buildings across the street from the Super Super. Are they apartments? can someone tell me what they actually are?

We are thinking of staying there in Sosua/Puerto Plata for a 3-4 month stint and rather than stay at a resort would like to stay in a condo to get the feel of the place for if and when we decide to make the move to stay longer. I like the idea of security at the A1's, but there must be some condos that have security also.

So first are those bulidings across from the liquor store condos and do people who work in Sosua live there or on the outskirts?

Thanks in advance for answering my rambling question.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
In and Out

For only one week renting a place seems too much hassle for me.
Why not get a decent AI package and venture out as often as you like, from a safe base so to speak.

m'frog

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
mountainfrog said:
For only one week renting a place seems too much hassle for me.
Why not get a decent AI package and venture out as often as you like, from a safe base so to speak.

m'frog
Exactly.
That's what I do.
Plus the cabanas are very nice and inexpensive.;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
why pay top dollar for an AI with crappy food? I think honestly the price if you do drink and like to eat good food is slightly higher than the AI. Remember though you get what you pay for. The AI food is adequate and edible but theres some awesome restaurants in the DR that if your paying $50-$60 a day for food in the AI youll be less tempted to eat and drink outside. This will take away a LOT from your vacation. You can find food similar to the AI food for much cheaper outside if you do the proper research. If your willing to pay a little more you can get some outrageous food in the higher end restaurants which really isnt very expensive if your used to NY prices. A lot of the AIs use watered down and non top shelf booze also. Outside you get what you ask for.

Its really a no brainer your on vacation! Dont shortchange yourself by saving $20-$30 a day your here to enjoy yourself.

Also if your intending on bringing in guests good luck in the AI the price goes through the roof! Also if the AI is in a secluded area getting to a nice town to enjoy yourself could require some high taxi fares as well. If theres no public transportation the taxis can charge quite a bit.

I spent a week in a resort in Bayahibe some years ago and the local town it was near was dead at night. It cost $60 per night round trip for a taxi to get to someplace where there was local action. So keep this in mind also.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why not stay at Hotel Europa, or the guest house there ? Condos Dominicano, The new garden hotel, Hotel Don Andres (appartments) Hotel Orchidee or Casa Valeria ?

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
When in the DR with my son i think i'll almost always go ai as theres plenty for him to do, but on my own i'd prefer non ai. However if you are booking last minute the ai route seems alot cheaper from the UK at least. I paid £400 each for us with taxes and everything it was just a little over £500 i cant find flights and accomodation for 2 weeks any cheaper. (if anyone cant let me know!!)

Nic

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Beads said:
why pay top dollar for an AI with crappy food?
I have paid as little as $613 CAD and always less than $800.

Like Froggy said, the AI is my secure home base sanctuary.

It is not about saving money.
I blow a hell of a lot of pesos eating, drinking, and partying all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.