Gasoil vs Propane?

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Hello everyone,
I need an opinion. I need to purchase a 60 KW generator. Please let me know which is the best way to go, gasoil or propane. The price difference is obouvis but a 100 gallon tank of gasoil vs 100 gallon tank of propane, which will last longer? What about the manintanice?

Thank You!

Blanca

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Diesel is far safer.
Propane is quieter
Everyone with propane has reported good results.
Everyone with diesel gensets are happy two.

Go for the economy....

HB :D:D

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Diesel Safer?

I know Diesel is safer but i plan to berry the tank in the ground. So price wise i am not sure about maintenance propane is the best way?

Jan 5, 2006
We chose a propane powered generator over diesel, and are very happy with it. It's quieter and cleaner than a diesel generator, and maintenance is basicaly the same for both.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
british bulldog:, obviously propane.
Blanca
I do not think you can bury a propane tank!! You have serious corrosion issues plus safety issues. A large propane tank MUST be above ground. I am sure your local propane dealer will tell you the same thing.

HB :(

Jan 5, 2006
In general terms, a propane generator will use 1.5 times the amount of fuel of a diesel generator, so figure the cost based on that. In DR, the cost to run the propane generator is cheaper.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummm 1.5 x 51 = 76.5 pesos a gallon more or less.

Diesel is at 100 a gallon more or less.

Not too bad.

Remember you will not be paying the subsidized price for your propane.

HB

gleeben

Jun 7, 2006
I'd go for propane... but I dont know if you will be able to get a generator that can deliver 60Kw using propane... if you get it go for it.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Thanks hipocrito,i knew propane ran faster than diesel ,and would use more fuel,the reason for my question,and how long will the subsidy last???,not long i think.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bulldog: Please read my post. You will not get subsidized propane for such a large tank. Subsidized propane is only available right now for vehicles and smaller cylinders taken to centrally located filling stations. Even so, if you read my post you will see that there is still a RD$23 peso (more or less) savings LPG vs diesel.

HB

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
hillbilly,read your post!,will the largest propane tank last the 8 to 10 hours needed ,before electric is back on? this is the time needed where i am ,el millon ,st domingo.refilling is no real hardship,every other day.p.s will the diesel motor last longer than the propane?i think so!!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
While I am far from an expert on engine mechanics, I believe that functionally, a propane powered generator would be much more similar to a gasoline than a diesel. I surmise this based soley on the relative ease of converting to propane for gas-powered vehicles. If this is the case, I would think the anticipated life expectancy would be also more similar to gasoline than diesel. By nature, diesel engines are simple, durable and reliable, and can (theoretically) be rebuilt again and again to last almost forever.

For a planta, I believe you will need to get a REALLY BIG tank (permenantly installed) and have the propane delivered by truck.