Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bringing your car from the US?

    What exactly are the regulations on bringing your car down? I heard it has to be 5 years or newer. How do they determine the cost when you bring it in and what kind of paperwork do you need? Can I have a loan against my vehicle in the US and bring it down with me?

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philtam
    What exactly are the regulations on bringing your car down? I heard it has to be 5 years or newer. How do they determine the cost when you bring it in and what kind of paperwork do you need? Can I have a loan against my vehicle in the US and bring it down with me?
    The car has to have been registered in the U.S. in your name for at least one year. It must be model year 2001 or newer. The vehicle title has to be in your name only. Banks and loan institutions do not allow secured vehicles out of the country as they would have a hard time trying to repossess. That's why they hold the title until the loan is paid off. The title has to be surrendered to U.S. Customs at time of shipment and they will not allow the car to depart the country without a clean valid title. The U.S. export paperwork must indicate you as the owner and the shipping company as your agent.

    You need to consult a shipping broker - ocean freight forwarder for present regulations and required documentation.


    Regards,
    PJT

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,974
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Yes, but

    Quote Originally Posted by PJT
    The car has to have been registered in the U.S. in your name for at least one year. It must be model year 2001 or newer. The vehicle title has to be in your name only. Banks and loan institutions do not allow secured vehicles out of the country as they would have a hard time trying to repossess. That's why they hold the title until the loan is paid off. The title has to be surrendered to U.S. Customs at time of shipment and they will not allow the car to depart the country without a clean valid title. The U.S. export paperwork must indicate you as the owner and the shipping company as your agent.

    You need to consult a shipping broker - ocean freight forwarder for present regulations and required documentation.


    Regards,
    PJT


    philtam:

    PJT's information is correct if you are bringing the vehicle in to the country after having obtained your residency.

    However, if you just want to send a vehicle, and have not obtained your residency, the vehicle does not have to be registered in your name for at least one year and the car can be shipped by you to yourself, or anyone else for that matter, as long as you have a valid bill of sale and clear title (no liens) in your name.

    Taxes are expensive and determined by the make, model, year, and country of origin.

    My experience is that if you have a 2001, 2002 model year vehicle that is in pristine shape, or at least well cared for, and serviced thoroughly before any anticipated shipping, AND if you can prepare yourself mentally for the usual customs hassles AND if you have someone who can deal with the usual customs hassles, then and only then is it worth it to ship. This assumes you will be in the country a minimum of one year and that if you were to leave, the vehicle would be sold there.


    Respectfully,
    playacaribe2

  4. #4
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    From this link, does

    "DR Law 168 is the importation law for vehicles, and under this law you are allowed to bring one personal vehicle that you have owned for more than one year in your respective country, at a heavily reduced import tax. Anyone, (Dominicans and foreigners) can use it as long as they are making the DR their home. This is why they require the title record and registration plate history. Another thing about Law 168 is that you cannot sell your vehicle for three years after you’ve brought it to the DR. Also, you have to wait another five years to invoke this law again on another vehicle you wish to bring."

    this mean that once I get my provisional residency card in 2 weeks, that I can call on law 168 one time to bring in any vehicle I want (92 chevy with an eight cylinder motor)?

    this paragraph does not specificy if law 168 allows for exceptions to the other laws or what. It reads like it allows for a one time exception to bring in any vehicle for a person relocating from their country to live in the DR.

  6. #6
    Rest in peace Amigo!
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did you miss this:

    "and you cannot bring in a car older than five years old under any circumstance."

    Gregg

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    NO I did not miss that. It was NOT included in the law 168 paragraph

    *A_N_D* considering that junk you copy and paste is not accurate, my question was a very fair question

    (according to the dominican consulate in washington dc that I spoke to today, a dominican citizen (not a resident) CAN bring in a car older than 5 years old... so that is an exception to the "under any circumstance" you copy and paste huh???)

  8. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sure go ahead. Bring a '92 car in.....................and see what happens.

  9. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    7,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And be sure to tell all of us here. We would really like to know

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiggybaby
    NO I did not miss that. It was NOT included in the law 168 paragraph

    *A_N_D* considering that junk you copy and paste is not accurate, my question was a very fair question

    (according to the dominican consulate in washington dc that I spoke to today, a dominican citizen (not a resident) CAN bring in a car older than 5 years old... so that is an exception to the "under any circumstance" you copy and paste huh???)
    Why the venom, one would expect a better response to a serious matter.

    Do not entirely believe what the consulate says, they are staffed by political appointees that have no real background in the import laws of the D.R. What they do is to provide import document legalization, a process that may be done away with soon. This legalization of documents is one source of income for the consulates. Therefore they say yes (OK to import an older car) to everything to earn their revenue. But when the car arrives into the country, you have to deal with Customs and Customs is a branch of government divorced from the consulates. Customs may allow the car in "at a horrendous price"; or order the owner and or shipping company to return the car to origin port; or confiscate the car for government use or sale.

    Regards,
    PJT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •